Sizings getting smaller?

Is it just me or are the sizing of the lingerie getting smaller??
Yes I know it’s lock down and I’ve probably put a few pounds on but I still fit in all my work gear which is size 12…yet I’ve ordered a 14-16 in a cami set and a large in a pair of knickers which say they are size 14…the knickers are lovely and perfect fit…yet the cami set I can only just get the bottoms on and the top is a little tight.
Doesn’t make you feel great. :sob:
Am I alone in this??
Please tell me I’m not going mad :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I think it can depend on the items. I’ve had a fair few lingerie pieces lately, all the same plus size, and some of them I’ve had to adjust them as small as possible and others I’m nearly at the max. If I couldn’t compare them all I’d be panicking that I’ve bulked out, but when I look through old pieces too there’s some that are only just staying up and others that are definitely digging in a bit. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Hi @MrsJames7986 I seem to need to go up at least 1 or 2 dress sizes for some of the brands but it really does depend which brand. I wear a size 12 jeans or 14 for some stores and size 10/12 tops. I’ve recently bought some knickers and ordered a size 12-14 and a 16-18 just in case. Unfortunately even the 16-18 was too small! I know I have a big bum and I don’t like tight knickers but even still… It made me feel rubbish to begin with but it doesn’t really bother me anymore, I just buy whatever fits and makes me feel good.

I think people on this forum are so positive that I’ve started to see these sizes as just a number and not a reflection on how good / bad I look. It’s particularly lovely reading posts from people who are saying how amazing their partners look, it really makes me feel like I can actually believe my OH when he says I look sexy.

1 Like

@Cassii Literally I have had the same experience as you with recent lingerie. Some I’ve had to tighter them right up some and some definitely had enough stretch to fit another size in.

I wouldn’t say there’s been a massive change in sizing. I’ve compared some recent lingerie testers I’ve had vs some I had quite a while ago. I think the issue with cami’s is they’re typically not stretchy. I had the paradise lust one as a tester and omg getting my butt into the bottoms was near impossible. You should have seen the positions I was getting into trying to get the shorts on :joy: With the cami’s, I definitely think you need to size up!

3 Likes

With you on that one @MrsJames7986. I’m still wearing all my size 12 clothing and it fits just the same as ever so I don’t think I’m actually any bigger, but I typically buy ‘Large’ in LH sizing which is supposed to be 14-16 and yet some of those items are really snug on me. One set I bought in size 18-20 recently (as I had previously bought the same set in a different colour and I knew the 14-16 would be snug) and it fits me fine. I really don’t know how a genuine size 20 lady would be expected to get into it though.
Mind you, some of this sizing weirdness might be body shape rather than size. I think sometimes lingerie designers assume you have a classic ‘hourglass’ shape no matter what size you are. If you have a non-hourglass body shape you might well have to size up (or down).

3 Likes

It’s that very cami set I brought lol. Oh well. It can go in my collection until I’ve lost a few inches lol.

2 Likes

@MrsJames7986 It seems like it varies widely between brands. When it says “dress size #” that could mean anything as dress sizes also vary. I really think it’s a crap shoot. If you have the funds, buy two sizes and return the one that does fit. Or ask customer support, they might be able to help. I would guess the reviews say whether they run large, small, just right…

But then again, what does “true to size mean” when the sizing is wonky to begin with! :crazy_face:

1 Like

I’ve found some things for me well and others don’t, I’ve found a lot of the lingerie is fine, if sometimes a little tight on the top half, but the bottom in bodies and such is often too long. But I’m a size small so I can’t go down a size.

@Kitty-Cat01, it absolutely is just a number. People come in all different shapes and sizes, and unless it’s unhealthy there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. It should be embraced and encouraged. And even if it is unhealthy, no one should be blamed, just helped to either put on or lose weight if they can!! My OH is slightly on the bigger side and yet I still find him amazing and beautiful. You can absolutely be stunning whatever size you are.

2 Likes

This is where it’s really handy when people leave reviews that state their size (and even better cup size too). Seriously helps when gauging whether something will be a good fit.

On the plus side (no pun intended :wink:) you can of course return Ill fitting items - always worth remembering to try o before ripping the tags off.

I won’t order anything that hasn’t had more detailed reviews as the wife has dropped down to a 14 (from anything from 18-22 previously) so I’m in the process of having to replace most of her lingerie. Good excuse to shop though…:innocent::innocent:

1 Like