Spotting/bleeding after sex. On Mirena, can anyone advise?

Its amusing to me to see that all those years ago I commented on this thread before I had my mirena, and now I'm about to have mine changed for the first time 😂 Bubblehead, I can tell you that for the first 1yr to 18 months it felt like I had almost constant (but very light) periods. That calmed down and I now only have them once every couple of months as the OP mentioned. They also only usually last 2-3 days and I barely have a need to sanitary products. Except! What OP originally described, about bleeding after sex, is exactly what it can be like - albeit in my experience it has never been bright red, more of a diluted pink. Personally I think that it affects my cervix and causes disruption during rough sessions. The best advice I can offer is to keep checking on your strings, make sure they're in the right place - if they've moved or youre unable to feel them then see you GP immediately; but don't give up and don't be embarrassed; it's only a little blood after all - don't miss out put a towel down and have fun 😂

It’s worth checking. The discharge from medina can be of colour, a brown colour. I’ve had mine for 11 years bad a breaks for children. It’s helped massively with my endo. However, for the last year I’ve had constant spotting and or discharge and I am having to have a merina holiday to check that’s not the issue as your body can reject it at anytime. They do an alternative to medina now, a smaller version

Ladies, thank you so much for your comment and insights into your experiences. I’d looked online for similar experiences and this OP just struck a chord with how things are for me. Everything you read says irregular periods etc for 3-6 months but no mention of months/years after. Jazzam so strange to hear you’re now about to get yours removed! Looking back to when that post was originally written I think we had our kids at pretty much the same time! Only difference is it’s taken me til the past year to do anything about long term contraception. I got pregnant again very quickly after having my daughter, both conceived whilst on the pill and taking it properly, so shied away from intamacy with my partner. In the past year or two we’ve got the pre kids hornyness back and I really don’t want an unplanned pregnancy! I tried the implant last year and my body rejected it, it literally popped out my arm one day so Mirena seems like the next best fit. I need something hormonal that I don’t need to worry about everyday. Really good to know that others have experienced the spotting in between periods after 6+ months. I’m speaking to the doctor tomorrow and was ready to say take it out but I think I’ll give it a few more months. I’m keeping note of periods, spotting, sex etc so at least I might be able to build up a pattern. I’ve got a repeat scan in 3 months too so by then hopefully things will be settled down. (My scan last month showed it sitting there perfectly and hadn’t migrated or been expelled like some horror stories you read. I also regularly check for strings and all ok) I think half of it is just not knowing or being able to see what’s going on inside you. I need to be in control lol In the OP Jazzam you mentioned about your cervix lowering and I can totally relate to that. I’m exactly the same so that could def have something to do with it. I used to love when my partner hit my cervix, call me strange but the pleasure pain was just what I liked. Now I recoil in pain if he goes anywhere near it. So I definitely think the mirena has affected it somehow. I hadn’t read before about a smaller Mirena alternative so I’m definitely going to ask about that tomorrow. Thanks again ladies, you’ve definitely helped to put my mind at rest x

I still love it 😍😂 but yeah, hitting the cervix is a dead set for a day of period like symptoms to follow! My youngest will be 6 in November, I'm actually a little overdue the swap over, but got my swabs booked in for next week so shouldn't be too much longer. I am absolutely cacking my pants at having it removed 😂😂

Glad to hear it’s not just me although it’s prob 2/3 days for me just now ☹️ Hope all goes well next week! I would say don’t cack your pants but I’ve heard removal is worse than insertion. I’d be really interested to hear how you get on. I felt like I was having contractions for days after I got mine in which Is is why I’m determined it’s staying in, we’ll at least for next 4 years! Aww my youngest is 6 in Nov too 😊 scary how quick they grow up but no chance I’m having any more. You hear people getting broody when youngest goes to school. I’m loving the freedom it’s giving me now

Haha ill be sure to report in how bad it is 😂 I dont have time to be broody as I work 50+ a week lol I don't see the 2 kids I have let alone adding in any more 😅