Tall girls in high heels

As a bit of background, I generally hate shoes - they're uncomfy and awkward and I can never find any that fit me. However, I love the look of high heels and would love to learn to wear them. The snag is that I'm already about 5'9", so any heels are going to make me really super tall, and the styles that I like most are generally about 2.5"+.

I'm already 25 as well and have never learned to walk in heels. I've always had confidence issues, and although I'm getting to feel loads better about myself I'm a total sub and so couldn't pull off the whole tall dominant woman thing, not that my partner would want me to - he likes to be in charge.

Is it too late for me to learn? Are there any taller ladies around here who love to rock a nice pair of high heels? Would love to hear some perspectives, both from an 'is it sexy' kind of thing, or what styles might be good for a first-timer like me so I don't fall and break my neck ;)

I know there are some real shoe lovers around here so would love to hear from some high heel experts - I'm totally clueless and need some pointers for what would be a good first purchase. x

I am 5"10 and will happily wear up to a 4" heel.

You could definitely learn and it actually might help your confidence I reckon.

I don't really do dominant, I'm naturally more submissive and I like it that way. But whack the heels on with the sexiest outfit you own and what you are is a proud submissive woman for your man to use and enjoy (and show off out and about if that's your thing).

I would say definitely find a pair you absolute love, and learn to rock them. You don't need loads and loads of shoes. But one super sexy pair is a must I reckon x

I've tried learning but I am very unbalanced, I'm 5'9" too and I feel like I have lanky legs sometimes. I like wearing the smallest heel you can but I stick to converse and ballerina pumps most of the time. I do own heels but I just can't walk in them, my legs get very stiff because I think I'm falling over.

Saying that, I have a pair of leather boots that have quite a tall chunky heel and I feel amazing in them as they make my legs look slimmer and confident does ooze out me. I'd say buy a pair that catch your eye and wear them rounde the house untril you feel comfortable wearing them then when you're ready hit the town in them ^_^ I'm sure you'll turn heads for all the right reasons x

If you want to wear heels start of with a low heel you can always work up to taller styles if you start out with the skyscraper heels chances are you will break a bone.

I'd totally wear heels, if I could find any ones that I like to fit me! I'm 6ft2. So long as I don't wear them when I'm with the OH (He's shorter than I) then it's OK!

If you wanna wear heels wear them and if anyone says you're too tall crush them

If you want to learn how to walk in them you can youtube it believe it or not. I didn't start wearing heels til I was in my 20's as I was always in wellies or trainers due to my lifestyle. I have loads of heels now. I still don't walk fantastic in them but mostly due to a spinal condition, but I found that practiing at home was the best way.

I would suggest a Mary Jane courtshoe style. These will have a lower heel of 2.5 - 4 " and will have straps that help support your foot and ankle. I would stronly recommend a pair with straps as your first pair so you're not worrying about them slipping off your feet as you are trying to learn how to walk in heels. Trying to combat both at the same time is awkward and likely to end up with an ankle strain at least.

As for the height, I think tall woman look fantastic in heels so don't let that bother you.

I love how supportive and helpful you all are. It's nice to hear people being affirming and I'm going to keep looking for a pair of heels that I really like as suggested. Unfortunately there aren't that many shoe shops around where I am (the only good quality one I went to today and they didn't have much heel-y, but at least I got some nice flat boots)... There are tons of shoes I love the look of online but it's very unlikely that they'd fit me, but I'll keep searching :)

I love the suggestion of getting a strappy sort of shoe - they're so pretty anyway, so knowing that they'll give better support is a nice bonus.

Thanks again everyone x

Try wearing heels that have wedges first...that's how I learned to cope with increased height as well as stability.....

I'd try a wedge, a lot more comfortable and sturdy, also look great on long legs. X

I'm 6ft tall and have size 10 feet - a tricky combo! Luckily I've always been a jeans and Converse/DM's kinda girl so it's not been an issue but as I've got older I've grown in self confidence, embraced my femininity a little more and also found shopping for shoes much easier. I never wore any kind of heel until my mid-twenties and I was terrified of falling over at first but I did get used to it. The problem I found was that being so used to always wearing flats, it does take your feet as well as your body time to adjust to the new way of walking. Defo try wearing them round the house first and just in short stages. Even now I can only really wear them for about 3-4hrs at a time but I don't wear them daily so that may be why.

I'm still more of a fan of the flats but as others say, it is nice to have a go-to pair that make you feel sexy. I still only own one pair, my 3rd, and I have to say they are the most comfy so far. I tried lots of styles, shapes, heel sizes, allsorts and have found that something with plenty of support like straps helps as well as a good chunky heel or wedge.

The heels I currently own I refer to as my stripper shoes because they are way higher than I would ever have considered before and they make me feel quite naughty! I'm about 6ft4-5 in them too!

People often assume that if you're tall you shouldn't wear heels cos you don't need the extra height but if you have the confidence to just say 'sod that' then it's a great feeling! I know that people stare at me when I wear mine but then it's unusual to see such a lofty lass in heels to boot! My bf hasn't seen me in them yet, he's about the same height as me but not sure he would like me being so much taller...not sure I would walking arm in arm...but yeah, for a boost of girl power, amazing!

(sorry that was an epic reply, lol!)

Be careful with straps, the first thing crossdressers are told about heels is to avoid strapped shoes to start with. Basically if you fall the strap is likely to cause a lot more damage than just a normal shoe, I have no idea if it's true or not, but it might be worth considering for when your starting out :)

Anji44 wrote:

Try wearing heels that have wedges first...that's how I learned to cope with increased height as well as stability.....

+1

You can get both daytime wedges and also you can get those suited for evening attire. Having the extra support underfoot will gain your stability with the height.

I'm 5'11" and have big feet (8 or 9 depending on the shop) and own a number of heels of different types and heights (though I refuse to go above 3" or wear platforms/stripper shoes) mostly cos I wasn't allowed to when I was younger. They are difficult to walk in but I only wear them occasionally. I recently found a great pair of really sexy 2.5" wedges in M & S of all places and omg are they comfortable to wear and easy to walk in.

Raven93 wrote:

Be careful with straps, the first thing crossdressers are told about heels is to avoid strapped shoes to start with. Basically if you fall the strap is likely to cause a lot more damage than just a normal shoe, I have no idea if it's true or not, but it might be worth considering for when your starting out :)

Good point. I've just always felt more supported with straps rather than constantly feeling like I'm 'stepping out' of the shoe but it does depend. Regardless of straps, 'tis always safer to walk round the house to start with so if you do stumble you'll have something to grab onto and hopefully a soft(er) landing!

i'm 5"10 and wear heels when i go out. I find that wedged heels are more comfy and easier to walk in

OK, so I'm not exactly tall (5ft 4) but I do know I thing or two about shoes (I need the height after all). As others have said- start off small and work your way up- you may like the look of a 2.5" heel but you'll be hating them after an hour or two if you're not used to wearing them. So I'd say go for wider heels with lots of ankle support to start. I'd be careful about straps- not all are supportive and some are easy to slip out from underneath.

After a knee op I couldn't wear heels for a good year or two (it was a nightmare!), so I'd lost some of my "training". I found that wearing heeled boots on a regular basis really helped - easily done in winter- they tend to be a bit easier to walk in and get you used to wearing heels. It's worked for me- now I wear fairly high boots to work on a regular basis, wear them all day, and don't get sore feet. This gives me more confidence to crack out my really high, really pointy, yet reeeaalllly lovely high heels.

Oh- and as for the being tall thing- I'd say just go for it! You'll feel sexy, your legs will look even longer, and you'll be the envy of all the vertically-challenged people like me ;)

It's not too late to learn. I'm tall and wear heels. I had to stop for about 9 months due to a break in my ankle and had to start training myself again by wearing them around the house an hour or so a day while doing housework. It's actually one way to get sissies to wear heels. I also found getting back into yoga helped too (another thing I end up getting my subs to do too).

Boots with chunky heels like heeled dms or cheaper are a great way to gain confidence when out and about. Then it's about working down to a thinner heel, to what you're comfortable with.

I can only wear strap-back wedges though. I have very curvey feet and the other types cut and rub into my ankle far too much. It's odd when normal heels don't do this to me. I've found gel pads pretty useless.

Skitty wrote:

The snag is that I'm already about 5'9", so any heels are going to make me really super tall, and the styles that I like most are generally about 2.5"+.

I just wanted to say that, as a guy, I find tall women in heels very attractive. Please don't waste your time worrying about men who feel imasculated by your stature, just promise not to smirk at our bald spots from up there.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! Hopefully I'll be hitting some shoe shops tomorrow and plan on trying on some different styles (maybe a few might even fit if I'm lucky ;) ) to get an idea of the different heel/strap combos and whatnot.

I'll definitely be sure to take all of your advice though about wearing them around the house if I do manage to get a pair, and I'll try not to go too mad and pick up a pair of 5" stillettos or anything ;) I've always kind of ignored wedge shoes before, but I'll definitely try and put any prejudices about them aside as I do need to remember I'm a total beginner. Honestly I can barely walk in regular flats at the moment because I've been wearing fabric boots for about a year and they've ruined how I walk!