Tattoo to cover up c-section scar: yes or no?

Hi guys,

This is something that's been playing on my mind so I thought I'd see what your take on the situation is.

Ok I'm a tattoo virgin as I haven't got any. I don't like or dislike them, but I do absolutely hate my c-section scar. I'm quite lucky I suppose as I've very little stretch marks and except for a bit of mummy flabby, my tummy looks quite nice and smooth. However, the damn scar has been "upsetting" me for a couple of years now. I do work out regularly, moisturise, etc and as hard as I try, when I look at myself naked, the first thing I'll see is that scar. I'm petite, 5.1 foot and very pear-shaped, and this mark look absolutely massive.

I can't change that and I know I've got to live with it, but since I'm 100% sure done being pregnant and having kids, I thought maybe a lovely tattoo would be a good alternative. I'll still have the scar, but something will be on top of that just to disguise a bit. I haven't made my mind up just yet, so I'd appreciatte your insights into it.

Thanks a lot lovely people.

Go for it, if the scar bothers you the tattoo will help hide it,just choose the design carefully so that you don`t regret it in future.Also,make sure you`re doing it for yourself and not a man, as most men wouldn`t be bothered by a scar.My wife has a hysterectomy scar,i just don`t notice it!

Sorry to hear that the scar bothers you so much, understandable though of course.

It is an entirely personal decision but you do possibly sound more leaning towards getting it done and it is all about what makes you happy (which the scar obviously does not).

Alicia has some good advice about doing some reaserch as it isn't a decision that should be rushed; there are some great tattooists and scar tattoos out there but you don't want to have something that you feel worse about.

I have many scars but one which is only small that I really hate, someone said to me that I could get it covered but due to placement, I'd rather have the scar than a tattoo so I just live with it.

I know that I probably haven't helped you to decide (sorry about that) but it really is an individual thing, either way I hope that you find some way of liking it more x

If you really despise it then go and speak to a tattoo artist. Make sure you research carefully though! depending on your scar and skin a decent tattooist may not do it because scar tissue can be tricky to cover and heal-they may advise you to wait a while longer. With any tattoo it's finding a really good experienced artist and the right design.
I have no issue with scars, I'm proud of them in a strange way, they say "I did this, survived and succeeded" (apart from a couple that say " well that was bloody stupid, don't do that again)

Personally i think that that a C-section scar is a badge of honour. My wife has one and everytime i see it i am really proud of what she went through. To cover up the scar or put a design around it so that you cant notice it would involve having a pretty large design. Really do think about what you would be having and how it may look 10-20 years down the line as the stomach is one of the places on the body that constantly changes size and your workout routine may change over the years. I myself and my wife both have tattoos and i have something called a scarification, this is thr process of cutting the skin or removing sections to create a design out of the scarring. I will warn you that it has a lot of upkeep involved in it for the first two weeks, much more than a tattoo. Whatever you decide i hope it works out well for you.

are you sure you will not have another baby?

mine botheted me but it has faded with time. if you do it work with someone experienced in scar work.

best wishes.

Firstly Iโ€™m sorry to hear it has knocked your confidence and I full well understand how hard it is to have something that bothers and upsets you physically. I think tattoos are fantastic ways of covering scars and other physical things which may upset us, like the 3D nipple tattoos for mastectomy patients. And a tattooist friend of mine did a c section cover up recently by designing a daisy chain which trailed along the scar, it looks excellent and the girl said it boosted her confidence 100%.

If this is relatively fresh then it will fade slowly over time and with some of the products on the market it can fade even quicker so maybe look at the oils and creams first before taking the plunge, the tattoo will need to be slightly bigger than the scar itself so look at a few designs and weigh up the pros and cons. But be aware, tattoos are rather addictive!

If itโ€™s within the first year there are a lot of things you can do to reduce the appearance of the scar. Also there is the option of plastic surgery to have the scar โ€œrevisedโ€ if it older than a year.

I don't mean to pry but how fresh is the scar? Mine took almost 2 years to fully fade to a point it was not as noticeable.

Leave it alone

I don't mean to pry but how fresh is the scar? Mine took almost 2 years to fully fade to a point it was not as noticeable.

That's more than 10 years now. I don't know if it's because my was an emergency c-section and the cut was really massive. I say that because my sister and some of my friends also had a c-section and their scar is way smaller than mine. I've been to the dermathologist and tried all sorts of lotions, oils and this kind of thing and nothing seemed to work. I'm not too obssessed with that and I'm sure there are a lot of people out there with bigger ones and it shouldn't really be a major issue. But it's one of those things, everyone seems to have something they can't stand and mine is this scar

LilKnown: I've heard from some friends that tattoos can be quite addictive so I'm also bearing that in mind.

Anyway guys thanks for replying. I'm quite slow at taking this kind of decision so I've a feeling I might still change my mind and not have it done. Let's see.

Hi Lu SB, I've had two c sections last one being 5 years ago. Mine were always so visible and very obvious and I often wondered why others I'd seen online were tiny and white. Mine finally started to fade more during the third year post c section and became less red. I'm not sure if it really is less noticeable or that I just don't pay attention to it anymore!?
As for tattoos go, I have a lot of scar tissue and it is numb in areas so the idea of having more trauma to the area makes me feel queezy. But I understand not everyone is as sqweemish as me ๐Ÿ˜„
I have seen some wonderful tattoos covering scars and doing wonders for peoples confidence but personally I couldn't do it x

Apparently Bio-oil is supposed to be good for fading scar tissue, might be worth a try before something more drastic. Although it sounds like you have probably already tried everything.

I'd only go the tattoo route if thats something you'd really want. I personally like tattoos and think they can look great on a woman. So if you really can't live with the scar and look into tattoos in that area then I can't see any reason not to. I'd research it and find a decent tattoo artist if you do decide to go for it. If you're artistic you could even design something yourself.

No you should be proud of it ! But if you still want a tattoo then have one on a different area

Heidi920 wrote:

Hi Lu SB, I've had two c sections last one being 5 years ago. Mine were always so visible and very obvious and I often wondered why others I'd seen online were tiny and white. Mine finally started to fade more during the third year post c section and became less red. I'm not sure if it really is less noticeable or that I just don't pay attention to it anymore!?
As for tattoos go, I have a lot of scar tissue and it is numb in areas so the idea of having more trauma to the area makes me feel queezy. But I understand not everyone is as sqweemish as me ๐Ÿ˜„
I have seen some wonderful tattoos covering scars and doing wonders for peoples confidence but personally I couldn't do it x

Hi Heidi yes I'd agree with you regarding the numbness. I do feel all the area around my scar is numb and it feels very weird to touch it. My scar healed well, but it's not smaller at all. I spent years without even looking at it, but now I'm really rediscovering myself and feeling really confident about my body as a whole and when I look that absolutely massive scar, that goes across all my front belly, it's a horrible feeling. Maybe I'll just keep covering it up if I won't feel brave enough to have a tattoo after all.

Keep your chin up Lu SB. As i said earlier in the post i absolutly love my wife's scar as its a reminder of what she went through to have our son. She too was an emergency C-section

K&c30's wrote:

Keep your chin up Lu SB. As i said earlier in the post i absolutly love my wife's scar as its a reminder of what she went through to have our son. She too was an emergency C-section

Ah thanks. That's really nice ![](upload://lJMrTcqgi5lI1FOpb07OYOcv2YF.gif)

I have recently started using Bio oil on my 26 yr old Caesarian scar and it is fading!

Glad it's not Just me that finds it weird to touch!
There is a documentary on BBC Iplayer called 'a tattoo to change my life' which you may find interesting, it ranges from people with major traumas to acne scars etc, some amazing stories!

Penny, that's great to hear ๐Ÿ˜Š