The Great Pub Quiz Game Thread

@Ian_Chimp the strange thing is i’ve only read two of them, i just have one of those brains that accumulate trivia! But i can’t remember numbers! :exploding_head:

Answers!
  1. Blue
  2. Woodstock?
  3. The Lazy Dog
  4. Park ranger?
  5. 7
  6. Elvis?
  7. Gnasher
  8. A blessing
  9. LXIX
  10. Octopus

Really enjoyed this one again Peitho! I’ve been slammed at work this week but will do a round this weekend.

1 Like

Answers to WillC’s Author Round

Authors
  1. ?
  2. Margaret Mitchell
  3. Yani Martel
  4. William Golding (thanks GCSE English)
  5. Herman Melville
  6. ?
  7. George Orwell
  8. John Le Carre
  9. ?
  10. J K Rowling (think it’s Joanne?)

4 edits later and I’ve finally got the formatting down- christ, I can’t even get it right on my own thread

1 Like

Aaarrrrhhhh! I was so focused on the Roman Numerals for 50/500 that I made a proper schoolboy error. :woozy_face: @Ace12345 is going to be pleased with that. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Oh nooooo! Just seen that, I mean it technically makes sense if you follow the rules :laughing:

1 Like

Literature :open_book::nerd_face:

My answers
  1. James Joyce (guessing slightly on initials)
  2. ?
  3. ?
  4. William Golding
  5. Herman Melville (sp?)
  6. Kenneth Graham
  7. George Orwell
  8. John Le Carre
  9. ?
  10. JK Rowling

Not too displeased with that effort though I’m sure I should know who wrote, Gone With the Wind!

Edited to remove indent on my question 3 answer caused apparently by missing the space between the dot and the question mark. Who knew that caused a formatting indent :woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

I felt bad for you @Ian_Chimp ! :rofl:

It was poetic. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yes it was :joy: i think i might try making a science round on this, though i may try true/false ones 1st if that’s ok while i work out how mean i can be with the questions

3 Likes

Science Round

1. At the end of its life cycle our sun will explode in a phenomenon known as a supernova.
  2. Tritium is an important component of hydrogen bombs.
  3. Slow Lorises are 1 of the only animals that are both poisonous and toxic.
  4. Trypanosoma is a genus of parasites and is the primary cause if malaria.
  5. Silkie chickens have 5 toed feet and black skin.
  6. Ostriches primarily transport their eggs by kicking them.
  7. All Lizards, Amphibians and Fish are cold blooded.
  8. Shark skin is covered in teeth.
  9. Blood is a form of connective tissue like cartilage.
  10. When frozen, each water molecule has 1 less bond.
  1. False
  2. True
  3. True
  4. False
  5. True
  6. True
  7. False
  8. True
  9. True
  10. False
Summary

This is explanations for each answer

1. False, our sun is too small. Instead it is believed that it’ll eventually become a black dwarf. Interestingly our sun was formed from another star’s supernova though, as it contains elements too heavy for it to have made.

2. True, it’s a rare form of hydrogen. This isotope has 3 particles in the nucleus (2 neutrons and 1 proton) rather than 1 (just a proton) like normal hydrogen, so is much heavier.

3. True. Toxic is defined as injection and poison must be ingested so very few beings are both. Slow Lorises have a special elbow patch, which produces venom when exposed to saliva. So they lick it for a venomous bite and then lick their babies so they’re poisonous to predators.

4. False, these actually cause sleeping sickness and Chagas disease depending on species. Malaria is the genus Paramecium (and there are actually about 5 species that cause different forms of malaria).

5. True, it was believed to have been specifically bred into them in Asia as the dark flesh was thought to be medicinal.

6. True, it’s why it’s so difficult to crack open an ostrich egg and part of why predators don’t normally try to steal the eggs (though they also don’t particularly want to fight the mother).

7. False, most are but there are a few relatively recently discovered species that can control their temperature like warm blooded creatures.

8. True, their skin is covered in small placoid scales that have the same structure and shape as curved teeth (it’s why they feel rough to the touch).

9. True, connective tissue is defined as separated cells with a lot of extracellular substances between, which blood is (basically plasma and several different cell types in blood’s case).

10. False, the reverse is actually true as water as ice has 1 more bond. This extra bond helps form lattice shape to give ice it’s stable structure, and also holds the molecules apart which is why ice expands.

General Knowledge :thinking::question: Answers

Answers

1. Blue (though Baby does work too!)
  2. Spike
  3. The Lazy Dog
  4. Postman - Patrick Clifton is Postman Pat! (Love this question, always my go to when asked for a general knowledge question :joy:)
  5. 7
  6. Charlie Chaplin (hard question, think I should have given you a date at least)
  7. Gnasher
  8. Blessing of Unicorns
  9. LXIX
  10. Octopus

@G_and_Cx Really sorry with a sleeping dog you’re still lacking the “a”, the “z” and the “y” from the sentence :see_no_evil:.

@Ian_Chimp Coroner for question 4 is my absolute favourite answer, I think the cartoon would have been rather darker if Pat and his black and white cat went around conducting autopsies in Greendale :rofl:

@VanillaWithSprinkles I’m seriously impressed you knew that Unicorns gather in blessings though rather liked Ian’s answer of Myth for this one too.

Random trivia quiz

1. Which company manufactures the most tyres in a year (think outside the box :wink:)?
  2. Which country’s flag has the words ‘Plus Ultra’ on?
  3. The name of which country has every vowel in once?
  4. Where are the Nazca Lines?
  5. A group of which animals is called a caravan?
  6. By what name is Reginald Dwight better known?
  7. On average, how tall is a giraffe at birth?
  8. What word is both a Mexican state and a dog breed?
  9. What is the name of Miguel’s dog in Disney’s Coco?
  10. What is the common name for the chemical compound NaCl (sodium chloride)?

Have fun and Happy Friday! :blush:

Yes someone did a round on group names for things for my zoom pub quiz group not too long ago haha quite fortuitous! A murder of crows is still my all time favourite.

2 Likes
My answers
  1. Lego (love this question another of my go to’s :rofl:)
  2. Don’t know… total guess Kazakhstan
  3. Mozambique
  4. Mexico?
  5. Camels
  6. Elton John
  7. 6 foot?
  8. Chihuahua (had to check spelling!)
  9. Never heard of Disney’s Coco, guessing Boxer
  10. Salt

I love random stuff like that and yeah, I love a murder of crows too :grinning:

@Peitho 7/10 awesome :blush:

I heard question 1 on a pub quiz and filed it away in my brain for future quizzes :heart_eyes:

1 Like

This is so hard!

Answers to MsSubExperimenter's Random Trivia Quiz
  1. The “think outside the box” thing is throwing me off, might just say Michelin and hope I hit second best
  2. No idea
  3. Equatorial Guinea
  4. Peru
  5. Yay- camels :dromedary_camel:
  6. Elton John
  7. 2 metres?
  8. Chihuahua
  9. Never seen it, guessing Coco :wink:
  10. Salt!

Diverse round! Very interested to see the answer to the giraffe question lol :giraffe:

1 Like

:test_tube: Science Round

Summary
  1. False, too small
  2. True
  3. True
  4. False
  5. True
  6. True
  7. False
  8. True- though don’t know if this is just an urban legend
  9. False
  10. False

Admittedly guessed at a shameful amount of these.

I like being random :rofl: 5.5/10 (giving you a half for the :giraffe: because you were close-ish :heart:)

Well done! :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Ahah I’ll take it! Thanks :smiley:

1 Like