The Great Pub Quiz Game Thread

You’re very welcome and I was seriously impressed with 8!

More than I got when I was sorting through the questions :joy:

(21/04/21)

The Great Hump Day Quiz! 🐪

Welcome to this Wednesday’s Great Hump Day Quiz!

We’re always trying to add more people to our quiz gang, so check out how to hide your answers, pop them in a post, and I’ll add you to the Scoreboard. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

Where do the questions come from?

I found a mysterious old box of trivial pursuit, with even more trivial pursuits stuffed inside. It is a treasure trove of quiz questions, and all of them really old. :slightly_smiling_face: Perfect fodder for a Hump Day special. :+1:

Piecing together a few bits and bobs, there were three sets, and a couple of the instructions. One is a Genus Edition, dated 2001, and the other the 20th Anniversary one, 2004. There’s also another old style board and questions in there that looks/smells quite a bit older. That’s the box they’re all stuffed in, and that has ©1983 printed on it. No instructions, so not sure if that’s accurate. That one says it’s a Master Game Genus Edition.

So, there you go. It’s a bit random, but it should add to the fun. :slightly_smiling_face:

Categories:

💙 Geography
  1. Which region in the Balkland area of Europe declared its independence from Serbia in 2008?

2. What is the Taj Mahal made of?

3. The name of the Russian city of St Petersburg was changed to what during World War I?

4. What is Wales’s biggest island?

5. What is the German motorway system called?

💗Entertainment
  1. Which musician wrote the song “I See Fire” for the soundtrack of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug?

2. What’s the name of the spacecraft’s computer system in 2001: A Space Odyssey?

3. Who played George VI in The King’s Speech?

4. What Bond film saw Christopher Lee as the villain?

5. Which deep-space TV drama’s clamshell ‘communicator’ inspired Motorola to develop the first handheld mobile phone?

💛 History
  1. What name is shared by a former archduke of Austria-Este and the Scottish rock band fronted by Alex Kapranos?

2. What ill-fated craft was captained by Ernst Lahmann?

3. If you were using the D’Hondt method, what would you be doing - applying for a patent, holding an election or dating archaeological finds?

4. What two countries fought the Battle of the Coral Sea?

5. Which country’s parliament is known as the Riksdag?

💩 Art & Literature
  1. What title is both the first part of Dante’s The Divine Comedy and a book by Dan Brown?

2. Who fell to his fictional death at the Reichenbach Falls?

3. About 180 copies of the Gutenberg Bible were printed in the 15th century. How many complete copies still exist - 11, 21 or 31?

4. What poem begins: “Twas brillig, and the slithy toves…”?

5. Peter James writes novels about DS Roy Grace, predominantly set in which seaside town?

💚 Science & Nature
  1. What’s the word for an online journal, or personal website?

2. Which is colder, minus 40 degrees centigrade, or minus 40 degrees Fahrenheit?

3. Which chemical pesticide was banned in 1972 because it led to the near extinction of the American bald eagle?

4. What London station did Brunel’s Great Western Railway terminate at?

5. Which yellow spring flower contains a toxic chemical, lycorine?

🧡 Sprot & Leisure
  1. What sproting event have Manchester, Edinburgh and Glasgow all previously hosted?

2. What is a score of 19 worth in cribbage?

3. At Rio 2016, who was the first British Paralympian since 1984 to win gold medals in two different sprots at the same Games?

4. Who was Britain’s first six-figure footballer?

5. In the classic game Twister, which four colours are the spots on the mat?

Scoreboard

Total :blue_heart: :heartpulse: :yellow_heart: :poop: :green_heart: :orange_heart:
@Sea 21 3 4 4 4 5 1
@Peitho 20½ 5 4 2 5 3
@SexInTheCity 20 4 2 5 3 4 2
@FL45H 19½ 4 4 2 5 2
@WillC 19 5 5 2 4 2 1
@Ian_Chimp 18 3 4 2 3 3 3
@MsSubExperimenter 17½ 3 4 2 2 3
The Answers

| :blue_heart: Geography | :heartpulse: Entertainment
— | — | —
| 1. Kosovo | 1. Ed Sheeran
| 2. Marble | 2. HAL 9000
| 3. Petrograd | 3. Colin Firth
| 4. Anglesey | 4. The Man With the Golden Gun
| 5. Autobahn | 5. Star Trek
|
:yellow_heart: History |
:poop: Arts & Literature |
| 1. Franz Ferdinand | 1. Inferno
| 2. The Hindenburg | 2. Sherlock Holmes
| 3. Holding an election | 3. 21
| 4. Japan and the US | 4. Jabberwocky
| 5. Sweden | 5. Brighton
|
:green_heart: Science & Nature |
:orange_heart: Sprot & Leisure |
| 1. Blog | 1. Commonwealth Games
| 2. Neither | 2. Nothing
| 3. DDT | 3. Kadeena Cox
| 4. Paddington | 4. Alan Ball
| 5. Daffodil | 5. Blue, green, red and yellow

2 Likes

Can we have 90 seconds on the clock please.

:timer_clock:

Your time starts now

:blue_heart: Geography

1. Kosovo
  2. Wine Gums
  3. Petrograd
  4. Anglesey
  5. Autobahn

:heartpulse:Entertainment

1. Fireman Sam
  2. Hal 9000
  3. Johnny Vegas
  4. Francisco Scaramanger
  5. Star Trek

:yellow_heart: History

1. Franz Ferdinand
  2. Hindenberg
  3. Holding an election
  4. Australia and Japan
  5. Finland

:poop: Art & Literature

1. Mr Bump
  2. Sherlock Holmes
  3. Guessing (down the middle) 21
  4. Inch wincy spider
  5. Blackpool

:green_heart: Science & Nature

1. Blog
  2. The same
  3. DDT
  4. Paddington :bear:
  5. Daffodil

:orange_heart: Sprot & Leisure (Sprot)

1. Commonwealth Games
  2. 14
  3. Prince Harry
  4. Dennis Law
  5. Red, Blue, Yellow, Green
1 Like
WillC Answers

Geography

1, Kosovo
2, Marble?
3, St Petrograd
4, Anglesey?
5, Autobahn

Entertainment

1, Ed Sheeran
2, HAL
3, Colin Firth
4, The Man With The Golden Gun
5, Star Trek Original Series

History

1, Franz Ferdinand
2, No idea
3, No idea
4, No idea
5, Sweden

Art and Literature

1, The Inferno
2, Sherlock Holmes but he wasn’t dead!
3, 11?
4, Jabberwocky?
5, Brighton (recently saw a dramatisation on tv!)

Science and Nature

1, Blog?
2, Think they’re the same?
3, No idea
4, No idea
5, No idea

Sprot and Leisure

1, Commonwealth Games?
2, No idea
3, No idea
4, No idea
5, No idea

1 Like

My Answers to Hump Day Quiz:

💙 Geography
  1. From Sporcle countries map, Kosovo?
  2. :thinking: Assumed stone but as it’s a specific question, probably means sonething special so going to say Marble? If so, fancier than I realised, well done it!
  3. Petrograd
  4. Anglesea?
  5. The Autobahn
💗 Entertainment
  1. :woman_shrugging:t2: Adele?
  2. HAL
  3. Colin Firth
  4. He was Scaramanga… I think that’s The Man with the Golden Gun?
  5. I’m assuming Star Trek… Does the deep space reference mean Deep Space 9 specifically?
💛 History
  1. Franz Ferdinand
  2. Given name sounds Gernan I’m going to say probably not the Titanic but it’s the only ill fated craft that comes to mind :woman_shrugging:t2:
  3. Not a clue, going to say dating archaeological finds because I like the idea of an Egyptian Mummy dating site (Joke!)
  4. Coral Sea is South Pacific near Australia sooooo… Australia and Papua New Guinea? Seems unlikely though :thinking:
  5. Sounds Scandinavian… Norway?
💩 Art and Literature
  1. Pretty sure it’s not The Da Vinci Code but I’m struggling to think of what the others are called, not read either sets :woman_facepalming:t2:
  2. Moriarty. (Sherlock doesn’t die!)
  3. Total guess… 11?
  4. The Jabberwocky
  5. :woman_shrugging:t2: Blackpool?
💚 Science and Nature
  1. A Blog (á la Kinkymira blog)
  2. :joy: They’re the same!
  3. DDT
  4. :woman_shrugging:t2: Paddington?
  5. Daffodil?
🧡 Sprot and Leisure
  1. World Athletics Championships?
  2. I think 19 is impossible
  3. :woman_shrugging:t2:
  4. :woman_shrugging:t2: David Beckham?
  5. :green_circle::yellow_circle::large_blue_circle::red_circle:

Enjoyed these… multiple choice is growing on me too! Thank you @Ian_Chimp

1 Like

It’s tight at the top. :slightly_smiling_face: There are a few marking decisions that could be contested, but hopefully someone will come along and score 20+ and we won’t have to worry about that… :slightly_smiling_face::crossed_fingers:

…Having now looked at @WillC 's answers I know I’m going to be disputing :poop:2.

:rofl:

2 Likes

Unless you’re right, or we’re both wrong and it says both! :joy:

1 Like
My Go

:blue_heart: Geography

1. Which region in the Balkland area of Europe declared its independence from Serbia in 2008? Montenegro?
  2. What is the Taj Mahal made of? Marble?
  3. The name of the Russian city of St Petersburg was changed to what during World War I? Leningrad?
  4. What is Wales’s biggest island? Anglesey?
  5. What is the German motorway system called? Autobahn?

:heartpulse:Entertainment

1. Which musician wrote the song “I See Fire” for the soundtrack of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug? Ed Sheeran? He’s popped up everywhere so worth a punt!
  2. What’s the name of the spacecraft’s computer system in 2001: A Space Odyssey? No idea - Skyrim?
  3. Who played George VI in The King’s Speech? Colin Firth
  4. What Bond film saw Christopher Lee as the villain? The Man With The Golden Gun?
  5. Which deep-space TV drama’s clamshell ‘communicator’ inspired Motorola to develop the first handheld mobile phone? Star Trek?

:yellow_heart: History

1. What name is shared by a former archduke of Austria-Este and the Scottish rock band fronted by Alex Kapranos? Franz Ferdinand
  2. What ill-fated craft was captained by Ernst Lahmann? No clue, something German?
  3. If you were using the D’Hondt method, what would you be doing - applying for a patent, holding an election or dating archaeological finds? Election?
  4. What two countries fought the Battle of the Coral Sea? Australia and New Zealand?
  5. Which country’s parliament is known as the Riksdag? Sweden?

:poop: Art & Literature

1. What title is both the first part of Dante’s The Divine Comedy and a book by Dan Brown? Inferno?
  2. Who fell to his death at the Reichenbach Falls? Sherlock Holmes (and Moriarty).
  3. About 180 copies of the Gutenberg Bible were printed in the 15th century. How many complete copies still exist - 11, 21 or 31? 31?
  4. What poem begins: “Twas brillig, and the slithy toves…”? No clue, something old?
  5. Peter James writes novels about DS Roy Grace, predominantly set in which seaside town? Torquay? :woman_shrugging:t2:

:green_heart: Science & Nature

1. What’s the word for an online journal, or personal website? Blog?
  2. Which is colder, minus 40 degrees centigrade, or minus 40 degrees Fahrenheit? Celsius?
  3. Which chemical pesticide was banned in 1972 because it led to the near extinction of the American bald eagle? Feel like I’d have heard of it but can’t think!
  4. What London station did Brunel’s Great Western Railway terminate at? Victoria?
  5. Which yellow spring flower contains a toxic chemical, lycorine? Daffodils?

:orange_heart: Sprot & Leisure

1. What sproting event have Manchester, Edinburgh and Glasgow all previously hosted? Commonwealth Games?
  2. What is a score of 19 worth in cribbage? 19? :woman_shrugging:t2:
  3. At Rio 2016, who was the first British Paralympian since 1984 to win gold medals in two different sprots at the same Games? Kadeena Cox?
  4. Who was Britain’s first six-figure footballer? Trevor Francis?
  5. In the classic game Twister, which four colours are the spots on the mat? Red, Yellow, Blue, Green?
1 Like
My answers

Geography

1. Serbia
  2. Marble
  3. ?
  4. Anglesey
  5. autobahn

Entertainment

1. ?
  2. HAL
  3. Colin Firth
  4. The man with the golden gun
  5. star trek

History

1. Franz Ferdinand?
  2. Hindenburg ?
  3. election?
  4. US and Japan
  5. ?

Art & Literature

1. Inferno
  2. Sherlock Holmes
  3. 21?
  4. Jabberwocky
  5. ?

Science & Nature

1. blog
  2. they are same
  3. DDT
  4. Paddington
  5. daffodils ?

Sprot & Leisure
1.?
2. ?
3. ?
4. Rooney?
5. red green yellow blue

1 Like

Nice to have you back @Sea :slightly_smiling_face:

Thankfully Sea has broken the tie at the top, and I don’t think there’s enough quibble points to take anyone over the edge. :slightly_smiling_face: But, just for fun, if I change the default_marking_stringency from ‘friendly’ to ‘Peitho’ then I think the 19s would be rejigged into:

| | | |

2 Likes

Congratulations @FL45H :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like
Answers to Hump Day Quiz 21.04.21

Geography:

1. No idea
  2. Marble
  3. St Petrograd
  4. Anglesey?
  5. The Autobahn

Entertainment:

1. No idea
  2. No idea
  3. Colin Firth
  4. Wild guess at ‘The Spy Who Loved Me’
  5. Star trek

History:

1. Franz Ferdinand
  2. Hindenburg
  3. Holding an election
  4. America and Japan (although I’m pretty sure Australia joined up with the US so technically 3 countries involved?)
  5. Swedish?

Art & Lit:

1. No idea
  2. Sherlock Holmes?
  3. Guess at 11?
  4. Jabberwocky (Lewis Carroll)
  5. Brighton

Science & Nature:

1. Blog?
  2. Trick question - they are equal in temperature!
  3. No idea
  4. Paddington
  5. Daffodil?

Sprot & Leisure:

1. I think it’s the Commonwealth Games
  2. No idea
  3. Not sure… Feel like I’m gonna kick myself with this one though
  4. No idea
  5. Ah, this is my kind of question. Yellow, green, red and blue :blush:
1 Like

Hey!!! You what now?! :rofl: My marking is perfectly kind… you just need the correct answer… or a comedy answer for silly bonuses of course.

My marking would give me the point for :poop:2 since my answer is correct! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Having googled it I see your point on :heartpulse:2 though I’m sure me and @WillC both appreciate the friendly marking. Also, having Googled :poop:3 all possible answers are wrong (though my guess is most wrong so definitely don’t expect marks :rofl:).

Overall, thank goodness @Sea has come through for default (so far!) victory! :rofl:

Hopefully you appreciate a bit of gentle ribbing :slightly_smiling_face: (I think I’ve seen you say you do in one of your dildo reviews?)

‘Complete copies’ :slightly_smiling_face:

And :poop:2 says ‘fictional death’, so I think it’s covered. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Nothing wrong with a bit of ribbing!

:poop:2

I get how under the guise of fictional the answer on the card is correct as in the book Holmes’ death is fictional however unless you are insinuating that the Sherlock Holmes novels are non-fiction recounts of History then Moriarty also fell to his fictional death just not his fictional fictional death like Sherlock. I do not think the answer Sherlock Holmes should be marked wrong, I just think Moriarty should also be marked correct.

This might be my bad. I may have transposed the question wrong. Let me check the card…

Edit: Nope. The question on the card is: “Who fell to their fictional death…”, and it only wants one name. I’m tempted to say something about it being ‘implied’, but I think I can rustle you up an extra point for such a persuasive argument. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

:rofl: Thank you kind Mr @Ian_Chimp !

1 Like

I’ll give a little shout out to @LuciousLegs before I put the answers in…

I have added the answers to the quiz post :slightly_smiling_face:

I can officially declare this week’s Great Hump Day Quiz winner to be… :drum::drum::drum:

@Sea :trophy:

Congratulations!

And we also have a special mention for this week’s Clean-Sweepers:

| | |

I’ve also added on an extra ½ point to anyone who answered ‘Australia’ as one of the two countries for :yellow_heart:4. Apparently it was a threeway. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes