The implant

I’m currently on the pill (Rigevidon) and the doctors have said I can no longer be on that pill because of my blood pressure getting worse.

I was wondering if the implant would be any good?

Another option would also be the coil but I feel like that is for older people and I’m only 20.

Also does anyone know where I can get either the implant or the coil in the UK?

Any advice or suggestions are welcomed. Feel free to ask any questions.

1 Like

We ran the implant for a few years, is very different in each person, misses put on a few kg from it but had no other huge issues, reduced periods were nice. But the side effects are a real roll of the dice.

1 Like

Hi @sharbur - your best approach will be to find out where your nearest NHS Sexual Health clinic is. This webpage should be a good starting point:

1 Like

The implant, copper coil and hormonal coil shouldn’t cause you any issues with blood pressure, neither should the mini pill.

Ive never had the implant but I’ve had hormonal coils since my mid 20s and not had any problems. They are a little easier to fit in someone who has given birth vaginally, but it isn’t a necessity to have one (I don’t have kids).

You should be able to get the implant or coil through your GP, or at least they should be able to direct you to a local service. The other option would be to visit your local sexual health clinic.

I would strongly advise chatting your options through with a medical professional before making a decision. Again, your GP (or someone at the GP practice) would be the best choice as they have your full medical history in front of them. Although there is lots of info online about different contraceptives, but as there is a medical reason you are being advised to come off the combined pill, I think you need a medical opinion.

Obviously COVID has affected these services so it might not be something you can do quickly.

1 Like

I agree with @Calie, chat to your GP - as soon as you tell the receptionist you want to sort out contraception they’ll be able to book the best appointment for you. I had a big chat through all the options with a nurse to help me work out what would work best for me, they’re all very friendly and helpful. There’s also some really comprehensive advice on the NHS website which goes through everything they can offer.

Should be able to contact your local GP clinic for more advice on what the best options are for you and they’ll also provide the treatment too usually.

Have u asked about the mini pill? You take it everyday with no breaks. I have high blood pressure and was put on this.

Had the implant and hated it. Periods was horrendous but be prepared to fight to have it out. Took me weeks of demanding.

1 Like

The Mirena( hormonal) coil is becoming increasingly popular with younger women, it’s not just for older one’s who’ve had kids either. As @Calie says, it’s a bit easier to insert if you’ve already had a vaginal birth but it isn’t a strict requirement.

I had the Mirena for years, no problems. Over my many years I’ve also used the pill, the mini-pill, the diaphragm, the copper coil and condoms. I was advised to stop taking the combined pill because of my blood pressure.

Just phone your GP surgery and book a contraceptive appointment, you’ll probably get a chat with the practice nurse who can talk you through your options.

I have the Mirena coil, had it for a couple of years, not for contraception but for other reasons and have had no issues. I’ve not had kids but it was fine.

I spoke to a GP about my issues and she booked me an appointment with the GP that deals with the coil and she agreed it was suitable so it’s definitely worth talking to them.

Good luck :blush:

Totally agree that the side effects are a roll of the dice. I was constanctly bleeding for the first six months of having the implant. Then no period at all for two years.

1 Like

The mini pill is what they want to put me on but I really want to suggest either the coil or the implant for me because my mum was on the mini pill and she had really bad sign effects with the mini pill so I’m not sure if I will be the same or not.

Hi @sharbur , I am currently on my 2nd implant. Good points, easy insertion and you don’t need to worry about going for another appointment or getting pregnant for 3 years. Bad points, somewhat irregular periods though at least lighter than with nothing.

I used to be on Depo injections every 3 months and they suited me perfectly because no periods, no mood swings, from my point of view, ideal. I was taken off Depo because I had been on it for 10 years and apparently you need a break as it weakens bones with prolonged use. I am hoping 6 years off is enough and when my current implant needs replacing I can go back to Depo.

2 Likes

My partner got the coil at 22 so not that much older than yourself. If your in Glasgow, Sandyford can do it. She just phoned them up and got an appointment, don’t think she went to the GP about it.

Otherwise the NHS website should be able to direct you towards places to get it, or the GP should be able to assist you.

She stopped the pill cause it gave her really bad headaches and mood swings and since now on the coil her period got a little worse but in comparison its better for her.

Can get her to answer any questions you have about the coil (Mirena) if you have any.

I had the implant and it didn’t suit me, I had bleeding inbetween etc.
I went for the depo jab and it’s brilliant. One jab every 12 weeks, I had no bleeding, no nothing :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This thread may also be of interest just to read others experiences of the different types. It all depends on what works for you and everyone responds differently to the different types. I’d also agree that discussing the options with the GP thoroughly is best, particularly due to health worries, as that way you’ll be able to make more of an informed decision :blush:

1 Like

@sharbur if you go for the coil/IUD I’d recommend to have it fitted whilst menstruating. I didn’t like the idea just due to hygiene reasons but my GP runs her own ‘Coil Clinic’ and said this would be when the cervix is it’s most relaxed. Due to not having given birth I’d tried previously and it was very uncomfortable and could not be fitted. As soon as we did it as she suggested it was fitted much easier. Just a bit of advice if that’s the way you go.

2 Likes

Everyone is different. My relative had the implant and absolutely loved it. I had it and was the worst…I went off sex, gained weight , had awful mood 24/7 , and that’s not to mention my periods.

I think Try options which are easy to stop. I have no clue with the coil but speak with your local nurse from gp…she will know what’s best.

2 Likes

Hi @sharbur :slight_smile: I’m on my 3rd implant, 4th one due at end of the year, and it’s the best contraception for me! I would sit with your local nurse or sexual health worker and discuss your options, what you want from contraception, and get some information on the options and make a decision on that for what’s best for you.

I started the pill at 18, and after a few months took an allergic reaction to it and turns out I’m allergic to one of its main ingredients so it was no longer an option for me, the coil intimidated me after talking about it with my local nurse and the implant seemed the best option for me just before I turned 19, every three years to be changed, you don’t have to think about it, you don’t feel it once it’s in.

BUT, the side effects affect everyone differently, this is what I’d say to think about, I’ve had different side effects with all 3 implants, I’ve bled everyday for a full year, haven’t bled in 18 months, when I did get a period it was excruciating, one implant moved and got stuck and I had to get it changed early, I gained weight, but I have friends who have no side effects and have a normal period every month and that’s it. It’s different for everyone, just because others have had bad experiences, don’t let that make you think ‘oh god no’, we’re all different and contraception reacts differently to everyone.

I hope this helps :slight_smile: You’ll make the best decision for you, and if it doesn’t work out, then there are other options, there’s something there to suit you and your needs!

1 Like

I worked in a GUM clinic for a while and some advice given was before you try the coil or implant you could try the Mini Pill with the hormone closest to each one first.

There are a few different brands with different forms of progesterone and as some here have said one woman’s meat is another’s poison with their reactions.

If you find your body likes one particular form you can see if it corresponds to the coil or the implant then go for one of those instead.

It’s no joke having an implant or a coil fitted to find it either makes your life hell with PMS, depression, acne, a non-stop period, hair loss or all of them together!

Good luck.

I’m sure your doctor can advise you on a pill that’s not going to interfere with your blood pressure, however there are a few things you can do to help mitigate it (though you may not like it!!).

Cutting down on caffeine and alcohol will reduce your BP, as will regular exercise and keeping a healthy weight, which will also improve self-esteem and probably libido as well. Potassium is good for lowering BP, as well as beetroot.

One thing I’d recommend is to get a BP machine and keep an eye on your numbers (I have high BP too), because a chronically high BP can damage your kidneys and the last thing you want is to let it stay high and end up on dialysis in 20 years’ time.

I hope the suggestions are of help! Take care and stay healthy. :slight_smile: