What contraception do you use?

Hi!

I was wondering what different types of contraception people on the forum use.
I recently started on the patch as while I’m pre hormone treatment since I’m trans, it’s the one that works best for me.

There’s such a wide range of types, so what are you using/have used, and what are your thoughts on it?

2 Likes

None for us I had the snip so no need to

3 Likes

Afternoon!

I’m on cerelle (cerazette). I don’t get periods anymore. It’s a desogestrel one.

The first month was horrific and I got severe mood swings, punched several walls, cried everyday and had a constant period, but after that it, its been grand.

2 Likes

A trip to the Vets sorted it for us :scissors: :hocho:

5 Likes

Garlic :grin:

4 Likes

Mirena coil here. Stopped my periods too, and stopped that monthly dive into being a right bitch. :rofl:

3 Likes

Oh, the joys of being 50!
We can bonk away with complete abandon without giving it a second thought…!

Before that we started off with condoms because we were always in between babies.
After the babies I had the provera-depo jab every 3 months which suited me fine and stopped my god-awful periods completely.

5 Likes

Being parents to a toddler

11 Likes

I also have the Mirena coil. Less for contraception (being single and also having PCOS make that less of an issue) but to stop wildly irregular and heavy periods. Best thing I ever did.

3 Likes

Back in the day my wife used the pill then, after our second child, I had a vasectomy.

3 Likes

I’m on rigevidon (cheaper version of microgynon apparently) but I’ve been on a few other combined pills before and I’ve tried a bunch of mini pills and they haven’t worked for me at all (constantly bleeding for months and months).

To be honest I’d just love to be sterilised, have been asking for over 10 years but I’m still too young for them to do it.

6 Likes

I’ve never ever wanted kids, when I finally had enough of my periods dictating my life a couple of years ago I more or less gave the doctors an ultimatum of put something in or take something out, I didn’t care but just do something.

4 Likes

I have a mirena coil. I was on the pill for ages, tried a couple of different ones, but really didn’t like being on them. I’m fairly sure my GP surgery only suggested a coil because one of the doctors had just qualified in fitting them and wanted to practice but actually it works really well for me.

3 Likes

Currently - none (trying for babies!)
Before that, injection for a few years and then the implant.

4 Likes

There is a joke that goes

‘What do computer programmers use for contraception?’

‘Their personality…’

(I am a programmer and I’m delighted to say that this is apocryphal! At least in my case… Although I have met some programmers for whom this could well be true!)

2 Likes

Being married​:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Snip = blanks

2 Likes

I’m on the depo injection - have been now for about 9 years! I started off with the pill fairly early teens but the pill just didn’t work for me (mostly because I’m awful at remembering to take something every day). I went onto the injection and it works perfectly for me to be honest. I only have to go every 3 months and it’s super quick and the thing I love most is that I don’t have a period. I haven’t noticed any mood changes or anything, but it definitely affects weight gain (but to be honest the benefits for me outweigh that and I’ve just learnt to live with it).

I don’t think the injection is the drs/nurses favourite as they keep telling me to go to either the implant or coil but whilst it’s working for me, I’m sticking to it!

4 Likes

As of the last month we’ve been using just condoms. I’ve been through a number of pills over the years with different side effects (mostly emotional) but have experienced intense pain during sex or any kind of play for the last year. It’s only in this last month, while not using the pill, that that pain has subsided and I can properly enjoy sex again. I’ve felt so much better in myself overall too.

6 Likes

I was on the implant for 13 years before I got my tubes tied at 29. Best thing I’ve done for my sexual health. No kids, either. It can be done, so don’t give up if it’s something you really want.

@Kinkypup - don’t let them sell you the “too young” card. I’ve known people younger than me who have had it done.

4 Likes