The Sandbox

Was it on the same topic? I suppose normally each new member would have their own intro thread/topic. That might be a strike against having a rolling intro thread. Did you try welcoming each by name? That might be a way round it?

I’ve started saying ‘Hello and welcome @MsR :slightly_smiling_face:’, and liking their first post. I thought that was quite cheerful and engaging (and slipped in a bit of the new forum features right off the bat :+1::slightly_smiling_face:)

@Alicia4Ever

Sorry, I initially thought you were asking about Reply as Linked Topic.

To link to another topic just do what you used to. Copy the address of one Topic and paste it into a message for a new Topic. :+1:

Alternatively, if you click :link: you can start typing the title of a thread (eg. The Sandbox) and it’ll auto-suggest a list you can pick from. That’ll auto-fill the hyperlink title too (this generally creates a link direct to the top of the Topic).

You can also direct someone straight to a particular post in the chain too. You can do this by just adding the post number to the end of the Topic address (eg. https://lovehoneyforum.com/t/the-sandbox/257700/206 for this one)

You can even highlight someone’s message and click the floating quote box, type up your reply, and then navigate to the new Topic you want to post it to (like I did with the previous one) and publish it. And that sets up a link to. :+1:

Is any of this helpful? What are you specifically trying to do (or have you seen an example of something you want to replicate), and maybe we can go through it step by step. :+1:

ETA: I’ve missed off lots of different variations of each, but if I go back and add them all in I’m worried it’ll get super confusing. :slightly_smiling_face: I’ll just add that this is not an exhaustive list.

1 Like

There may be slight differences as you’re using the PC version and I’m on Android.

I thought the Trust Levels and Badges? was a really good example of when to Reply as a Linked Topic. The conversation had started in Uploaded Pictures Thread (part 2), but was clearly not about uploading pictures any more, so I split off a new Topic in reply to your message about Trust Levels and Badges. :+1::slightly_smiling_face: The conversation continued, but the topic didn’t go off-topic.

If you click on the timestamp in the top right of every message you can get the post id and an address you can use. :+1:

I’m sure they’ll do a user guide at some point. :slightly_smiling_face:

And ETA is ‘Edited to add’. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

I had now idea what ETA meant when you said it yesterday, now I know it’s not Estimated Tima of Arrival :smile::smile::smile:

Thanks again @Ian_Chimp :ok_hand:t2:

I’m been trying to settle on a format now we can edit. :slightly_smiling_face:

Edited to add: for a more formal feel
ETA: smart casual

Giving this a little testaroo to see if works This is one of the games threads

Excellent. :+1: That way you can write whatever you like in the description.

The :link: button will add the official Topic name in blue. So, if you press :link:, and start typing ‘ABC ga’ it should then give you an auto-suggest list where you can pick which you mean, and will then display it like this:

ABC Game - Fruit and Veg

ABC game Where in the World (part 2)

These ones have no post id in, so are great for directing people to the top of a Topic (eg. one where the info is all at the beginning).

Certified and Licensed Badges (Discobot Tutorials)

It shouldn’t. :thinking: I’ll have to have a look next time I’m on the laptop. :+1:

I think that one is an alternate method to Reply as a Linked Topic (and you’d only use that in a similar situation to the one I gave as an example above). It is, however, a good place to copy the specific post address to use elsewhere. :+1:

One of the methods I use (and there are a few) is to navigate to the post I want to quote in the new Topic, highlight & quote it (so it auto-fills it into my reply box), start typing my reply (v. important) and minimise the reply box. I then navigate to the Topic I want to put it in, expand the reply box (which has carried my draft with it), finish off writing what I want to add, then press Reply, and it gives me the option to post it on the original or new thread. :+1:

@Haribo666 not sure which category I should flag your post under , I presume I do have to pick one?

I think I understand. There’s a :link: button at the bottom of every message. But the specific one I’m talking about is in the formatting bar of your reply window (bar order L-R: Quote Bold Italic | :link: Blockquote Weird Shit | Bullet Points and so on…)

Click on the one in there and it’ll bring up the ‘embed link’ box where you can pop an address in and then type up whatever name you like for it to display.

Eg. Sexpot :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

It’s also this one where you can start typing a Topic name in the URL box and it’ll suggest ones for you. :+1:

Anything you like, just to help out so people can get their badge

@Haribo666 thanks. Just flagged you as spam . Just earned my first flag badge!

1 Like

You can try the quote technique I mentioned above? This can be useful if you’ve been utilising the Bookmarks as you can find the ones you want quicker.

Alternatively, go to link the Topic as usual, but add the relevant post number to the end. :+1:

There are quite a few ways to do it, so you’re a bit spoilt for choice. :slightly_smiling_face: Have a fiddle in here and see what you can do, and if you have a favourite. :+1:

1 Like

Quoting you to try to get the quote badge

And let’s see if this will get me the link 1 or if I’m doing it wrong

https://lovehoneyforum.com/t/certified-and-licensed-badges-discobot-tutorials/257800/185

@WillC I’ve popped this into the Sandbox to see if we can fix that ‘preformatted text’ issue you’ve got going on. :slightly_smiling_face:

I believe you’re leaving spaces after your apostrophes in words like ‘don’t’ and ‘it’ll’, and so it’s reading it as you wanting to display any letters inbetween like this . :slightly_smiling_face:

If you make sure to omit the spaces it should sort it out in no time. :+1:

(feel free to test it out in here :slightly_smiling_face::+1:)

Edited to add: I was talking ballcocks. :slightly_smiling_face:

@Peitho solved it much better, or, (as some people might say) ‘correctly’. :slightly_smiling_face:

@Ian_Chimp i think ive sorted it! itll

Nope, still happening!

I accidentally posted in the original Topic instead of popping it here. Doh. :slightly_smiling_face: But we got here in the end. :+1:

It’s the spaces. Just make sure that words like it’ll’, don’t, it’s, she’s, etc are all one string of letters with no spaces.

If there are any spaces it thinks it’s fair game to read it as code, and do what it thinks you’re asking. :slightly_smiling_face: (in this case Preformatted text)

ETA: Nope. See above.

I tried it but it seems hit and miss as ive hevent been putting spaces in! Seems ok on phone, but using laptop it seems to occur!