The snip

Who has had this done and did it affect any part of your sex life for example: loss of libido?

My OH had this done back in the 80s, before we met. It certainly didn't affect his libido back then! Knowing I couldn't get pregnant was very good for mine too so it was a win/win at first. Then we wanted kids together and he had a successful reversal which didn't affect his libido long-term either.

Obviously both procedures were uncomfortable and sex was off the agenda for a short while until the swelling had gone down.

I had the snip aged 25 and it made no difference to my libido/sex life whatsoever. I then had a reversal at age 41. Again, no negative effects.

I would caution anyone considering the snip to think very long and hard before making the decision. Then once you've done that, think even longer and harder. If you're in a relationship, please make sure that your partner is given every opportunity to express their opinion honestly and without any pressure.

Take it from me, if you make the decision too lightly, it can come back and kick you in the arse with devastating effect.

Think very, very hard.

Mozzalini wrote:

I had the snip aged 25 and it made no difference to my libido/sex life whatsoever. I then had a reversal at age 41. Again, no negative effects.

I would caution anyone considering the snip to think very long and hard before making the decision. Then once you've done that, think even longer and harder. If you're in a relationship, please make sure that your partner is given every opportunity to express their opinion honestly and without any pressure.

Take it from me, if you make the decision too lightly, it can come back and kick you in the arse with devastating effect.

Think very, very hard.

I was going to add the bit about thinking long and hard but Mozzalini has put it better than I could. My OH thought he had completed his family but divorce and remarriage to me changed that. We were lucky; the "snip" should be considered permanent. Given that men can father children into their 70s or older (not sure why they would want to at that age) and circumstances can change it is definitely not a decision to be taken lightly.

Ive thought about it a few times but not had it done. Does it hurt, ive heard plenty of horror stories?

And how long before normal service can resume??

Of course it hurts. Someone cuts a hole in your nut sack! For me, it hurt bad for 24 hours, then was uncomfortable for maybe 3-4 days. I was able to "sort myself out" after a week, but didn't have sex for 2 weeks.

the reversal was similarly painful, but going private meant I got better painkillers!

Best thing ever. Other half, bit sore, but sex after a week and then back to normal. No need for pills, condoms, spontaneous sex with no fear. Brilliant.

I have been thinking of having this done,there are some real horror stories on the web,but as with any medical procedure there is a risk.would love to hear other peoples comments and experiences.

The decision to have the snip was made for me
The OH stopped taking the pill without telling me
( She wanted more kids Married 15yr by this time )
So I had the snip just in case she thought about
Doing it again
As for the op all you feel is a little discomfort
And after its healed there is no differance to your libido or performance
One last thing I would add is 20yrs on I now have been to Doc's with a lump I turns out its a cyst and is common after a vasectomy

Mickus wrote:

Ive thought about it a few times but not had it done. Does it hurt, ive heard plenty of horror stories?

And how long before normal service can resume??

I'm not so sure I'd like you to have it done, there's no need with me having the mirena coil anyway. It's working great for me, no problems with it. There's no need to cause unnecessary pain!

Toy Lover wrote:

Best thing ever. Other half, bit sore, but sex after a week and then back to normal. No need for pills, condoms, spontaneous sex with no fear. Brilliant.

Agreed, had it done after we had our 2nd child. I personally couldn't wait , I pushed and pushed for my doc to get it done for me. They said they wouldn't do it till our Child was 1. Not sure that is still so. It's all good for me and my OH nothing negative to report had it done 12 yrs ago.

Q

So glad I did it, plenty of spontaneous sex without having to worry about contraception.

Procedure was painless with very little post op discomfort

Had mine done about a year ago, felt like id been kicked in the nuts for a few days, OH got horny the night after id got it done - typical but otherwise no prob at all, all working fine sex great and we know there will be no "surprises"

We have two children already, we don't want anymore, my wife also had quite a bad time during her 2nd pregnancy, our docs were great, lustened to us, read her medical reports and agreed to do me when my daughter was 6 months old.

This last bit is for the ladies. When i had it done my wife was sat in the theater with me, she also had my daughter in her pra, who laughed, cackled and giggled throughout the procedure. Thought you'd like that.

My dh has the referral appointment in Jan. He is terrified of needles, so how they are going to do we are undure of atm, he wants knock out gas but we will have to wait and see what the options available are.

We have 3 children, our family is complete, we fit our house, car, everything, and i just couldnt cope with another child lol.

Me being on long term contraception just isnt an option. I spent 2 years on depo and a range of pills and throught that period we went 18 months without any action at all. They kill my sex drive totally and im nothing short of being a b*tch with mood swings. In all honesty im surprised he stuck around! I have asked and asked about female sterilisation, but every GP has refused to refer me over the past 5 years, despite the fact we thought it would be best for us and my husbands phobias but its a total dead end. Now i just hope there is a way they can do it for him that he can manage, a local wont happen. :/

I had it done a couple of years after our third child was born. We discussed the options and decided that we both did not want any more children both together or if we were apart.

My view was that after three births, it was only fair that I take responsibility. Like many others I had heard many horror stories about things going wrong, so we agreed that the risks were probably lower if I went private.

My surgeon had undertaken over two thousand procedures so the operation was quick and the bruising minimal. I also was given Valium to take beforehand so I was very relaxed before the operation.

It was uncomfortable for a couple of days and everything was back to normal within a couple of weeks. Remember that you have to have the all clear before having unprotected sex.

Once I had the all clear sex was great as all the worry is taken away, no need for condoms, or the pill. Sex can be more spontaneous.

You should assume that the operation can not be reversed, so make sure that you are 100 % certain before proceeding, but if you are sure you want to go ahead I would recommend it, but if you can go private, it was one of the best £180 I spent.

Hi my Hubby had the snip about a year ago (he refers to it as a 'visit to the vets). he had it done fri lunch time sent home within 30 mins told to do nothing the rest of the day take some paracetamol so that when th local wore off he some pain relief. went to bed. no swelling. Things were a bit tender for a few more days went to work as normal on monday. the following friday we had sex as normal. he said he can't tell the difference between orgasms now or before. (on NHS)

best thing ever in my opinon. very liitle risk of me getting pregnant again. neither of want anymore children with each other or in the future.

although i do know someone who after several years fathered another child, his naturally reversed. i can imagine a few heated discussions that house.

My hubby had this done two years ago at the local doctors surgery in about 30 mins with myself present throughout, it was done without scalpel incision as healing is quicker. A small hole is pierced for access. Hubby says pain was minimal but would advise not to go with the supposedly pain free needleless air injection method of anesthetic as instead of one injection per testicle the air method gives a number of air "injections" per testicle, nurse described as an elastic band gently flicking the testicles, hubby assures me it felt nothing of the sort and wished he had just gone for the standard injection! Recovery took a few days and sex resumed after about a fortnight, there has been no difference in libido.

I had the snip 6 years ago after the birth of our 3rd child.

I had it done at our GP surgery by Marie Stopes International but on the NHS, although I had to wait ~6 months.

Very quick & simple procedure, although as they cauterise the vas deferens (tubes that carry sperm) it not very pleasant smelling bit of you burn that shouldn't normally be burning.

​We had sex less than a week after it was done (with contraception), as my wife wanted to get my tubes empty of my little swimmer.

​I had to send off 2 samples at set time points (4 & 8 weeks, I think?), only once both results are clear can you safely stop using other forms of contraception.

​Sex has never been better - neither of us have to worry about unexpected pregnancy.

We've always joke about me having snip, but now seriously thinking about it.

Oh was on pill which resulted with two great daughters. Then had injections which were great no time of the month, however she was diagnosed with osteoporosis( thinning of the bones), so was advised to stop.

Now shes had an implant for about three years, but time of the month has become, time of the fort night or less, which is a pain for us both.

My main concern is will me having snip actually help oh sort out her problems,

Were going the clinic next week so maybe get more info there.

On a lighter note, until it was relocated, our local snip clinic was called longshoot, lol.

I had it done a couple of years back too.

The one thing I would say is that the two week recovery is really a minimum, and you shouldn't be looking to get too active for around another week or two after. You also need really supportive pair of pants - I actually ended up wearing swimming Speedos as otherwise the wound kept opening up, but then I did jump straight back on my bike after two weeks!

Otherwise, couldn't recommend enough for all the reasons above.