To the Vegetarians and Vegans of Lovehoney!!!

i am planning with my partner to host a vegetarian/ vegan come dine with me as we have vegetarian and vegan friends. i am planning to make an indian and would be happy for any hints or tips or tasty suitable foods and recipes. also this is not just restricted to indian food as i live a vegetarian lifestyle so would be happy for any recipes!!

Oh this should be good, when are you hosting it? I;'ll have a look through my books, also purchased a vegan book for my sister and it gives me a chance to look through it before giving it to her.

Would you be interested in drinks recieps as well? or an online wine list of veggie ones? I'm not sure how strick you and your friends are. Was happy to find out the other day that the engery drink Rock Star is 100% vegan for example where as relentless isn't even veggie :/

Wow that's cool - I'm veggie. I'll try dig some re ropes out for you! Lebanese is my speciality x

Tarka dal is always a good veggie Indian dish

dkelly wrote:

i am planning with my partner to host a vegetarian/ vegan come dine with me as we have vegetarian and vegan friends. i am planning to make an indian and would be happy for any hints or tips or tasty suitable foods and recipes. also this is not just restricted to indian food as i live a vegetarian lifestyle so would be happy for any recipes!!

A good dahl makes a lovely curry (lentil based), or you've got saag (spinach) or chana (chick peas) - potato curries work well too! Generally pretty starchy things work well!

If you google the names and just amalgamate all the best recipes it should turn out ok - it all depends on what you want to use, how creamy, how spicy you want the dish.

Not vegan but paneer (a certain type of cheese) curry is amazing and vegetarian (but not vegan).

Curry lends itself great to veggie versions as many people who eat it regularly don't eat meat so there should be loads of good recipes about.

Adx

There is a fab Gujrati Vegetarian restaurant in Leeds - this is their menu link: http://www.hansasrestaurant.com/fullmenu.php If you have a look on page 6 at the Thali - complete meal - that might be a good idea. Lots of smaller bits and pieces so you can vary the spice levels. Some like it hot, some don't! I would recommend making lassi or mango lassi to go with the meal as a) its delicious and b) it cools down your mouth if you are serving anything with a kick! x

The Nymphomaniac wrote:

Would you be interested in drinks recieps as well? or an online wine list of veggie ones? I'm not sure how strick you and your friends are. Was happy to find out the other day that the engery drink Rock Star is 100% vegan for example where as relentless isn't even veggie :/

OMG!!! relentless isnt vegetarian? i love that drink! External Media well im not hosting yet, i havnt fixed a date. im particularly interested in vegan desserts

dkelly wrote:

The Nymphomaniac wrote:

OMG!!! relentless isnt vegetarian? i love that drink! External Media well im not hosting yet, i havnt fixed a date. im particularly interested in vegan desserts

OK will have a look, yesterday I had vegan crumb cake which was rather nice. My sister makes a lot of vegan cakes etc, today shes doing a trail at a vegan cake supplier.

So many drinks aren't vegan or veggie... the one I miss most if dr pepper and lilt. Pepsi is veggie though so it's not too bad. Most robinsions drinks are vegan apart from a few of there high juices as they have honey in I believe.

Hi,

I thought this may help. It's by a guy called Ottolenghi, he has a column called 'The New Vegetarian' in the Guardian I believe (Please correct me if I'm wrong).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plenty-Yotam-Ottolenghi/dp/0091933684/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1305230193&sr=1-1

Ooh, a nice aubergine curry like this one

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/allotment/2010/jan/11/allotments-gardeningadvice

I'm a life long vegetarian and have never eaten meat or fish. I cook a lot (almost too much sometimes!) and one of my favourite meals are currys. Mostly I make them up as I go along so don't follow any specific recipes. I'll see if I can put together a couple and add them up here tonight.

Hey,

My tip would be for the indian meal - Pakora's...! They're similar to bhaji's but easier and more tasty (IMO) and you can make small ones for nibbles or bigger ones with yogurt and mint sauce... As for a recipie, well, I was taught by eye by an indian friends and it depends how many I'm cooking for/what ingredients, but I would recommend googling some recipies.

A friend made me a vegan chocolate cheesecake for my birthday (instead of a birthday cake!) and I know it was made with blitzed up tofu amoungst other things, but I think she said she found the recipie on 'Cauldrons' website (Cauldron as in the brand of Tofu). I'd have no idea of the recipie, but it was delicious and I guess you could make it well in advance and keep it in the fridge!

Have fun!

My favourite vegan curry is this spinach, sweet potato and coconut milk recipe. It's SO easy as well! http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3715/spinach-and-sweet-potato-curry

I then like doing all the extras:

If you make your own samosas with filo pastry then they are vegan. Rice of course is vegan, as are chapatis and poppadoms. Lenti dahl is easy peasy and can be made vegan, as can a chickpea-based side dish.

http://www.instructables.com/id/The-BEST-chococlate-cake-ever...that-happens-to-be/

Asked a vegan friend and she instantly linked me to this - said she made it the other day and it was INCREDIBLE. Naughty but nice dessert?

your all such lovely people and a great help

Onion bhajis are really simple, lovely savoury taste too. Now I want one.

I'm vegetarian. This thread is making me hungry!

last night i had some grilled haloumi and cous cous ( you do need to check the haloumi though as not all of it is veggie and it obviously won't be vegan!)

all you have to do is to chop the haloumi into slices and then dry fry in a pan, or on a griddle. the cheese stays crispy and browns to make a nice tasty crunchy stuff.

and cous cous is like rice but simple, just boil the kettle, pour water over the cous cous, cover and set aside for 5 mins untill fluffy. otherwise the haloumi would be nice served warm with a bed of salad as a starter, or with some bruschetta

sweetlove666 wrote:

last night i had some grilled haloumi and cous cous ( you do need to check the haloumi though as not all of it is veggie and it obviously won't be vegan!)

all you have to do is to chop the haloumi into slices and then dry fry in a pan, or on a griddle. the cheese stays crispy and browns to make a nice tasty crunchy stuff.

and cous cous is like rice but simple, just boil the kettle, pour water over the cous cous, cover and set aside for 5 mins untill fluffy. otherwise the haloumi would be nice served warm with a bed of salad as a starter, or with some bruschetta

Or pita bread and red onion jelly and balsamic vinegar.

Grilled halloumi is my favourite food on the planet :D

Adx