Toy arrived greasy?

I ordered my first toys and they came today yay! But one of them feels a bit sweaty/oily/greasy to the touch. Is it safe to use? I'm going to clean it first but wanted to check because I'm new to all this and googling has scared me!

What toy is it you ordered?

I suspect not!

Can you link us to which ty you purchased?

If in doubt, don't use, return to LH for a free replacement

Oh, I should have said that! It's one of the PVC vibrator dildo type things. Googling has scared me on the PVC part of things now!

It is this one:

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=1738

I dont know as dont own one. Go on the live chat and customer service will sort it out for you.

Hi

This is normal for some toys to do this in their packaging, especially if they are made from a jelly/rubber material or something similar.

Just wash it with water before use and a spritx of sex toy cleaner. From looking at your order I can assure you all of the toys at Lovehoney are bodysafe. We wouldn't sell something that is harmful. I know which toy you are talking about on your order and they are all like this.

Please contact customer care if you feel you want to ask anything more or return it. We don't want you to be scared of using your new toy!

Many thanks

Uhuhyesplease wrote:

I ordered my first toys and they came today yay! But one of them feels a bit sweaty/oily/greasy to the touch. Is it safe to use? I'm going to clean it first but wanted to check because I'm new to all this and googling has scared me!

Hey Uhuhyesplease

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your first sex toy order!

It sounds to me like you've bought a skin safe rubber / plastic-based toy - am I right? Toys made of this material can arrive with a residue on them (almost like they've been sweating in the pack!) but a quick rinse with warm water and an antibacterial spray will clean it up. It's totally safe to use. 

If you're not keen on this though, you can return it to us and choose a toy made from a different material. The higher the quality of the material, the less likely you are to find this residue on your toys. Lots of customers love materials like silicone, metal and glass for this exact reason. 

That shouldn't be greasy. I suspect it has been subject to excessive heat or come in contact with something in shouldn't have during transit. I'd return it if I were you.

Yup...that is normal for pvc. Put it on a piece of cardboard and watch the stain grow.

I personally wouldn't class it is safe to use. I am sure your googling has told you why! But a lot of people wouldn't worry about it. A lot of people use a condom with them too, which seems like a good compromise if it is a toy you really like the look of.

Ah I've just seen the link to the product - yep! That product is prone to being "sweaty".

As Cazz said, we would never sell anything that isn't body safe, but if you're not keen, feel free to send it on back for an exchange or a refund :) 

I thought it was normal for pvc and some rubber toys to have a residue on them, I thoughts it was something they are made with? I could be totally wrong though as I don't used them toys myself anymore.

I've had a few toys with this greasy film on them, more common on jelly type material, just washes off, I was always under the impression it was something they put on the toy to keep it in good condition till it gets to the customer, kind of like the tyre shine stuff on a new car. Get it washed off and enjoy :)

I won't use any jelly/rubber toys for that reason. For toys that are used internally I'll only use 100% silicone, glass or stainless steel and for external toys I'll also use ABS plastic. If you don't like rubber toys I'd recommend trying these materials. You can filter toys by material in the side bar.

jeffngloria wrote:

I've had a few toys with this greasy film on them, more common on jelly type material, just washes off, I was always under the impression it was something they put on the toy to keep it in good condition till it gets to the customer, kind of like the tyre shine stuff on a new car. Get it washed off and enjoy :)

I also wondered this, that it is something the factory put on to keep the toy 'moist' and in good condition whilst it travels over the world. To prevent damage in temperatures reached in transit and stop it from sticking to its packaging.

Thank you for all the replies! Very much appreciated!

I think I'm going to give it a wash later and see if that sorts it out. If not, I think then I might contact customer care to exchange it? Hopefully its little bath will sort it though because I do like the look of it!

It good practice to wash all toys thoroughly before use anyway even if new .Most plastics need a mould release grease duing the manufacturing process. You really don't want this inside you .

Some materials sweat in packaging after manufacturing, one reason is because the product hasn't had enough conditioning time prior to being packed away, basically meaning it hasn't aired.

mysteron wrote:

It good practice to wash all toys thoroughly before use anyway even if new .Most plastics need a mould release grease duing the manufacturing process. You really don't want this inside you .

Yes it could also be the slip agents used too :-)

A sa seperate note, keep toys made fom this sort of material away from each other - so in their own storage bags