Toys holding a smell

Ola folks

Does anyone have any idea of how to sort toys holding smells?

For example, I have

And cleaned it with

But the toy still has a smell of bottom…and it’s not my only toy that does this, holds a smell.

So has anyone any tips for removing such stench?

1 Like

Following this, I have a butt plug 12 months on its still holding its smell, As I was moving I put it in a LH bag ans a box and the smell has gone onto my other stuff.

I’m afraid it’s unavoidable with silicone and rubber toys. They have a slightly porous surface which retains odours.

I have tried a number of different cleaners on my toys but the smell still remains. I’ve just learned to live with it.

I don’t know much about this, but here’s a Dangerous Lilly blog with some tips in. :+1:

2 Likes

I always douche before I do anything anal and nothing I use smells afterwards. Glass and silicone butt plugs have been fine - even right after use.

I have that same cleaner and I don’t think it’s as good as the LH one. It seems more like it’s covering smells rather than eliminating them. Have you tried letting the toy soak in warm soapy water for a while?

4 Likes

I soak mine in hot water, and I’ll give it a check and refresh the hot water if I need to. That seems to get the smells out. When I say hot water I mean as hot as the tap will get it, sometimes I lightly boil not like full boiling but close to it for em.

2 Likes

Five minutes of boiling tends to sort out my silicone toys, but then again, I’ve never had to deal with any severe butt smells. Airing out toys seems to work to a degree, too.

1 Like

With my toy I don’t think there is any way to get rid of the smell as it’s the smell of the actual toy.

@teacake What material is it I know jelly and pvc ones smell really bad to me I ended up just getting rid of ones I had

1 Like

@Llyahl I’m not sure what it is the description doesn’t say accept soft plastic.

I’ve never had a problem with smells but gave my friend who did a bottle of Pjur Med cleansing spray. She was throwing out toys on a regular basis despite always having douched before use.

I noticed they’ve changed the formula recently so no idea if it will be as effective as the old one.

Otherwise, a dilute bleach soak will almost certainly work.

1 Like

Dishwasher.

I’ve washed butt toys as normal and left to air dry.
I’ve known a few bloggers that swear by boiling silicone toys.
Good luck finding something that works for you.

I have found that if you bring it into the hot shower after it’s all cleaned and leave it up high so it gets steamed, it helps get rid of the smell. Unfortunately, I think it takes a few showers for it to work. Not a big deal if you can just leave your plug somewhere high and you don’t have to worry who sees it.

I’ve just re-ordered the Pjur Med Personal Cleansing Spray as I noticed the ingredients say it’s back to the original Chlorhexidine formula.

I swear by this stuff and have handed bottles out to the neuro sex toy user group I belong to as it’s brilliant at preventing smells as well as getting rid of them.

I also gave some to a cyclist friend of mine that was getting a sweaty, smelly everything on long rides. She sprays skin, clothing and saddle before and after (after wiping equipment down) spins and now says she no longer feels anxious about her fellow cyclists catching a whiff of anything sweaty (including her shoes that were whiffable while still on!). Social distancing is fine unless you’re downwind apparently.

If you’re still having problems, Bigiain, I’d suggest washing with a detergent like soap, washing up liquid or Lovehoney’s own toy cleaner first before spraying. It’s probably fine for vaginal toys, though, I don’t know how much I’d trust tea tree oil spray to do that good a job on a high microbe load like an anal toy. I do really love tea tree oil but it’s not a miracle worker. I’d not be fancying my surgeon replacing his Hibiscrub with a TTO hand cleaner.

1 Like

Reviving this as it was the closest I could find. Are toys generally dishwasher safe? Do you use soap or just a hot or cool wash?

Do steel toys need anything more than boiled water for cleaning / sterilising? Is it safe to use sterilising tablets or will that affect the materials?

Depends on the material. Obviously anything with a motor isn’t safe but silicone, metal and glass dildos etc should be fine. It’s only really worth putting toys in the dishwasher if you have a sanitise setting (or you have a lot to clean at once).

Warm soapy water is the most you need generally.

Warm soapy water to clean, boiled water to sterilise. Doesn’t need anything else.

If you choose to use anything else, be aware you need to give the toy a good rinse afterwards to make sure there isn’t any residue left on the toy.

2 Likes

Thanks @Calie, I’ve cleaned it with anti bacterial goop and then sterilised in boiling water for 20 minutes. It’s still toasty now!