US plug on charger for toy?!

I have just recieved a We-vibe 3 with a US/Canadian plug on it. Can I just use a normal adapter plug or should I use one that reduces the voltage?

I am currently using one I normally use with my electric toothbrush but the OH has just told me that its a 1 amp one and won't work - even though the charging light is on!

Any insight would be much appreciated! x

Did you get it from LH? That doesn't sound right - surely it should have a UK adaptor on it?!

Not that, that answers your question as I have no idea, sorry x

I used a normal adapter and mine seems to be still keeping charge ok :)

First did you buy that from lovehoney.co.uk or .com?

Well if the charging lights on, put your hand on the plug and toy to see if it hot and smell it, if theres no hot heat or burning smell then all clear!

let it charge for 15min, then try using the toy unplugged?

of course a toothbrush uses good amout of power because of the motor, so if the We-vibe 3 has moving part, and it goes ok. then the toothbush charge might be suitable if the amps are right and volts too, but for some reason it breaks you "may" or will have no come back on the toy!

If the toy was brought on the UK lovehoney website contact them first, you may return and get a proper uk one for FREE!

Dirty Red Angel wrote:

Did you get it from LH? That doesn't sound right - surely it should have a UK adaptor on it?!

Not that, that answers your question as I have no idea, sorry x

I think she won it in a comp from We-vibe on twitter? I too got mine from We-vibe, and as it came from the US it doesn't have a UK charger.

It has been plugged in since 11.30 this morning and the plug and charging base are not even getting warm. On the underside of the plug it says 110v - 240v and it has 2 flat pins.

I have emailed Lovehoney and asked them what they normally send out with theirs so hopefully if its a UK charging lead I can buy one.

I won it from We-Vibe who are based in canada hence the US plug!

You need to see if toy is rated for 240v. If it's only rated for 110v our 240 will destroy it. Generally you need a transformer that makes 240v into 110v. It would be wise to unplug. My guess if it's a 110v charger you have already blown charge unit. Toy possibly ok.x

nice! won a toy

Stuburns wrote:

You need to see if toy is rated for 240v. If it's only rated for 110v our 240 will destroy it. Generally you need a transformer that makes 240v into 110v. It would be wise to unplug. My guess if it's a 110v charger you have already blown charge unit. Toy possibly ok.x

I am useless at this sort of thing!

It says on the underside of the plug Input 100v-240v is this what you mean?

The plug will say rated up to 240v because it's a general plug. If it's a we vibe 3 I'm guessing it sits on a charge unit. Look underneath the charge unit. These usually take 240v down to 12v to charge the little motor inside. If it says 110v you have probably blown charge unit. Something that is rated for 110v cannot take 240v.

Ok looking into this on the web, considering it says input range is 100v-240v - 50/60hz - 0.25a max- I should be Ok with a normal adapter plug.

I have unplugged it from the shaver adapter

Stuburns wrote:

The plug will say rated up to 240v because it's a general plug. If it's a we vibe 3 I'm guessing it sits on a charge unit. Look underneath the charge unit. These usually take 240v down to 12v to charge the little motor inside. If it says 110v you have probably blown charge unit. Something that is rated for 110v cannot take 240v.

on the bottom of the charge unit it just has 6v and a load of electrical symbols!

The light on the base unit is still coming on

Good stuff. You are fine if it gives you range of. 100 to 240. Have fun. X

6v what the charge unit takes it down too. Like I said the little motors aren't 240v motors.

Thank you xx

My electrical engineering skills come in useful. Could even bore you with what the symbols mean. Bet there is one with a square inside a square. Zzzzzzz. I hate my job. Forever fixing stuff for the neighbours, boilers, cookers. Not had anyone come to me with a vibrator yet. Anyway they will be gutted soon. I'm moving house. When there electric trips they can't come knocking. Ha ha. Have a good evening. X

You have to charge it for 24hrs before using anyway, so am sure if you have it in a travel plug adapter thing it will be ok..... It will be the impatience that get you ;)

MissTerryCleavage wrote:

You have to charge it for 24hrs before using anyway, so am sure if you have it in a travel plug adapter thing it will be ok..... It will be the impatience that get you ;)

I have unplugged it now - dont want to set the house on fire overnight! (probably an over reaction but hey!)

I'll get a proper adapter in the morning and plug it in for 24hrs then (even though its already had 8!) as we-vibe say it can't be overcharged.

I'm out tomorrow night anyway so can't use it till saturday even if I wanted too Although the urge to just turn it on is hard to resist!

Least will make the weekend fun :)

Enjoy, better to be safe than sorry...