USB chargers

Probably a really daft question, but we have a couple of toys with USB chargers. Our computer is down stairs in the lounge which makes charging difficult with a very nosy 8 year old around! I know you can get mains adapters for USB chargers, but are they all the same voltage or do I need to get anything specific? Thanks!

GlamRockChick wrote:

Probably a really daft question, but we have a couple of toys with USB chargers. Our computer is down stairs in the lounge which makes charging difficult with a very nosy 8 year old around! I know you can get mains adapters for USB chargers, but are they all the same voltage or do I need to get anything specific? Thanks!

They're pretty much interchangeable.

I have plugs for my iPhone so use that, you should be able to pick one up in a supermarket or phone shop

I think so considering they are charging off a computer which will be running on UK voltage (yeah that's my logic, daft as it may be lol). I use a mains adapter for an ipod and one that came with my Blackberry. One that came with a Samsung phone too, I believe. Never had any problems with them!

Just like I use my Iroha charging cable to charge my phone lol. I think they are all interchangeable...if they aren't I'd like the heads up too before I blow my house up or something :p

They're all the same, don't worry about it :P
A few companies actually sell mains adapters for their stuff, but you probably have one knocking about from a phone or something :)

You can get adaptors easily enough, partner uses one, that plugs in the mains, that takes three USB thingy majigies

I've got one especially for my new rabbit.

USB 2.0 standard ports are 5V and 500 mA ( milliampere or also 0.5 A ). You can use any usb charger, you have just to look how much mA it can give. If 500 or more you are ok.

you can get plugs with a usb port in them i have one that i originally bought so i could charge up my iRiver mp3 players and my ipod with out having my computer on, with the aid of an extension cable i also use it for my rechargable toys i don't charge them through my laptop unless i absolutely have to. somewhere i also have a 2 port usb that lets you charge stuff through a car's cigarette lighter

Cool, thanks everyone! Saves me having to remember to take things off charge before the kids wake up!

I just use my iphone plug never used my laptop for charging any of my usb toys.

Yeah I just use my phone chatger!! A lot more convenient haha

A lot of phone charges are usb cables attached to a plug, if yours is like this you can just take out the phone cable and put your sex toy charge in its place. They all work at the same voltage its safe.

All usb charges will give out the correct voltage (USB voltage is a standard) but they will give out different power levels. Most will be 500ma which is fine but slow, Apple chargers are 2A if I remember correctly.

I have just swapped out the dual gang socket our bedroom for ones with USB sockets (Amazon and screwfix do them). Easy to do with the power off.

All chargers have different A ratings these days, the higher the faster it will charge. The older the phone, the lower the charging current will likely be. Apart from that, they are interchangeable.