Vibrators and UTIs

UTI = Urinary Tract Infection - aka bladder infection. For the ladies who get them these are extremely unpleasant.

I'd like to know if any ladies here get them with the use of vibrators.

My wife and I stopped using vibrators on her several years ago because of persistent UTIs. This was NOT a hygiene issue, we were (and are) scrupulous in our toy cleansing and personal hygiene routines and (believe it or not) she doesn't have a problem with the use of dildos. I've read several articles on the subject and each ascribes the issue to hygiene. Our belief is that it's (for her) an issue with over stimulation because when she gets one now (maybe a couple of times a year rather than 3 times out of 5 when we used a vibrator) it's invariably when we had a particularly passionate and lengthy encounter. Her nurse practitioner has suggested that she has a low level of bacteria permanently present in her bladder and that over stimulation triggers these to start multiplying.

Although I liked using vibrators on her (and she enjoyed them a lot, too) the suffering she experienced made it a no-go area. With a little imagination and thoughtfulness she doesn't miss them much.

Any thoughts to share or similar experiences?

That's a shame, I would really miss mine. Did you try different materials eg, silicone, abs plastic etc? Or vibrating cockrings?

Does she experience the same problems when using vibrators externally?

Believe me guys, we tried all kinds of vibes and external as well as internal. Not looking for sympathy here, ;) our sex life is excellent for a pair of old farts! I'm just interested in finding out if anyone else has the same issue... or if she's as unique in this as she is in every other way.

Yes. I used (and loved) dildos that were made from PVC, which is a porus materal that harbours bacteria, no matter how well you clean and sanitize it. I had 2 UTIs in the space of 6 months and decided enough was enough and stopped using the PVC dildos full stop. I have now recently switched to silicone and ive been fine since.

UTIs can also be brought on by certain types of lubes that the vagina just doesnt agree with. Glycerin and Glycol are one of a few ingrediants to avoid.

Lubes don't cause a problem at all, nor do different dildo materials. It's just the vibrations. We've worked this like a medical experiment in the past. No vibes, no problems.

Could it be due to the type of vibrations? If you were using buzzy toys, they could very well be causing the overstimulation

We've tried all sorts with the same result. Probably the high frequency buzzy vibes would be a bit more liable to set it off but so do the more conventional ones... even the old plug in Pifco massager used externally in the vaginal area does it!

I have had uti's but not from vibrators. They can be prevented by taking an antibiotic before sexual activity and also go to the loo immediately after sex helps as this flushes out the bladder. She may not want to take tablets for this regularly though in comparison to getting by with dildos with no ill affects.
I have also heard that drinking a glass of cranberry juice daily prevents uti's and have read on here (I can't remember who) that does this and has never had a uti since so that might be worth a try.
Sorry I can't offer anymore help regarding vibrators causing this solely.

Were the dildos made from a porous material (eg. PVC, rubber, jelly)? Porous materials may not be toxic but they can harbour bacteria within their pores, meaning they can never truly be sterilized.

As already stated it could be the materials carrying old / dirty bacteria. It could be that the lube used could be causing it too, if any is used, although it could also be that no lube is used.

Does she go to the loo after use as this should help flush out the nasties.

Pelvic floor exercises can help prevent UTIs as they can help keep bacteria when penetrating the vagina with items.

Also it may not be the toys but diet. It's worth considering as high sugar items can result in more UTIs.

Plus you say it's not a hygiene issue, but using too much soap or scrubbing the vulva a lot can upset the natural defenses. I'm not sure how extensive your partner cleans but I've met some people who over clean and it results in up setting either their vagina or urethra.

Sometimes more of a warm-up can help too, or for some a smaller toy.

There's a good few things to take into account really.

I used to suffer from repeated UTI's and my Dr told me to drink unsweetened cranberry juice at least twice a day. Also make sure you wipe front to back after going to the toilet and empty your bladder fully immediately after sex, you lean backwards as far as you can go, then you lean right forward over your knees whilst sitting on toilet. Also don't be too fusssy clean down below, there is supposed to be a film of white cream in the tiny creases of your lips, it is a self cleansing area.

Hasn't the OP's already established that its the vibrations rather than the material the toy is made of/cleaned thats the issue? Or am I missing something? It soulds to me like the buzzing creates some kind of trauma, maybe very rare but nonetheless possible. We are all different after all