Was I being selfish?

Situation: daughter had minor surgery 5 days ago, and on top of that is constipated. Mrs has covid and is quite unwell. After spending several days in the house to support recovery of daughter and help the Mrs, and doing the chores and running around and generally doing everything, I declared I go for a walk to clear my head before making tea - because I have been a grumpy git and feeling generally rubbish due to the tension in my body.
I went for a walk for around 30 minutes, and feel a little better, but feel guilty for abandoning the household for me time. Should I feel guilty?

1 Like

Just my opinion. I see no harm that has been done. We all need to step away and take a break from time to time. I feel you have done the right thing. I very often take a short walk to clear my head and put things in perspective. For myself, it does a world of good. I usually come back much more relaxed and can deal with situations better. Very loving of you the way you take care of your family. I am very much like that. Do what it takes to get the job done kind of attitude. I do have a few friends that would still count on the Mrs. to do it all. LOL. I am sure your walk did wonders and took some of the grumpy away. :grin:

2 Likes

No! You deserved a little bit of you time. It is hard work supporting others through illness, so a little time to recharge the batteries is well earned.

What prompted the question…?

2 Likes

I’ll get back to you. Making tea and there is a tearful child on the toilet :slightly_frowning_face:

Not selfish at all, when looking after loved ones, we have to look after ourselves too. Plus, it was just a brief walk.

1 Like

@MrSilverback needed.
Have you tried apple juice for the constipation?

We care for 2 grandkids 4 days per week and my wife has Parkinsons so I do all the housework and cooking (its also part of our female led male chastity relationship).

Sometimes I need some time and space to mysrlf so i go into the garage and work on my motorbike for a couple of hours.
Everyone needs a break sometimes.

2 Likes

She is a fussy eater… However, she has had OJ, raisons, apple, but she is at the point where she has no appitite. Doc prescribed laxido last Monday,

Prune juice is also helpful or dates, possibly mix into a smoothie with some.other tastier ingredients.

Going for a quick walk is not selfish. Sometimes you need to be a little selfish (or a better way to say it is maybe occasional put your self first) though to be a better person overall.

1 Like

Thanks for your replies. A look or comment made me think I wasn’t thinking of them or abanding them… And it has been said that I was avoiding stuff before when I would go out for a run or walk, or even when I take too long on an errand. So perhaps a few thoughts swimming around in my head.
Self care is important, I get that. I have been calmer since I returned, I am no-longer clenching my jaw or feeling tense.

3 Likes

If there was a look or comment, its probably because they’re not able to go out themselves and misery loves company.
I think you know yourself that you weren’t abandoning your family and that you shouldn’t feel guilty.

2 Likes

Definitely not selfish as others have said. If it helps you could always think about what does the least harm? If you go for a short walk none gets hurt and you get some much deserved me time but if you had stayed in the house you might have ended up letting all of that tension build up and ended up accidentally lashing out at your family. I hope they both start to feel better soon :green_heart:

2 Likes

Certainly not @MrSilverback
Sounds like you recognised the need for you to reset yourself which is important to the heath of you too.

It’s essential to have your own time and I’m sure the world will continue to spin

It’s good to clear your head

Definitely not, you sometimes need a small break just to recharge the batteries. It’s better fir everyone

Not at all! Your just as deserving of some rest bite too and from the sounds of it your keeping the whole house ticking over which is bound to start making you feel miserable paired along with being stuck at home with a family member that’s unwell. It’s good practice to have some regular you time every week so that you don’t end up crashing down with everyone else :relieved:

I was taught in battlefield first aid - do not become a casualty yourself!!

If you end up not well either physically or mentally then you cannot help others.
I think not only did you do the right thing here, but you should do this every day to give yourself some fresh air and clear thinking time away from everything else.
Look after yourself first and others when you can and are able to.

1 Like