Water infections after using dildos?

Hi all, I’m asking for my OH, as the title says she is very prone to water infections after inserting dildo’s and stopped using them a few years, she never has any problems with any other sex practices we do which includes anal play, she was very anal with cleanliness especially as this was a common problem for her, cleaning toys before and after, even then she’d get water infections regularly so that when she decided to stop using dildo’s and only used cliteral stimulators, she hadn’t had water infections for ages and with not really think about it recently decided she wanted to start going very big vaginally with dildo’s and bought a few new larger ones, even though she cleaned them with toy cleaner and put condons on them literally the second time she used one the dreaded water infection came back. Has anyone else experience this? Any tips for trying to prevent further water infections, the doctor did give her a bit of advice but she admits she was a bit coy as to what could possibly be causing them, not exactly the thing she comfortable sharing, just said it was after sex.
Cheers all.

2 Likes

I’ve never had any issues when I’ve used toys, though I don’t use condoms on them, could it be the condoms? If lube is being used, is it in date? Is the issue occurring after sex also or only when using toys?

Your partner could go to the GUM clinic instead of the GP, maybe she’d feel more open to being really honest. The last time I went to the clinic, years ago now bc I discovered SH:24, but I told them I was a swinger, at that time I was, and they were great with me. There was no judgement at all. Admitting she likes a big dildo shouldn’t be an issue, though I can’t imagine the size would cause any UTIs.

Other than the standard, wash your bits, drink lots of water, get some cranberry juice, wash toys before and after, try a different condom brand, go chat with a GUM nurse as they may be able to offer more specific advice.

2 Likes

I agree with @JoCat and that if she is using condoms, then it could be the brand that is causing the issue. It could also be the toy cleaner, if it isn’t being washed off thoroughly and/or is old it might be disagreeing with her. The other option is that she over cleaning, particularly if she uses anti bacterial soap/toy cleaner and that the anti bac is attacking the good bacteria too much.

Otherwise, what materials are the toys? Some pvc and TPE toys can have reactions with condoms so any bacteria on the toy can still get through the condom if it breaks down.

2 Likes

Condoms aren’t the issue as I use them regularly and never have a problem, also the lube she uses is our go to LH discovery lube that we’ve use for years and get through a lot, so is never out of date.

1 Like

I’m probably stating the obvious here, but is your OH emptying her bladder fully before sex/play? While a fuller bladder can provide a more intense orgasm for some, the pressure placed on the bladder/urethra by anything in the vaginal canal can cause UTIs if the bladder is full.

Since you said the UTIs weren’t happening with clit-only play, my other thought is that the angle of penetration might be irritating the urethral opening. It may be worth a bit of trial and error with other positions to see if this makes a difference.

As @Pixie40 says it may be irritating urethral opening. We find if we go hard and fast with the balls hitting clitoral area that it gives her issues at times

Are they silicone or pvc materials? I find silicone sometimes has a very rough porous texture and that may be irritating/abrasive on the delicate tissues even with lube, it may also help harbour bacteria in the rough surface. Maybe try glass?

Some people are just prone to water infections - as others say keep clean and sterile all toys and avoid latex if allergic to it

Other wise - enjoy

Mmm do you use sterile lube on them?

Empty bladder AFTER not before as with males and sounding, so it seems the issue is stopping things entering the urethra to prevent infection or wash out before anything takes hold after playing?
I sometimes wonder if a short sounding plug inserted in her would help prevent utis bit of an extreme idea but you can see where im coming from?

How old is she? This is a common problem in perimenopause onwards. They’re not always UTIs, they can be bladder irritation but not a bacterial infection, which is why it’s important to get urine samples in to the GP for testing.

Anyway, what happens as folks with vulvas get older is that the tissues in the area get thinner due to less oestrogen, and thus sexual activity can set off bladder problems. I’m 45 and it started to affect me a couple of years ago, as well as having to give up on menstrual cups. The GP put me on vaginal oestrogen cream, which is very safe, it’s not absorbed systematically. I recently ran out for a fortnight, and regretted it when we had sex and it irritated my bladder again. It also made me realise how much good the cream is doing me, I’m really pleased about that.

Two years ago, I’d been getting so many UTIs, and so many irritated bladder episodes which turned out negative for bacteria (but which we realised only after I’d been given antibiotics), that I was getting antibiotic resistant infections, and that’s no fun at all. And the waiting list for gynaecology is really long, I think it’s been the best part of two years and I’m only getting the appointment through now.

For what it’s worth, I’m not on systemic HRT yet, though I’m starting to talk to my GP about it. Vaginal oestrogen isn’t really considered HRT.

I agree with this, emptying your bladder after is good practice for men and women!

Sorry late to reply to this.
I had non stop water infections using silicon/ realistic dildos, no matter what I did, washed before and after, used condom, emptied bladder before play.

My doctors were rubbish so I checked into sexual health clinic and they advised I try glass and not had a water infection since!

Doesn’t help when you wanna go bigger I know! X

2 Likes