We Vibe Court Case

http://www.theladbible.com/more/weird-dildo-company-ordered-to-pay-3-million-damages-after-spying-on-user-20170315

Anybody seen this?

I have indeed, hopefully will bring the wider concept of consent to the fore

I don't think this is okay.

£8k per person owed 😮

Well this is creepy. If only the compensation applied to non US customers, I wouldn't mind quite so much then! :p

No I am kidding, I'm actually not ok with this. Not something I would have opted into but hey, I guess they have the info now eh :/

I guess this just shows how even people in a sex positive community can be unsure about boundaries and consent. More education needed on this topic I think.

I understand why they did it but an opt-in would have been much better and saved them tons of money and respect. I really like We Vibe so it's quite disappointing. 🙁

Wow...we have one of those...

Both surprised at the companies lack of understanding and foresight and slightly not surprised in equal measures.

Shame the compensation doesn't apply to non-US Customers lol.

I have this we-vibe. I'm gonna sie them for not giving me compo 👊

Just kidding. Luckily I don't mind, most apps gather my info in one way or another.

I was so keen on getting one of these, not so sure now!

Well shit. I have this D:

Could we collectively take them to court over here over it?

As someone whp has wanted an app controlled toy for a long time, I find this very off-putting. :(

This is why I only use bluetooth connections on my remote vibes and not the apps.

Unfortunately this is very mich the case with a lot of technology.
In the US there is a murder case where Amazon have been issued with a warrant for the recordings made my one of the Echo/Dot devices which was owned by the accused.
Echo/Dot devices are said to passively listen for their 'Alexa' queues and data is stored. The police believe this recording may have evidence of the murder taking place.
Just shows how easy it is for information about you can be gathered.

There are billboards in London that change to target people as they come past. They have the technology to identify what sites people have viewed on their mobile devices and can change the image accordingly.

How our can be captured and then used is incredible!!

(can you see where the nerd bit of my name came from now?)

It doesn't say just in America though does it? I would contact them if I had it. You never know

NaughtyNerd wrote:

Unfortunately this is very mich the case with a lot of technology.
In the US there is a murder case where Amazon have been issued with a warrant for the recordings made my one of the Echo/Dot devices which was owned by the accused.
Echo/Dot devices are said to passively listen for their 'Alexa' queues and data is stored. The police believe this recording may have evidence of the murder taking place.
Just shows how easy it is for information about you can be gathered.

Me and captain were talking about this the other week!!! There is a setting on the Kinect that does the same if you don't turn it off

It just doesn't bother me to be honest.

Thank god we don't have those in Hull,The billboard if I walked past in last hour would recognise love honey and fab swingers lol

If you took the email address out of the equation so the data was entirely anonymous, everything else they've tracked seems perfectly ok, stupid oversight which has cost them a lot!

NewbieCouple1984 wrote:

Thank god we don't have those in Hull,The billboard if I walked past in last hour would recognise love honey and fab swingers lol

😂😂 same!