What contraception do you use?

I’m a trans woman so I don’t have to be really concerned for contraception in terms of pregnancy. Especially as my partner is a cis guy, either way at the start of any sexual thing condoms are a must no matter who i’m. Those stay in play till we’re in a exclusive relationship and have both been tested. For example with my partner we got together fairly quickly and even though we were using condoms we both spoke about and had been tested recently for me it was closer his like a month further back but neither of us had been with anyone for a bit before that. So we talked about and shifted to none after a couple months. So ya currently none usually condoms.

Also wishing you luck on your journey when you start HRT

2 Likes

@Enchantress29 thank you so much! I’ve been waiting over 3 years now I think- it just takes ages

3 Likes

I’m sorry waiting sucks and it’s one of the few areas I think some not all of the states(i’m in the states) is more advance as far as the wait and process to get HRT.

I’m just over 2 years on HRT.

2 Likes

I’m in the UK and I’m waiting on the NHS. It’s severely underfunded and I just can’t afford the cost long term without going through the NHS

2 Likes

I’ve had the arm implant for nearly 6 years (2 implants) and was on depo injections for a decade or so before that. I loved the depo injection and am very much hoping that I can go back to that when this implant runs out because I didn’t have periods on depo and I bloody hate them (no pun intended!)

They wouldn’t let me stay on depo any longer without a break so any damage done to bone density could repair but I’m sure I’ve had a long enough break now as I was much happier on depo! :pray:t2:

3 Likes

Cost depending on where you are in the world can be insanely high which it truly shouldn’t be and I kind of figured the UK part a good chunk of the users here are there(not all obviously). It sucks waiting just hold your head high and you’ll get there. It’s all a journey and no two journey’s are exactly the same, my ex wife and I started 3 months apart she started first and being skinnier got a higher dose despite that I have had better results.

2 Likes

Nothing now as Mr John had a vasectomy this year. Previously condoms as the pill made me sick (and erratic). I absolutely love not using condoms!

2 Likes

I use the Henry Cooper ‘Brut’ method…splash it allover​:grin:

2 Likes

We used condoms in the early days, then Bunny had the coil fitted, but she ended up going through the change without realising, so now we’re free and easy… :sweat_drops:

3 Likes

Over the years I’ve used a few different methods …condoms , the pill, the cap , the mini pill and the coil (both the copper one and the Mirena) Then finally for medical reasons a hysterectomy so no more periods or contraceptive worries! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I feel that.

1 Like

Withdrawal method, successfully so far.

1 Like

I have tried all sorts but nothing seemed to agree with me tried pills and patches and coils. So we just use condoms, but then I found I had a latex allergy so now have to faff getting latex free ones.

1 Like

@DLJL oooo very risky. I wouldn’t at all recommend it, but I’ve managed to be successful with it in the past. There’s always a chance though so good luck :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

My wife has just gone back onto the implant after the arrival of our 2nd child. She finds it works great and doesn’t give her any strange side effects. I guess is hould think about a vasectomy at some point so she can come off it as we don’t plan on having any others now.

2 Likes

@M32 this is why I chose the patch, as I only have to think about it once a week and having it visible to myself doesn’t bother me :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I personally wouldn’t want the pill or implant, and while injections would be fine, I’m very happy with my choice

1 Like

Atm we only use condoms, but I had been on the pill for years. I’ve also had a hormonal IUD which really fucked up my hormones. I was bleeding heavily, had even more pre-menstrual pain than usual and got lots of new facial hair - that did not disappear after I got the IUD removed.

Since I don’t want kids, I’d really like to get my tubes tied. I just haven’t done it yet because a) we don’t have penis-in-vagina sex all that often and b) I don’t have someone to care for me for a minimum of 2 weeks after surgery. But I AM going to get it when I can!

6 Likes

I didn’t know this was a thing? They only wanted someone I know to take me home and be with me, but didn’t have a set time of days for this. I was back at work 5 days after the operation I think.

3 Likes

Oh, that’s lovely! :open_mouth:

I’m in a childfree group on Facebook. Obviously, many of the members there have gotten sterilized. Based on many of their posts and comments, I was under the impression that I wouldn’t be able to take care of myself for approximately 2 weeks post surgery.

It’s easier if it’s less than a week. At the moment I don’t have anyone that can visit me every day for 4-5 days in a row, but that’s easier to arrange than two full weeks! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think it may depend on the surgery and job you have? I had clips and I work in an office so it’s not exactly physically taxing, haha. I would say the first 3 days were when I probably needed the most support.

The hospital didn’t even give me any antibiotics to take home. Just gave me a handful of painkillers and said I can just take cheap store ones after that if I needed and peppermint tea for the gas.

I understand that having your tubes removed would need more time to heal, though? I actually wanted mine removed but they wouldn’t have it. They said if the clips fail, only then will they do it for me. The clips are doing well so far, though :blush:

4 Likes