What’s wrong with men in swim briefs?

I’m not sure if this is the right place for this discussion. I was just wondering why so many people seem to have a downer on the humble swim brief? Are they really overly sexual, pervey? I have been to swimming pools and beaches in the UK that have been packed and I’m the only bloke in speedos? They are just so much more comfortable than wet, baggy board shorts. Could do with some reassurance that I’m not offending anyone.

I feel your discomfort . When I was between 20 and about 35 or so I wore a suit that was lower on the sides than a speedo . I started wearing my first one because it did not bunch up under my wet suit . Also after several years of body building they felt and looked much better . If I offended anyone , they said nothing . I stopped wearing them at pools to not embarass my step son after getting married to my second wife . That was many years ago , before everone was offended by everything . Now that I am old and out of shape I wear very short swim shorts in public . Except at nudist camp ! I also wear the shorts to not embarass my 16 year old grandson . If you look at my pictures , you can see from my tan lines the size of my suit , BTW , I am 61 .

I to love speedos and thong swimwear.

Last year in Jamaica i wore my red half back swim briefs for two weeks, the wife and i walked about 3 miles along the beach and back. Yes some people looked but sod them. this year we are going back to Jamaica and will be staying at the Hedonism resort so will be packing my thong swimwear for when i have to wear something and will be naked the rest of the time. I also wear my speedos at home in the summer and even wash the car in them, so much more comfatable than dork shorts.

There's nothing wrong with it at all, other than double standards. No matter your sex, age, colour, weight etc, wear what you feel comfortable in.

Whats wrong with the classic budgie smugler?

If you are happy to wear one, absolutely nothing.

In cold water, most men do suffer from package shrinkage, perhaps the inability to minimise the visible effects of this unavoidable situation leads some men to simply wear overly big / baggy shorts as not to draw attention to their deflated parts?

For others, it could be the unnerving risk of an unwanted erection, as with package shrinkage, package growth is equally hard to conceal in briefs (although, pitching a tent in shorts is also pretty obvious).

I feel more comfortable / less conspicuous in shorts, but thats my own personal preference. As above, if you are happy to rock the speedos, all power to you

I think there are two reasons why the British pour scorn on Speedos.

1) The type of mean who traditionally (or stereotypically) are thought to wear them. Either a posturing, over-confident, flashy guy... or a flabby old guy who would look better covered up. (This isn't my own opinion. I don't care what other people choose to wear.)

2) British people tend to be quite reserved and self-effacing. It's a wonder we aren't still wearing full-body bathing suits. I once stayed in a hotel full of Italians, and 95% of the men were wearing speedos.

Personally, I wear shorts a few inches above the knee. I'm not a fan of long board shorts, and I don't quite have the confidence in my physique for Speedos.

if your comfortable, or if you've got flaunt it