Who here has a lot of tattoos?

Because i have a question! I have 15 myself (yes i know i should stop but i totally intend on getting more) but the one of my neck has started scabbing. I have had this tattoo for 2/3 years im not sure... but it's never done this.

I was just curious as to if anyone else has had a problem like this with tattoos and is there anything i can put on it? It's not painful. Just highly annoying because it looks bad!

Any help would be GREATLY valued. I'm sorry if this shouldnt be on here but i do love the advice i get on here! It's better than anything and i know i can get many different answers :)

Bit odd it has started stabbing after so long. You could try putting bio oil or Almond oil on it?

I had a test patch for laser removal on one of mine and it's just not been healing like they said it would. The skin was flaking and scabby two months on from having it done. A beautician recommended to use Almond oil and it healed up within the week.

That's really odd! I only have 5 tattoos, my oldest one is 3 1/2 years old and it's never done anything like that. Maybe pop back to the place you had it done and get them to check it? Try bepanthen too, it's great for tattoo healing so maybe it will help with that too.

I'm having number 6 done in just under 2 weeks!

Could you have having an allergic reaction to that specific tattoo / ink? if it itches an antibiotic or cortizone cream may be something you want to try.

it actually sounds like you've got too much sun to it without protection against uv rays.... but yes almond oil and bio oil are great maybe try vitamin E oil too as great for scars that are getting tight...

ps 3 tats in 1 not big but getting a new big one soon...

You savoy said that your tattoo is on your neck, it could be sunburn. Before you dismiss the idea, your neck can get quite a lot of sun without you noticing, and it the tattoo is black the ink absorbs the heat from the sun, burning the skin from below the surface. This can happen even if the rest of the skin looks normal and not red.

i have a friend who has a ful sleeve tattoo and he puts sun cream on most days in summer as its on his driving arm. He had the same problem about 5years ago and it was the tattoo artist that explained to him.

So in theory treat as normal sunburn, after sun or antiseptic in the evening and sunscreen in the morning.

I hope this helps.

Fun Louise wrote:

You savoy said that your tattoo is on your neck, it could be sunburn. Before you dismiss the idea, your neck can get quite a lot of sun without you noticing, and it the tattoo is black the ink absorbs the heat from the sun, burning the skin from below the surface. This can happen even if the rest of the skin looks normal and not red.

i have a friend who has a ful sleeve tattoo and he puts sun cream on most days in summer as its on his driving arm. He had the same problem about 5years ago and it was the tattoo artist that explained to him.

So in theory treat as normal sunburn, after sun or antiseptic in the evening and sunscreen in the morning.

I hope this helps.

I never even thought of this, it makes a lot of sense! I have one on my neck too but my hair covers it most of the time. My partners sleeve peels when he gets sunburnt so he always uses suncream, even on cool days.

In that case, treating it as a normal sunburn is probably wise, as long as you try to avoid things which are artifically coloured or fragranced.

PS I have no tattoos, but had a friend who ended up with a bit of an allerfic reaction on one of hers I hope it is something simple like a sunburn. Either way positive vibes it heals up fast for you MBE.

My tattoos on my wrist, ankles and foot often get red itchy and inflamed in hot weather, or really cold tempreatures.
I persoanlly wouldnt put any oil based products on it as if you do so when its healing it makes it go weird and horrible. I would use savlon or just plain unfragrenced moisturiser.
My partner (tattoo artist) says to me he sees lots of people at work with the same problem. Especially in people whos skin changes throughout the year or if they have exema ect. Hope it gets better soon x

Haven't read the above comments. So I apologise if I repeat anything been said! (Far too tired)

None of mine have done this. Have you been sat in the sun and it's caught sun quicker? If so, Wack on some after sun for a few days, I'd even try putting on some tattoo goo. If it's just a bit hot I'd make sure you put a load of sun cream on it. It can't hurt. The pigments in the tattoo ink will absorb the heat and some of the UV energy from the sun, which I guess makes them more likely to break down slightly and cause an inflammation response.

Is your tattoo scarred? Like where the tattooist put the needle in too far? Some of mine where they've been done too deep decide they're gonna be scratty some times?

Have you got allergies? Not to the ink etc, because you'd of known about it by now. I have pretty bad environmental allergies and I sometimes get a little swelly and gross. And it affects my arms and such, usually when my allergies are acting up. It might be a reaction to allergens that get in sweat and then react with the ink in a weird way. Is it just the lining? Or the colours.

Have you been bitten? Either on or close by to the tattoo? That could be causing it to be all manky and itchy. Bites are nasty at the best of times.

Have you been sick? Like poorly sick? Because some people get a little rash and/or scabby on there tattoos when they're about to be sick/ are sick?

Whatever it is. Please don't scratch at it.

Your best bet is to probably go back to the place you got tattooed, or a local parlour and have them take a look. I'm sure they will give you some advice, if they have any.

I have 5 and I've never had any of them scab up after the initial healing period. Think I would also suggest that it may be the sun - I've always been told to use sunblock or at least a factor 50 over any tatooed areas. If you're concrned then a quick trip back to where it was done would certainly be worthwhile, just to get it checked :) xx

Ooohhh all of this is great! I didnt realise most of this! The sun part most of all! I'm working out in the sun all day every day so i can understand that affecting my tattoo!

Thanks for all the ideas too! I will try them all out in turn and see what one works best for me!

It's so odd! I was seriously freaking out wondering why the hell it was starting to be such a bitch after such a long time!

MissBrownEyes92 wrote:

Ooohhh all of this is great! I didnt realise most of this! The sun part most of all! I'm working out in the sun all day every day so i can understand that affecting my tattoo!

Thanks for all the ideas too! I will try them all out in turn and see what one works best for me!

It's so odd! I was seriously freaking out wondering why the hell it was starting to be such a bitch after such a long time!

Or last but not least, your tattoo no longer wants to be your friend. That's a possibility ; )

Have you spent a lot of time in the sun/had direct sunlight on it?

If it's a dark tattoo and you've been in the sun, it can irritate it/make it swell. I'm prone to prickly heat where I'm tattooed more than elsewhere because the ink absorbs the heat. You may have unknowingly scratched it in your sleep where it's been irritated which has caused it to scab and flare. 

As with any open skin, clean it with salt water or an anticeptic like Savlon and keep it clean and dry. Wear factor 50 sun cream on tattoos whenever you can. 

If it's still swollen/scabby in a couple of weeks, it's worth having a chat with your GP.

Have you spent a lot of time in the sun/had direct sunlight on it?

If it's a dark tattoo and you've been in the sun, it can irritate it/make it swell. I prone to prickly heat where I'm tattooed more than elsewhere because the ink absorbs the heat. You may have unknowingly scratched it in your sleep where it's been irritated which has caused it to scab and flare. 

As with any open skin, clean it with salt water or an anticeptic like Savlon and keep it clean and dry. Wear factor 50 sun cream on tattoos whenever you can. 

If it's still swollen/scabby in a couple of weeks, it's worth having a chat with your GP.

Just a side note to the advice on here from others...

If the skin is broken, do NOT use oils or Tattoo Goo on it. Your body is water based, not oil based, so it's never recommended that you put oil anywhere near an open wound. 

(tbh, I would never use Tattoo Goo anyway - it's terrible stuff)

Also - www.bodyjewelleryshop.com has a fantasic body-modding forum. It's mostly piercing based, but there's some great general advice on there for all mods.

BME (Body Modification Enzine) is another brilliant site. 

Lovehoney - Jess wrote:

Just a side note to the advice on here from others...

If the skin is broken, do NOT use oils or Tattoo Goo on it. Your body is water based, not oil based, so it's never recommended that you put oil anywhere near an open wound.

(tbh, I would never use Tattoo Goo anyway - it's terrible stuff)

Also - www.bodyjewelleryshop.com has a fantasic body-modding forum. It's mostly piercing based, but there's some great general advice on there for all mods.

BME (Body Modification Enzine) is another brilliant site.

+1, Body Jewellery Shop is a great website :)