Women's ability to orgasm just from penetrative sex (no toys or oral)

hornster wrote:

My wife orgasms during sex providing I've gone down on her first. I don't think I've ever known her orgasm through penetrative sex alone.

H

I wouldn't want to give the impression that we don't indulge in lots of foreplay because we do and I'm sure it's essential (I have never experimented with missing it out!)

I have only ever orgasmed by clitoral stimulation but I have very nearly cum by my OH stimulating my G-spot with his fingers. Hopefully I will get to experience a pure g-spot orgasm soon

Gyrator53 wrote:

hornster wrote:

My wife orgasms during sex providing I've gone down on her first. I don't think I've ever known her orgasm through penetrative sex alone.

H

I wouldn't want to give the impression that we don't indulge in lots of foreplay because we do and I'm sure it's essential (I have never experimented with missing it out!)

I don't think it came across that you mightn't - in fact it never crossed my mind.

We have odd habits in that we either almost exclusively have only "foreplay" as sex, or penetrative sex without foreplay.

For some reason we rarely do the two together - which is odd I guess. I've felt close to orgasm during penetration and I think I may be able to one day in the future but I'm not pressuring myself for the time being.

I'm a strong believer in doing what works for you - and experimenting with other things but not worrying too much about the outcome! Playing mind games on yourself is the quickest way to destroy a healthy appetite for sex in my experience!

Though I'm realising much of what I've said here is neither relevant to your post nor this thread....I'm having a bad pain and fatigue day - everything is a bit brain foggy right now and I can't explain why I've detailed what I have but I guess it'll have to do and be posted.

Adx

I have written a big post on my blog about this, if anyone is interested:

http://masquerademinx.wordpress.com/2011/06/20/can-women-orgasm-through-penetration-alone/

I enjoy the penatration, but it just is not enough to make me orgasm.I think my g-spot is even less sensitive than my clit, so I don´t think I will ever be able to orgasm during intercourse without clit stimulation. But I am not bothered about it. Was harder for my OH at first, but now we are both happy.

This post is no longer available.

[devils advocate]

I think this is an interesting topic on so many levels. From an evolutionary perspective it is hard to see how a structure such as the clitoris could have evolved if it overwhelmingly failed to serve its purpose - namely to provide pleasure in (and thus enticement to) copulation. However, perhaps a too accessible female orgasm is evolutionarily undesirable in producing satiation before impregnation! Perhaps this is the origin of the fine balance we have.

Then, of course, we then have the whole social issue with at least western history being dominated by the sexual repression of the Judeo-Christian religions proscribing almost all sexual pleasure and the female orgasm in particular. So, at least until very recent times, women will have been obliged to suppress their sexual pleasure and this must surely dominate almost all historical information. (Paradoxically, Queen Victoria who gave the name to perhaps the most repressed period seems herself to have enjoyed sex a lot!)

Now we have the interesting situation that many women will learn to orgasm before indulging in penetrative sex and in many cases will do so with very effective toys. Perhaps this is a provocative suggestion (especially here!) but to what extent might this influence a woman's ability to reach an orgasm by penetration alone? It is, I understand, accepted that men can desensitise themselves by heavy-handed masturbation to the point where they are unable to orgasm through PIV sex though the female equivalent is, it seems, always vigorously denied though on what scientific evidence I know not.

[/devils advocate]

I have to admit I did not head about the desensitise issue on men before, but here are some my thoughts: Well, I dont think the fact that woman learn to orgams first by clitoral stimulation (and often only hand and oral stimulation) have much influence on the ability of women to orgams from penetration. To be honest, my first orgasm was only few months ago, meaning some time after my first sexual activity. So I definitely dont fit the bill learn to orgasm first by using toys before penatrative sex. Yet I cannot orgasm through penatration. To be honest, penatration can be not completely comfortable for me at times, because I am very tight and it can be painful! (My first time was really really bad alone and it was not my partners fault either). And if my partner starts to hit my cervix, I am in severe discomfort - I just hate it to the point I can loose interest in the act itself. I dont think this is a case of only me, but other women. Also a friend told me it took her several years since she started sexual life until she could reach orgasm through penetration, until then only toys or oral sex did the trick. I think generally female sexuality develops more slowly. I also heard that childbirth can make sex more enjoyable for a woman, because she is not so tight so it is not painful for her (e.g. my mom admited this and I also came across women on discussions saying this was the case fot them).

Gyrator53 wrote:

I think this is an interesting topic on so many levels. From an evolutionary perspective it is hard to see how a structure such as the clitoris could have evolved if it overwhelmingly failed to serve its purpose - namely to provide pleasure in (and thus enticement to) copulation. However, perhaps a too accessible female orgasm is evolutionarily undesirable in producing satiation before impregnation! Perhaps this is the origin of the fine balance we have.

But the fact is, that most women cannot orgasm through penatration only (does not mean we dont enjoy it!). We do enjoy it, it brings us to connection with our partner. There are other mechanism to ensure the copulation, including the mentioned connection, or even the desire to please the other!

I think you are also forgetting one major difference between men and women, female sexuality is a different from male, because we dont have to orgams for the next generation to be conceived, meaning we generally often find it harder to orgasm. Also the G-spot is not generally easily reached during intercourse and in many women it may not be sensitive enough to make the woman orgasm. Also every female has differently sensitive clitoris, or nipples.

Gyrator53 wrote:

Now we have the interesting situation that many women will learn to orgasm before indulging in penetrative sex and in many cases will do so with very effective toys. Perhaps this is a provocative suggestion (especially here!) but to what extent might this influence a woman's ability to reach an orgasm by penetration alone? It is, I understand, accepted that men can desensitise themselves by heavy-handed masturbation to the point where they are unable to orgasm through PIV sex though the female equivalent is, it seems, always vigorously denied though on what scientific evidence I know not.

I've never really thought about this before; I almost always orgasm through penetrative sex, but before I started having sex I rarely, if ever, masterbated. I certainly had never orgasmed. It's certainly an interesting theory.

There's a point near my cervix that feels amazing, can only access it in certain positions, and only found it a couple of times. Much further down than the G spot though.

GingerConcubine wrote:

Gyrator53 wrote:

I've never really thought about this before; I almost always orgasm through penetrative sex, but before I started having sex I rarely, if ever, masterbated. I certainly had never orgasmed. It's certainly an interesting theory.

There's a point near my cervix that feels amazing, can only access it in certain positions, and only found it a couple of times. Much further down than the G spot though.

I understand that there is a mechanism whereby semen impinging on an area near the cervix triggers contractions. My wife says that this is something she is very aware of. She seems to be able to tell very readily if I have had an orgasm that hasn't been very, er, productive.

I wonder if the area you are describing is in some way related to this sensitivity.

An interesting link on the topic here:-

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17165-six-things-science-has-revealed-about-the-female-orgasm.html

Hella: well, we dont know when our genitalia evolved into this shape, because organic tissues just dont survive in most environments. Ice does preserve it (unlikely to happen in Africa), bogs do the trick as well, but also unlikely. The funny fact is, we dont even know how many species of our ancestors were there! Why? Well, we do not know anything about sexual dimorphism, and it is possible, that some specimens we consider different species, can actually be the same, but male and female. There is a lot we dont know.

Also a presence of a feature does not necessarily mean the feature was the same as it is today. There is a lot we dont know.

I am sorry, I was away for postgraduate research placing interview.

I never read anything on animal sexuality, unfortunately with the amount I have to read for my studies I dont have time to even read normal book 99% of the time. But I would be interested in how functional the clitoris actually is and how much stimulation it receives. Also wondering if I did not come accross comment that some apes do it face to face at time.

Laveila wrote:

I am sorry, I was away for postgraduate research placing interview.

I never read anything on animal sexuality, unfortunately with the amount I have to read for my studies I dont have time to even read normal book 99% of the time. But I would be interested in how functional the clitoris actually is and how much stimulation it receives. Also wondering if I did not come accross comment that some apes do it face to face at time.

There are three references here:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missionary_position

that suggest bonobos, gorillas, and armadillos use face-to-face positions.

hmmmm sorry guys to bring up this thread again, but i was wondering if there is a way to have a sort of poll system on lovehoney , cos i wanted to know about orgasms n how frequently they are..

i saw somewhere on tv that 80% of woman orgasm through clitoral, but only 20% can orgasm through penetration..

would be nice to see some LH statistics!!

I don't find penetration physically pleasing at all-which is not to say that I don't enjoy it. I love it and crave it, but purely for the intimacy rather than physical pleasure. My orgasms are 100% clitoral (never found the g-spot!). So I love oral sex and clitoral toys (which makes solo play far more convinient!).

As I understand it, it depends on a lady's anatomical arrangement as to whether she feels more sensitive internally or externally. The "g-spot" is supposedly the internal part of the clitoris, so depending on whether you have more on the inside or the outside will determine what stimulates you. (Perhaps this matches up to whether you are a "hill" or a "valley"?).

As I don't feel anything positive from penetration (sensation-wise), to use toys internally is very uncomfortable. However my clitoral orgasms are fantastic! ;). Rabbit vibe all the way, just pushing that pesky shaft aside.

I decided not to open a new topic on the same subject, so I am going to use this one instead.

I have a really DUMB question - what a female orgasm feels like? Both clitoral and internal.

Yes, I am a female, however stimulating my clitoris, I usually end up not being to stand it anymore and I stop (and I don't consider the end feeling pleasant - not at all - it is rather uncomfortable). Internally, I do have some pleasant feelings, but that's all. Am I doing something wrong?

Im not an expert in womens sensations but Mrs G rarely reaches a climax through penetration, however if i bring her to a climax with clitoral stimulation then enter the orgasm chages from clitoral to vaginal, once she has a clitoral orgasm the clitoris becomes very sensitive and a no go area.

we harldy ever discuss what we do its just what ive noticed.

I've never orgasmed through penetrative sex with my previous parteners. With my OH now however, I have had sensations that I've never felt before. I still haven't orgasmed penetratively, but each time I can feel myself getting closer and closer and closer to it. I think I think about it too much because it fades out and never tips over the edge. He even says he knows when I'm getting close because he can feel me contract. I don't think it'll be long before I'm experiencing my first g-spot orgasm though! I always thought I either had a really unsensitive g-spot or it was nonexistant, but apparently I was wrong! Everyones bodies are different though, as this thread shows so everyones going to respond differently.

I can orgasm from penetration alone, but its not as strong/same feeling as clitoral stimulation. I've only been able to manage this with my current OH though.