A Technical Experiment

Hi all,

I’m hoping you could all help me out by telling me which of the following two photos you can see.

• I can’t see any pictures
  • I can only see the Mini Wand
  • I can only see the Rabbit
  • I can see both fine

0 voters

If you can’t see both pictures could you please tell me what device your using and which browser you’re using. I just want to get an idea of how my people can’t see pictures that aren’t. jpeg as they’re proving tedious to produce since a phone update.

Many thanks!

2 Likes

If your struggling, screenshotting the product page and then cropping the image is my go to. Ive been struggling to get images off the product pages with my safari/ipad conbo since the update.

1 Like

Ooh great idea, I just did a little test and that does produce a .jpeg :+1:

…although so far people seem to be okay with both file formats. Downloading and uploading pictures from the site they are all .webp which I think some devices or browsers struggle with but your suggestion is a definite work around. Thanks.

1 Like

No worries. Ive tried doing it the other way, but it too much of a phaff on this device. Screenshot + crop is much simpler on a mobile device

1 Like

There’s likely to be image switcharoo magic with a fallback in the web pages (guessing, as I’ve never visited the site on desktop); .webp for browsers that can handle it, and .jpeg for browsers that can’t.
So, if you copy/save the .webp version, others might not be able to view it when you repost. The screen capture workaround probably saves as .jpeg which all folks can see.

Nice tip @Green_Eyed_Girl :+1:

2 Likes

Yep, I think this is the clever work around I’ll take. I used to always just post .webp’s as they seemed to be fine and I never realised there was a problem, it was the only way I could post images using Samsung Internet but @PKH couldn’t see them and I assume others have a similar problem. I just wanted to get a feel for who could and who couldn’t. I switched to using Chrome and that meant I could do the copy and paste images thing which produced .jpeg images but my phone did an update a couple of days ago and it seems to have messed up the pasting part on Chrome. I can still post the images elsewhere but the forum will no longer let me :woman_facepalming:t2:.

2 Likes

On my iPhone (safari) and iPad (safari) I could see both, but on my MacBook (safari) I can only see the wand, but I have yet to do a software update which will likely fix the problem on my end (I think I’m on the Mojave operating system version 10 when there’s Monterey version 12 available) I just haven’t had a period of time yet that I can leave my laptop to update for several hours as I’m on my laptop all day every day… :see_no_evil:

1 Like

iPad Safari with the latest iOS

1 Like

I have gone with @Green_Eyed_Girl 's screenshot option for today’s DOTD (thank you) and will do so for products in other threads but given that I hate having the Deal of the Day logo in the picture (minor OCD kicking in there, sorry) I think until I can get the copy and paste thing working again in Chrome I will revert to .webp images as it seems nearly everyone is okay with them. Apologies @PKH :see_no_evil:.

3 Likes

No worries. I might just update my operating system overnight tonight and then maybe I’ll be able to see the .webp images :grin::+1:

2 Likes

Ooh, if you do, let me know if it works! Thanks :blush:

1 Like

I can see both photos now :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::+1:

3 Likes

Hooray!!! :grin: