A-Z Musical Trivia Bands and Artists

OASIS…

The name Oasis was Liams idea inspired by a poster on the bedroom wall he shared with his brother Noel…it was an Inspiral Carpets tour poster and one of the venues was the Oasis leisure centre in Swindon.

Police-Sting’s I want my MTV on Dire Straits Money For Nothing is to the tune of Don’t Stand So Close To Me.

P.S. i visited The Oasis in Swindon for a Karate contest when i was at school and spent most of my time in the pool!

QUEEN…

Genesis spotted Taylor’s talents before he joined Queen…but he turned them down.
Good drummers are hard to find.

Ratt-Their album Out Of The Cellar featured Tawnt Kitaen on the sleeve, she later found fame in 1980’s Whitesnake videos famously writhing on the bonnet of a Jag and married David Coverdale.

SIOUXSIE AND THE BANSHEES…

Their song “HAPPY HOUSE” says…

“We’ve come to scream in the happy house / We’re in a dream in the happy house / We’re all quite sane”.

Siouxsie said it was a go at the media…television…adverts…for showing the “perfect” family that doesn’t exist.

(Still happening now…even moreso…Jilly)

1 Like

Travelling Wilbury’s-The second album is called Volume 3, there was no Volume 2.

UNDERTONES…

Their single “Jimmy Jimmy” had an equally fab “B” side called “MARS BARS” well worth a listen and the lyrics are great.

1 Like

I agree!

Van Halen Originally called Mammoth

WONDERSTUFF…

Their single “WELCOME TO THE CHEAP SEATS” features backing vocals by Kirsty MacColl.

Xenomorph-named after the Alien race in Alien.

YAZOO…

Their debut Album “UPSTAIRS AT ERIC’S” title came about quite simply because it was recorded at producer Eric Radcliffe’s house…yep upstairs.

1 Like

ZZ Top-The song I Wouldn’t Touch It With A Ten Foot Pole was written after Billy Gibbons thought he saw Bigfoot.

ABBA…

Swedish tax laws meant that they got a tax benefit for their outrageous outfits. The cost could be deducted against tax but ONLY if deemed outrageous enough that they weren’t for everyday use.

(Must admit I’ve worn more outrageous for everyday use…:crazy_face:)

Boney M-Nightflight To Venus, the song samples the drum beat from Cozy Powell’s Dance With The Devil.

(The) CULT…

“SHE SELLS SANCTUARY”…was the last song to feature drummer Nigel Preston…he was fired and replaced by Big Countrys drummer Mark Brzezicki.
The song features in films “The Honors” 1992 and “Layer Cake” 2004

1 Like

Dio-Ronnie Dio sang for Rainbow, Black Sabbath and his own band Dio. He was also the lead singer on the single Love Is All from The Butterfly Ball album.

ECHO AND THE BUNNYMEN…

The original line up had just 3 members…Ian McCulloch…Will Sargeant…and Les Pattison…

And a drum machine called “ECHO”

When “ECHO” was replaced with drummer Pete de Freitas in 1979 they leapt into the charts soon after with their album “CROCODILES” which spurred them on to achieve more mainstream success

Fish-his actual name is Derek William Dick

GWEN STEFANI…

Her elder brother Eric set up the band “NO DOUBT”…playing keyboards and asked Gwen to sing backing vocals in 1986.
She became lead singer after the original lead singer John Spence committed suicide.

Gwen was chosen as one of the top shoe designers to use her expertise to redesign Dorothy’s ruby red shoes from the classic film “The Wizard of Oz” to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the film in July 2008.

Heavy Pettin’-They were being touted as the Scottish answer to Def Leppard but they entered a song in Eurovision and it killed their career.