Adverts

Just watch channels without adverts or make a drink or use the loo when they are on?

There is not an advert ever made that doesn’t detract from what what you are trying to watch (Love Island and Big Brother perhaps being the exception).

Even worse, the car ads with the (brief) caption that says “Specification shown not available in the UK.”) :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I hate the ones in which some tax-evading mega-bucks cesspit of corporate evil tells you all about its charideee work/how well it treats its employees, or the petro-chemical giant that all of a sudden wants us to know how passionately it’s striving to save the planet. Yeah right.

2 Likes

Current irritation is the one that i think is a raffle to win a house worth a couple of million. It’s says at least 100 grand goes to The Prince’s Trust but doesn’t say how much the company running it makes, or your odds of winning.

2 Likes

There are literally no free channels without some form of advert. I get what you mean and i mute adverts a lot of the time and you’re right that adverts don’t detract that much. However, there’s nothing wrong with wanting to rant a little about adverts since it’s virtually impossible to avoid them all and ranting is cathartic

3 Likes

True, i record most of what i watch, but sometimes during live tv you can’t avoid them!

1 Like

The Idahoan mash potato advert from the US. It’s instant mash potatoes lol UK has had it for years, why is yours any better? :joy:

Such a song and dance because people are too lazy to peel potatoes anymore.

1 Like

I do try to avoid the ads by recording stuff so I can fast forward but sometimes it’s not possible to do that and there’s only so many toilet breaks or cups of tea that can be made in the duration of a programme or film! This is where the mute button comes in handy :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeah, you’re right @Ace12345 I find a minor rant quite cathartic!

2 Likes

The mute button was no good for that annoying ad that was flogging second hand cars in silence! I kept thinking the tv had switched off!

1 Like

I know the one you mean! I thought something had gone wrong with the tv! :joy:

1 Like

Wasn’t sure if it was regional! It’s that good an advert that i can never remember the name of the company! :rofl:

1 Like

I guess there are the three BBC channels although of course they now repeatedly do self promotion of upcoming programs.

Also a lot of the commercial channels have zero/almost no adverts in the early hours or (depending on the program) when you stream them - presumably because they couldn’t find anyone to pay for the time.

Also, has anyone ever bought anything because of an advert on TV?

The only one that have ever made me buy was years ago when Curry’s advertised a Chromecast device £10 cheaper than it was available everywhere else. As I had been looking to buy one anyway it was a no-brainer, they changed the price within days back to what everyone else was charging.

So, what advert made you buy something?

1 Like
2 Likes

I’ve actually timed the bbc self adverts and they’re longer than the commercial ones on some channels :joy: you are right though there are usually less adverts really late/early though the few you tend to see are interesting (i think that’s actually the 1st time i heard about lovehoney)

I know what you mean with the advert being annoying, i googled the company once and now literally half my youtube adverts are for it. The odds aren’t great but it’s meant to be similar to the lottery basically i think, it’s just a different format to what we’re really used to (i think the company is more well known in America and have only recently started operating in the UK). I think your odds vary depending on how many people enter. The only major difference to something like the euromillions is that someone definitely will win the house, whereas with lotterys you get lots of rollovers where no one wins

1 Like

At the moment I can’t think of a single thing I’ve ever bought because of an advert on TV. I’ll keeping thinking, there must be something! :thinking:

1 Like

Not even the fluffy humping rabbits?

1 Like

Well, maybe the fluffy rabbits have influenced me subconsciously :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Revitive Medic the vibrating foot thingy that Ian Botham and Eamon and Ruth flog! Very annoying advert for something that seems like snake oil to me!

1 Like