Anyone interested in a toy swap thread??

Have just noticed that there seems to be a little disharmony going on in the adopt a toy thread relating to the fact that some of us with grab bag items that 'arent our thing' are wanting to swap for items other people may have recieved that werent there thing either.

Thought it might be a good idea to start a 'swap a toy' thread instead of putting them on 'adopt a toy'?

If this is against any love honey rules then I apologise in advance but just wondered what other peoples thought were on this?? its like I have some lower end items that I wouldnt mind putting on adopt a toy but also have a higher end item that I dont really like the idea of having to give away if you know what I mean??

(Needless to say.. =P) I'm in! I'll wait to see if this is a widely accepted/viable option before posting what I've got.

see this

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/sex-toys/259228-adopt-a-toy-part-3/

already up and running, read the first post before posting I think it explains how it works

boobaloo wrote:

see this

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/sex-toys/259228-adopt-a-toy-part-3/

already up and running, read the first post before posting I think it explains how it works

Sorry if this is not what you where thinking of but I dont see how there is much difference, you could always email someone and suggest a swap for one of their items on the adopt a toy thread if you wanted to

People do swap things in the Adopt a Toy thread. This can be arranged between members over email once they've seen a toy they like in the Adopt thread.

Adx

It seems like the "Adopt a Toy" section is primarily focused on giving toys away, though (correct me if I'm wrong?). Assuming my statement has got some basis, it might be a good idea to have a separate section for items members would strictly like to trade (mainly from grab bags, I would assume). A thread like this might attract higher-end items than the "Adopt a Toy" section currently does (again, assuming that it's mostly used for giving things away), making trades more mutually beneficial.

I didn't initially assume that the "Adopt a Toy" section was primarily for giving things away rather than trading, but my effort to trade there didn't go very smoothly - which is why I think maybe a distinction might have merit. Anyway, though, obviously I'm relatively new to the forum side of LoveHoney (though not new to LH) - let me know if I'm out of line.

If you read the rules of adopt a toy you will see, people buy you a wishlist item in return to cover the cost of postage plus a little bit extra so you're not giving it away and getting nothing in return.

We have had this debate many times before, it was never intended to compensate someone fully for the cost of an item that they didnt pay that value for, if that makes sense?

For example, if you got a toy worth £30 in your grab bag, in reality as the grab bag was £25 it has cost you say £5 assuming 5 items in a bag, so wishlist some lower value items which the person adopting can buy means you are not financially out of pocket but you haven't profited either.

As Alicia has said if people wish to swap then am sure that can be arranged via email to the person who has the item listed in adopt a toy.

It is giving away unwanted things. But you can arrange to swap if you see something you like. Basically the only big no nos are asking for pricey wishlist items in return. If you choose to accept a wishlist item the person receiving your toy picks something cheap from your wishlist just to cover p&p. But you can swap instead of doing a wishlist item. You need to add your items to the list and if someone contacts you via email or chat you can arrange the details with them.

Or you can contact people who have an item on the list you like and offer to swap.

Swaps are fine - the issue is when people seem to be trying to make money by "auctioning" off their items to the person willing to spend the most on the wishlist gift. That's obviously very against the nature. But swapping is ok.

Adx

If value is your main concern you can of course decide you only want to adopt a toy out in return for another item. Having two threads is likely to make things confusing too.

I agree with what your saying nadia its not often that high end toys go on the adoption thread so a separate thread for the higher end toys which people would like to swap rather than give away would seem to me to be a good idea.......?

I think it's possible, as WandA has said to state in the adopt a toy thread that you are only interested in a swap, just make a note by the item in the list, two threads means confusion and perhaps remembering to update two threads....

I still say, if you didnt pay the high price for it, surely getting something that you will use, regardless of its value, is better than holding on to a higher value toy and never using it? But perhaps I'm missing the point?

High end stuff does go on the adoption thread, but it vanishes almost instantly, and is rare (since usually people getting high-end stuff want to hang onto it).

I think most of the aggro was because there was a surge of people just throwing random posts in without following the format (add your stuff to the already posted list and repost the whole thing so it stays up to date), which does imply not having even read the first post with all the rules/info. Doing that and then specifically trying to 'bagsy' items that have not yet been added - another act likely to get folks' backs up - is obviously going to push some people to say something.

I don't think there's so much an issue with you only wanting to swap your item for something else you want, even something very specific, but if you want to use the thread, you have to a) follow the format and re-post the list of stuff as updated instead of flinging a solo post into the works, and b) don't make posts pre-empting other people's offers. If you only want to trade for the item you want (a tulip I think?), then wait until someone posts that they're offering theirs, and mail them to see if they're interested in a straight trade. Or you can post your item as everyone else does, and just add a note that you only want to swap.

I agree with BB. It really helps to read the first post so you know how it all works.

Also, if there's anyone you wish to contact- Try and do that directly instead of posting in the thread as it can clog it up and also the person may not see it. There conatct info is usually in their profile. Hm,.. It may help to also link in their profiles besides the names..

Oh, also, the site can mess up the links so the linked item may not be what is stated on the list.

The adopt a thread was brought about for toys, be they cheap or expensive, to be rehomed and used as that wouldnt happen by their present owners. Its a nice feeling to know the items are going to be used rather than kept away in a draw gathering dust or chucked out. When it comes to grab a bags, its just one of those risks to take with spending money and just have to see what you get =S. Xxx

***Essay ahead.. sorry guys!***

I see what you're all saying, and I agree with most, if not all, of it. However, I think the point I've been trying to make has been sort of glossed over - probably due to my lack of clear explanation.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I feel there might be a better way for grab bag receivers (specifically) to trade their higher end items. In this situation, each trader would have paid a similarly low amount for whichever items they'd like to trade - so no one would "lose out," so to speak. If this were a trade between a grab bag purchaser and someone who purchased the high-end item independently, it would be a different story - as obviously one would have spent much more to participate in the transaction than the other.

Even in a situation where one person has bought the other a toy and the other is being sent one from a grab bag, though, it may be the case that the person who bought the other person a toy was desperate to get their hands on a discontinued item they may not otherwise have been able to acquire. Trading, in that sense, would even make LH more money, and both parties would still be better off. But, to keep things simple, I'll stick to two grab-baggers trading for the rest of my post.

Most grab bags seem to contain one (or even two) "luxury" items along with a few lower-end items. If two grab-baggers are trading items, it seems unlikely that one would want to trade their luxury item for a lower-end item of (likely) much lesser quality and durability. That's effectively what giving these items away in the Adopt a Toy thread amounts to. Given that the Adopt a Toy thread attracts almost solely low to mid range items, it also seems unlikely that higher end grab bag items will appear there for trades in the first place.

As grab bags are random, I'm sure there are quite a few grab bag holders who aren't that into the higher-end item(s) they've received, and might feel happier with the item someone else has received. If both parties in this situation don't see a better option than to post their items on the Adopt a Toy thread and maybe get postage back in return, it's not totally unlikely that neither will bother to post at all, deciding instead to keep their "luxury" item despite it not being very compatible with their tastes. This is a waste, and there's no real reason why both parties can't have what they want - a higher-end grab bag item that fits them like a glove. No one - including LoveHoney - loses anything by letting these people trade their items. Both trade partners are better off, and neither have been forced to resort to either giving their items away and reducing the overall utility of their grab bags or, (potentially) worse, letting the item gather dust whilst someone else does the same to an item they would much prefer instead.

If there are two people with higher end items they're not interested in using, but neither sees anything on the Adopt a Toy thread they're willing to trade for (which, with the current system, seems quite likely), surely we're better off if they're given a dedicated place to trade? As you can see, what I'm proposing doesn't really fit with the model of the Adopt a Toy thread, and it would probably be more confusing to shove them both together than to separate them. I've read around, and it seems like trading has got a few supporters - anyone for a separate thread?

I think you're overcomplicating things.

Most things that are up on the Adoption thread are from grab bags or items bought from other sites that they can't refund/exchange.

Those that have bought any high end items form Lh can easily use Lh's refund policy. Obviously you can't do that with grab bag items..

How it works in the Adoption thread is you contact a person if you're interested. You can then negotiate for a trade with that person outside the thread however you wish. That thread isn't just for WishList items it's for trades and exchanges too. You can easily specify in the thread that you wish to only trade etc.

Also, when they do have the option of grab bags- there's always an influx in high end products in the adoption thread. This includes trading those with other similar priced items. It's not a constant dilemma where people wish to trade luxury items.. So any additional thread will just go to waste.

Luxury items do tend to get snapped up early so that's why there's not many are up on the list already.

My thoughts are pretty much summed up by x X x.