Are you into manga and anime?

Since lockdown last year, I really got into manga and anime.

I’ve read and watched through a lot of genres so far, but especially like romance and slice of life manga and sports anime (which is funny because I don’t like watching sports in real life)… I love the “power of friendship” themes :fist_right: :fist_left: I’ve been listening to my favorite op’s on repeat :notes:

Do you have any new series on your watch or read list?
What are you currently reading or watching?
Do you have any all time favorites?

I love talking about anime and manga, but I don’t have a lot of friends who watch and read it, so if you do, please come talk to me about it :joy:

3 Likes

No, nope never watched any of it. I do however appreciate how popular it is and how big an industry it is.
Funny, I was watching a video on Japan and how the Maid cafe’s have become popular since the Olympics. For those that are unaware of such cafe’s it’s a cafe where you are served and entertained by some one dressed as an Anime character, no it’s not seedy or “Taboo” That said there is another side of Anime.

@PKH I do recall seeing posts on here by people into it, sure you will have some responses.

2 Likes

I’m a fan. Manga I would say my favourite genre is yaoi or 'boys love’s but I do also like others, I’ve been reading ms. Koizumi loves ramen. Anime I tend towards slice of life and also anything food related although my biggest love was Yuri on Ice and I did enjoy Free a lot. I occasionally like magical girl anime but I would say my least favourite genre is mecca. I’ve just started watching My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! and it seems pretty good, I’ve heard good things. Oh Give was another I enjoyed a lot.

2 Likes

Midnight sonata, bleach, tarot cafe, full metal alchemist (good as manga and anime). A ton of others.I have very eclectic taste. Got into studio ghibli as a teen and was hooked. Keep watching “your name” at the moment, just love everything about it.

3 Likes

Yes! I love Porco Rosso, Spirited Away and Howl’s Moving Castle :heart_eyes: At the time though, I didn’t know there was other anime besides studio ghibli, so I only the past year have been watching a ton :joy:

Yay! I’ve never met anyone who had seen Free! :laughing: I love it and all my swim boys :heart_eyes:

Do you like Food Wars?

Is this Given?

2 Likes

You should check it out sometime when you’re bored and have nothing else to do! There are a ton of different genres :+1:

1 Like

I have started 10 count but still working through it, not heard of the other two but will definitely check them out.

I enjoyed the very first series of Food Wars but tailed off from it.

Yes I meant Given :joy: autocorrect thought it knew better!

I thought Free! was a pretty well known and popular anime, perhaps I overestimated it’s reach.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s pretty funny, but it’s kinda out there… It does make me hungry :joy:

Did you watch the movie that came out after the series?

Sadly i never enjoy howls moving castle as much as i could as i read the book before ever seeing the anime and really love it. Puts the film in the shade for me.
Spirited away is one of my favourites, also princess mononoke, totoro, kiki’s delivery service. Basically theyve done so much good stuff.

3 Likes

That totally makes sense… I haven’t read the book :grimacing:

I also really liked Whisper of the Heart. It’s pretty cheesy since they’re in middle school, but it’s cute :slightly_smiling_face:

Agree the book is definitely better. I have the next one to read but haven’t started it yet.

1 Like

Yes I did see the movie, enjoyed it a lot, it was good to get more of the other guys stories.

1 Like

The music in the movie is really good :slight_smile:

My tops have been

Re Zero
Dragon Maid
Konosuba (seriously one of my absolute favorites, it’s SO funny)
Soul Eater
Toradora

I’m sure there are others but honestly I’m so bad with remembering names so it makes it difficult :joy:

1 Like

I haven’t seen those first ones, Toradora is hilarious :sweat_smile:

Me too, especially when the names are in Japanese :neutral_face:

Zero no Tsukaima is another good one that’s funny. Same voice actress as Taiga too :blush:

1 Like

@SpookyB I’ll have to check it out :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

This seasons anime has got some really good ones best of all are

Remake our life (if your going to watch any watch this-don’t look it up just watch no spoilers)
Peach boy Riverside (it’s a Momotaro the Japanese ‘folk story’ but badass)

Some good ones from last season

Oddtaxi (again don’t look it up it sort of ruins it)
Tokyo revengers (really lived up to my expectations from the manga)
I spent 300 years killing slime and maxed out my level ( if you like to just turn off your brain and watch something wholesome and comfy this is it, not much story but very cute nonthe less

All time favourites

Redline (movie by mad House it is about an EPIC race with a love story built in, the descriptions don’t really do it justice, I have literally watched this more than 20 times and still can’t stop watching, amazing soundtrack and visuals, a true masterpiece of there ever was one watch the first 10 minutes and you won’t stop although it does lose steam a little while building the story it gets serious hype going in the second half)

Sakurasou no pet na kanojo (the pet girl of sakura-sou, great visuals nice story, lovely characters and very wholesome, slice of life? , I rewatch it every year - it is a condition I swear-)

Steins;Gate ( very popular so you will probably know of it, Sci Fi/ time travel again another I rewatch all the time great soundtrack the Dub is an absolute bomb and I can’t say enough good things about it)
I would also recommend watching Chaos;Head and Robotics;Notes as well, chaos;head isn’t all that great but Robotics;Notes is a sort of side story of Steins;Gate and adds to the experience if you manage to retain the names and things like that

One more that is a MUST WATCH is
California crisis
its an OVA from 1988 the soundtrack will literally kill you it is so good, the visuals aren’t all that great and to be honest neither is the story but it is not too long, best place to find it is Youtube

I Havent read many manga but I have read most of nisekoi and enjoyed that but couldn’t tell you anything about it
Devilman was also a good read but hard to find and very gore filled

Hope this gives you something new to watch
Bottom line watch Redline (it is available on YouTube)
Damn I really sound like I’m trying to sell this movie huh lol

1 Like

Wow! @ManyWords99 :astonished:

I haven’t seen any of these except for Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo :joy: It’s funny, my husband literally has a spreadsheet of anime we want to watch and of ongoing ones so that we won’t forget about them, so I’ll be giving him a list of new ones to add :ok_hand:

I saw the trailer for Tokyo Revengers on youtube and thought it looked cool, then saw it had a long manga, so I want to read a bit of that first before I start the anime - really glad to hear it lived up to your expectations :+1: I’m excited!

1 Like

I had a phase where I enjoyed studio Ghibli films but some of them were very upsetting and graphic which didn’t mind the gore so much but the sad parts were very gloomy lol

1 Like