Are you into manga and anime?

@AJSTAR Yeah, the sad parts will get to you! For me, I can’t really handle the gory stuff :hushed:

I had a week that I read several tragedy mangas in a row, and I thought I could handle them… I cried soo much that week. I’d be eating lunch or doing dishes, and I’d remember something from it and start crying :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Yeah I’m similar too when it comes to some of tragic stories like Pom Poko which played on my mind for weeks after seeing it :see_no_evil:

1 Like

I’ve with you on this, I avoid ones that I think are going to have an especially emotional theme, I have still been caught out though, I’m not particularly sensitive but anime writers seem to be very good at playing on the feels.

2 Likes

Has anyone watched SK8? Doesn’t seem to be on Crunchyroll so not sure where it can be streamed but I’ve heard good things

1 Like

My friend introduced me to Heaven Official’s Blessing on Netflix, and following that various things like Word of Honor and The Untamed.
I believe several of those are based off Chinese e-novels which have been fan-translated into English.
Edit These are sorta BL storylines.

1 Like

It’s on Funimation and YouTube. I liked it, there were some predictable parts, but the characters are fun :+1:

Deathnote is my favourite anime, closely followed by Slayers.

Favourite manga in my teens was the .hack series, but I haven’t read manga in a long time!

1 Like

I haven’t watched any Chinese anime yet, but I’ve read some Chinese manhua that was pretty good. Is Heaven Official’s Blessing good? I just recently saw some clips of it on YouTube :slightly_smiling_face:

I thought it was awesome. I really liked the artistic style for a start, I’m a nerd for historically-set Chinese things anyway, and the protagonist was brilliant.
The Netflix series isnt very long so although I havent started reading the manhua myself yet I’d say check that out for sure!

1 Like

I had some really weird nightmares when we were watching this :fearful: but my husband enjoyed it :sweat_smile:

I didn’t know this had a manga series. We were going to watch some of the anime, but then we got mixed up about if there was a proper order to watch, so it’s still on our watchlist :slight_smile:

1 Like

I didn’t know it had an anime series! I will have to search it now!

I don’t blame you for the nightmares, but this is my kind of bag, love the question of justice and bringing in Shinigami and mythology!

1 Like

@WelshDragonette Another good anime that was a suspenseful thriller was Erased, not as mature feeling as Deathnote, but it definitely has serious elements in it :scream: now that I’m typing this, I think I had some nightmares after watching Erased too… Apparently I’m easily influenced by suspense :roll_eyes:

I like Studio Ghibli but never got into any other anime.

My favourite Ghibli films are probably:

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Only Yesterday
Arrietty
From Up on Poppy Hill
The Wind Rises
When Marnie was There

I like the themes of nostalgia, childhood, rural life, and historical settings, with or without a fantasy/ supernatural element…

Any recommendations for films/series I might enjoy?

2 Likes

Those are all good ones! You’d probably like Whisper of the Heart (film). There isn’t really any fantasy element in it, but you can sometimes see into the girl’s imagination when she’s writing stories. Our Love Has Always Been 10 Centimeters Apart is a good coming of age style one. This one’s a 6 episode series, and then there are 2- one hour movies that continue the story (I’ve Always Liked You and The Moment You Fall in Love). I’m not crazy about high school setting ones where the characters are perpetually in high school or don’t have any character development as the show goes on, but if it’s a good coming of age or romance or comedy, then I’m happy :slight_smile:

Barakamon (12 episode series) is pretty good rural life one set on an island. Your Name (film) is another good one that is partially in a rural setting with really pretty scenic art and has a bit of fantasy element.

:grimacing: I don’t have any historical set recommendations, but @Turtles recommended the historical/fantasy series Heaven Official’s Blessing :+1:

Hell yes! and I’ve noticed many tackle current issues on deforestation and stuff even if it’s being told through a bleak fantasy world.

1 Like

My favourite is Bleach. I remember when it came out when I was a young teen watching it with my first bf! Feel like the ending wasn’t as good as it could have been though…

I couldn’t get in to Full metal alchemist, or Naruto.

Loved School days and Toradoro.

1 Like

I know what you mean :slightly_smiling_face: :+1: My husband has been playing a video game called Celeste where the main character deals with anxiety and low self esteem and has panic attacks. The creators wanted to make a game that was based around mental health with the main character trying to face their flaws and learning to take care of themself while going on an adventure :mountain::woman_climbing:

1 Like

@A_C19 I haven’t seen Bleach, Fullmetal Alchemist, or Naruto… Since I only recently started watching anime, I feel like I ought to watch some older anime that are considered classics, but there are definitely some that I don’t think I could get into :thinking: I’ve had Fairy Tail and The Prince of Tennis on my list to get to eventually…

If you liked Toradoro, you’d probably like My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU :laughing:

Wow that’s quite deep storyline for a game to have, has he enjoyed playing it?

1 Like

Yeah, he likes it. He’s been at the end part for the last couple of days and needs to just sit down and finish it because I want to see the ending :joy: I’m not a gamer at all, but I like watching when he plays games :relieved: It’s side scrolling run and jump like Super Mario, and the story is told through the dialogue between characters. It’s a cute game and has a lot of little witty funny parts, and the soundtrack is pretty good too :video_game: :+1:

1 Like