Battery v Rechargeable

After swopping to rechargeable toys quite early on I don't know if I've misjudged how powerful battery toys can be. I've tried googling it, but I've yet to find a satisfying answer. What are everyone's experiences of the differences between them? Am I ignoring a whole section of perfectly powerful toys for no good reason?

I always thought once the rechargeable toys came out it was a game changer but all the 1000s of pounds I've spent on toys the two toys that are used the most in our bedroom have a little 'N' battery and I have to relpace them every 2weeks.. crazy.

I need power and in my experience I think I have only ever had one toy (clit stimulation) that has done the job. Although like you I haven't bought any battery toys for some time, but I've only been using toys for about 2 years and can't imagine the battery toys have improved THAT much in that time. There is of course the environmental (and financial) cost of non rechargeable batteries. I'll mostly stick to rechargeable toys.

Ive just ordered my first couple rechargeable options to compare against the battery operated as was wondering if would affect the power levels.

I went straight in for rechargeable toys. My reasoning was once I had brought the toy that's that no need to keep buying batteries which would end up costing more than a rechargeable toy at the end of the day and also it's more friendly for the environment. That said I do have a couple of battery powered toys (love eggs and mini bullets) and they are pretty damn good.

It’s more of a frequency difference I think. Battery operated toys tend to have a higher frequency and more surface level “buzzy” vibrations than their rechargeable friends. It’s not always the case but I’d estimate that at least eighty percent of the toys that can be recharged in my collection are stronger than those that take batteries.

Personally we buy whatever suits our needs, rechargeable toys tend to be waterproof more often and save a shed load of money in batteries. I don’t feel you get anymore power out of a battery operated toy than a rechargeable battery as they both tend to use the same amount of juice to run the motors inside a vibrator. mains powered toys are the top tier in vibration and power, I would just say to neve be put off buying an item because it requires batteries.

NatandTom wrote:

It’s more of a frequency difference I think. Battery operated toys tend to have a higher frequency and more surface level “buzzy” vibrations than their rechargeable friends. It’s not always the case but I’d estimate that at least eighty percent of the toys that can be recharged in my collection are stronger than those that take batteries.

I've noticed the difference in the frequencies but I wasn't sure if this was a power thing or a design choice as I know different people have different preferences. I've actually got more battery toys than I thought but a lot of them are unusual or basic so I can't really do a good side-by-side comparison.

Does anyone have a brilliant battery toy that they would recommend? Something that could go toe-to-toe with a decent rechargeable one?

Rechargables, it goes without saying, save money and time charging up batteries (or buying them). I love the rechargable toys I have.

I find it most convenient to plug into USB when the computer is already turned on.

I think it also depends on the toy though (as others have mentioned on here). Mini vibrators can be just as powerful with decent, fully charged batteries in them.

My vote would be for rechargeable toys though as I also find them classy and sexy.

They are quick to charge and last long enough for a good session. Rechargable toys in my experience are usually waterproof and made to a better quality with gorgeous, sensual materials i.e. silicone! x

'Mr Chimp', I would also love to know if there is a battery powered vibe that comes close to a rechargeable vibe with regards to power and performance!! 😊

Personally I wouldn’t overlook a toy just because it was battery operated. I do consider myself a power queen but the toy sitting next to my bed right now (and that has been there a while) is a ABS, 2 x AAA battery powered, large bullet. No it isn’t the most powerful toy in my collection but it the right amount of power so that I do orgasm, that it doesn’t take ages to achieve the orgasm but that it is also not over in a few minutes. I like a mix of types of toy and types of power source in my collection.

kelly_michelle wrote:

Personally I wouldn’t overlook a toy just because it was battery operated. I do consider myself a power queen but the toy sitting next to my bed right now (and that has been there a while) is a ABS, 2 x AAA battery powered, large bullet. No it isn’t the most powerful toy in my collection but it the right amount of power so that I do orgasm, that it doesn’t take ages to achieve the orgasm but that it is also not over in a few minutes. I like a mix of types of toy and types of power source in my collection.

For this we'd use one of our rechargeable toys but on a lower setting rather than get a similar toy but battery-powered. I suppose it could be useful if you really need to limit yourself away from temptation. 🙂

LIL_KNOWN69 wrote:

Personally we buy whatever suits our needs, rechargeable toys tend to be waterproof more often and save a shed load of money in batteries. I don’t feel you get anymore power out of a battery operated toy than a rechargeable battery as they both tend to use the same amount of juice to run the motors inside a vibrator. mains powered toys are the top tier in vibration and power, I would just say to neve be put off buying an item because it requires batteries.

From the toys that we've had I've noticed that rechargeables do seem more powerful, though I may have just picked some sub-par battery ones. I'd be interested to know what everyone's most powerful/favourite battery toy is so I can pick a couple up and check them out.

Ian Chimp wrote:

NatandTom wrote:

I've noticed the difference in the frequencies but I wasn't sure if this was a power thing or a design choice as I know different people have different preferences. I've actually got more battery toys than I thought but a lot of them are unusual or basic so I can't really do a good side-by-side comparison.

Does anyone have a brilliant battery toy that they would recommend? Something that could go toe-to-toe with a decent rechargeable one?

It could be either of those things as some rechargeable toys also have buzzier vibrations, although I think they tend to be stronger in power overall. I haven't found any clitoral toys that could beat out a rechargeable although there are some pretty decent classic/rabbit style vibes around.

I think this one https://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=33567 for example is stronger than the Lelo Liv 2. The Liv was extremely weak in comparison and for the price, I'd rather recommend the Power Play! I also liked the battery G-Spot Rabbit from this line.

I've added them both to a wishlist and I'll keep an eye out for the next time they've got a chunky discount. 🙂

Interestingly the first one is 3xAAA, but the g-spot one is 2xAAA. I have confused myself reading about voltage and current, but I think more batteries equals more power (though a lot depends on what they're powering). The pressure-sensitive scoop one I got the other week was 3xAAA but that was disappointingly weak. I think those pretty outer shells hide a trove of secrets underneath. 🙂

Fantastic info. I wonder if app controlled toys would be as powerful or reliable etc as rechargeable on own with remotes

My favourite clit vibe uses two AAA batteries, and it can take rechargeable ones! For me that's the best of both worlds, because the big problem with rechargeable toys (i. e. no batteries to take out) is that you MUST use them regularly or the battery will die (I killed two mobile phone batteries and a Swan Wand before I realized, thanks to the user manual of my e-bike). And once the battery is dead, the toy is dead (unlike my bike...)

The big advantage of rechargeable toys is that most of the interesting toys just seem to be built that way nowadays, and with Fun Factory vibes I have seen much stronger vibrations in the rechargeable one (as opposed to the battery operated one - btw, Fun Factory battery toys are all made to accept rechargeable batteries).

Talia wrote:

For me that's the best of both worlds, because the big problem with rechargeable toys (i. e. no batteries to take out) is that you MUST use them regularly or the battery will die

Excellent point. I've just done an inventory and put some on to charge. Thanks for the reminder. 🙂👍

Ah didn't realise if don't use regular the battery dies

Cb1987 wrote:

Ah didn't realise if don't use regular the battery dies

Not necessarily 'use them' use them, but these type of batteries don't like to get all the way flat as they then can't take any charge. So it's good practice to dust them off every few months and plug them in just to stop them from completely discharging.

Hmm.. that's a good question.

I find that it depends on the toy. I've had battery toys that are just as or even more powerful than rechargeable ones but I've also had rechargeable ones that are woefully weak.

I mainly look for rechargeable ones now because batteries are a pain and they can quickly add up in price (especially if you have a power gobbler).