careers.

I think I need to decide what it is I want and get earning more and become more stable?

Im stuck on what it is I want or how to do it..i didnt complete school due to health, school/college never did suit me.. im better now with responsibilitys im just stuck :)

What made your career choices or have u made any changes?

Ooh I understand your predicament! I never finished uni due to illness, so my chosen career path as a Geneticist is out of the question unless I ever get well enough to return. I've been doing care work for the last 3 years (only part time) just because I enjoy looking after people and doing something rewarding, although I find it very strenuous and the pay is terrible.

What sorts of things do you enjoy doing? Would you consider re-training or going back in to education?

As school n education never really suited me I found it hard etc im usure id ever do that althoughi need to something to get grades even if its a course :)

I enjoy various things ... nails, animals, but im unsure if I could make it work :)

could you maybe do a bit of voluntary work along these lines just for experience to see if it suits?

steevo68 wrote:

could you maybe do a bit of voluntary work along these lines just for experience to see if it suits?

Ive looked at all the local vacancies in my town but there's no suitable things and all say require so many qualifications or experience :(

I changed my mind a lot, when I was studying to get into uni, I was aiming for Virology then changed my mind to Journalism, because of this change I was rejected the first time I applied to uni so had to study another year, I went for Social Science & Journalism..........I changed my mind again to Sound Engineering, after a frantic phonecall to the university administration office, crying and pleading with them to change my application.

I see it you should do something you are passionate about as it will be your life for many years, something you love, will never tire of and feel comfortable doing. Experience is key, get as much as you can to see how you cope & if you enjoy it, you'll find something, it takes time, try not to put so much pressure on trying to find what you want as it will cloud your judgement. I hope this helps x

My own problems were probably similar to you ladies in that I suffered health problems( ear problems) and required 4 operations. It finally got sorted out in the year 2000 but prior to this I suffered a bout of depression as a result of all the operations . However because of this this denied me furthering my 6th form education and then to uni as many of my peers went. They are all doing far better than me so I guess because of that reason I never kept in touch with any of them .

I decided to try a career in a Bank which was going fine until we got took over by another bank and then it went all wrong for me and left in 2006 after 26 years service .I am currently working as an Operations Manager in my brothers electical contractors company which is far less stressful.

The only plus thing out of the bank is the pension of which I am elgible to take in just under 3 years time . However I have decided to carry on until I am 60 of which then the pension will be enough to retire on . Well me anyway perhaps not the Mrs. I don't intend to be one of the growing number of people who work well into their 70s as I wish to enjoy a lengthy retirement.

If i was you Sassy and I presume you are still young , I would consider a modern apprenticship . Yes the money isn't very good at the beginning but as you progress it will get better. The initial sacrifice will be well worth it in the long run as really you don't want to end up in a dead end job with most of your life ahead of you.

sassykitten;) wrote:

As school n education never really suited me I found it hard etc im usure id ever do that althoughi need to something to get grades even if its a course :)

I enjoy various things ... nails, animals, but im unsure if I could make it work :)

Have you tried your local animal shelters? They are usually looking for people to help them. I remember a sign up at one of our local ones saying "You don't need degrees to walk a dog you don't need two legs or arms to help out here all help is much needed p.s a donation can help too"

I thought it was good but they said it often worked.

Thanks for the replys, id consider trying the shelters but unfortunately atm im not driving which id have to be as our local shelter isnt near a bus route, hopefully that should be sorted soon and this will help with my choices, , im young yes mysteron, atm im doing equine groom services although work is choppy and that I have a few stable days which I work, I cant afford to let that go and only bring in apprenticship wage.

I suffered health problems and came out of schooling with only 2 GCSE'S and couldn't get a job so decided to set up my own business selling personalised gifts.

However saying this i would love to work at Bentle Motors but with having no experience in the motor trade or any qualifications I can pretty much rule it out unfortunately!!! :(.

I hope you manage to go down a career path you really enjoy on a decent wage as well.

Thank you jay/rach :)

I started by looking at jobs you don't need a degree for! Nothing worse than getting your hopes up for something that is near on impossible without certain qualifications. I never fancied going to uni for various reasons.

I started working full time straight out of college in an insurance call centre just to start getting some money behind me whilst I figured out which direction I wanted to go in. Then after watching a few too many cop programmes I ought I'd join the police. I started in their call centre and quickly felt the need to get out and about so opted for the role of a support officer. I'm loving it. It's great and the police have soooooooo many different departments and career opera unities I can easily change roles!

Good luck and most important of all (even more so than money) is that you enjoy your job.

Never Know is so right its the job enjoyment which is far more important than the money you need to want to get up to go to work I know it was easier in the past to get a job I left school on a friday and was working monday untill I retired 13 years ago at 55 which is also very hard to do now my children think they will have to work until they reach retirement age

Yeah it is hard to find jobs its so disheartening when you go online and it says nvq, gcse, qualifications needed! Or they say you need at least 1 years experience how do they think we are going to get this experience if they wont hire anyone without any, what happened to allowing people a trail to see if they pick it up????

Im so pissed off with reading it all online....

Yeah jobs in the animal sector are weirdly hard to come by, I have an extended diploma in animal management going to waste, they still want a years’ experience even in little shelters and I've worked with lions and rhinos! Its easy to get disheartened, if you can afford it most of these places will employ you after you work as a volunteer or 'apprentice' for a while. It sucks because not everyone can live on little to no wage.

Admin is worth a look, as you can come in at entry level with no qualifications and work your way up to all sorts of things and its quite diverse (almost all companies will have an admin team), but its still a boring desk job at the end of the day. My ex dropped out of college got a desk job and has gone from job to job with the Admin feild and is now very well trained and earning a small fortune.

I dont think id cope with a desk job lol, I much prefer doing things

I chose random A levels based on what I enjoyed and went on to study Economics at uni becasue I enjoyed it at A level.

went to uni and hated the course and the whole idea of studying and all i wanted to do was work. Eventually finished uni and started a business with a (ex) friend and I thought that was it now - this is my life going forward.

4 years in, I was in a mess with that business and spent a few years there being screwed over. Eventually I left and went to India so had a lot of time to think things through and learn a lot there.

Came back and now studying to be a black cab driver in London! So competely no career path at all!

Same story with my bro - studied pyschology at uni, then became a personal trainer/sports therapist. Then bought some properties and became a landlord and then studied to be a black cab driver too and is now driving as i type!

For me the decision became less of 'what do i enjoy doing?' but rather can can I do that allows me to do the things I enjoy. With driving a cab I will be totally my own boss and work my own hours. Which means (when I have kids) I can see the grow, go to sports days etc and take time off whenver I want for holidays and days out in the Summer hols etc.

How about a traineship? or apprentiship? They sometimes keep you on even if you fail the course but are good at the job. A lot of council and NHS jobs also do not require qualifications, its just a matter of working your way up and doing all of the mini courses you can. Thats what i did before i went to uni

X

Ive been looking on the internet for local jobs and thing but unfortunately ive not yet found a suitable placement not even a trainee position. I cant afford apprenticship wage I have a lot of responsibilitys and pay check lower in whivh im earning there is no way in earth I could cope x

Something youcould try is a part time vocational course, like Nail Tech or Animal Care or Cake Dec at a college. You can usually get funding for them, and the hours are often low enough that you can still work in whatever dead-end you're currently in.
It's very different to 'normal' education, and if you're on a course with other adults you tend to get along better. I did Cake Dec and I was with a bunch of mums doing something whils their kids were at uni, a baker who actually had a plan, and a bunch of hobbyists. It's very different and tends to suit a lot better.

Also, free online courses, like FutureLearn. If you don't get on with them it doesn't matter, but if you do you can gain Uni-provided knowledge that can support applications very well, whether that's into a job or college or Uni.

A tip for jobs, is apply even if you don't have what they're asking for. The worst they can do is say no, but you might still get an interview.

Secondly, supermarkets. Its not glamourous, but a lot of them have very good progression programmes so you can get from being a till lady to management with just in-work training. Some even offer uni places to their workers that are progressing well as part of their schemes.
Retail is kinda similar too. People are in and out of those jobs all the time, so if you're willing to stick at it you can get to be a supervisor or a store manager in a few years.