Custom Forum Badges

Sorry, I didn’t mean to put you on the spot. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m not sure when they’ll get round to Custom Badges (I think it may be the tech team that needs to do it? But I’m still not sure how they divvy the jobs up :slightly_smiling_face:)

There was also some talk of maybe changing the Basic/Member/Regular badges/levels to something more Lovehoney, but I’m not sure if that’s something they still want to do?

2 Likes

Question… do the special trophies for use of words get added together for a new badge or appear on your profile anywhere?

Noticed @MyDeviantVirtue got one for regular use of strap-ons :clap::clap::clap:, is this a new thing?

(Apologies @MyDeviantVirtue my language is for comedy effect, I do not mean any insinuations and hope not to have caused any offence!)

1 Like

I think I have found what you’re talking about. :slightly_smiling_face:

I'm too Sexy for my Town? - #53 by MyDeviantVirtue

That’s a Staff Message (it starts off with a blue background, but fades to white over time). It’s just Brenna mucking around. :slightly_smiling_face: It doesn’t get saved anywhere, and it’s not triggered automatically. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Sorry, should have put the link in :see_no_evil:

Assumed it was an automatic trigger - thought it was very clever :rofl:. Thanks for info and clarification!

2 Likes

Thinking about these styles of Custom Badges, as a lot of us have been here for awhile they’ll trigger almost immediately. :slightly_smiling_face: (edit: I’ve been looking in profile summaries, and I think that’d only apply to a handful of people maybe?depending on the threshold)

What do you reckon would be a good post number to have as a threshold? (for each category)

And would there be a :3rd_place_medal::2nd_place_medal::1st_place_medal: progression? That’d be 3 x 6 categories (not including Photos, Inside Lovehoney and Testers)

(edit: maybe skip bronze? Or just go straight to gold? Super big post count?)

That all sounds quite negative. :slightly_smiling_face: I don’t mean to piss on your cornflakes, I’m just working it through. :+1:

1 Like

I do not mind you pissing on my cornflakes! :rofl:

To be perfectly honest I just liked the idea of a badge called “Player”.

Realistically, it would be tricky, I’ve just had a look at a few stats. Comparing just yourself, @WillC (because I sense him as the most involved regular contributor on the forum - hope you don’t mind Will) and myself as a lesser contributor but still fairly frequent we have:

@Ian_Chimp @WillC @Peitho
Games 823 6215 681
Sex Tips and Talk 1095 977 100
Introduce Yourself 595 225 103
Off Topic Chat 1164 3759 470

I’ve picked these 4 as potential bronze badges:

Player - Games, very tricky to assign a number as obviously regular word gamers will already have loads but to encourage newbies maybe a 500 bronze badge and yes, a lot of us will already have this but it still seems quite high when you first join. I think the Quiz, Missing Vowels and a couple of others I use a lot but am still only a little over the 500 target.
Guru or Font of Knowledge - Sex Tips and Talk, obviously you and Will are high but I think a lot of the rest of us aren’t, maybe 500 again?
Inclusive - Introduce Yourself, few less here as generally it’s one post per new forum member so maybe 250?
Social Butterfly - Off Topic Chat, maybe 1000? Again a lot of people would have this already including the two of you but it’s a big target for newcomers, I’m not half way yet but them I’m also not really a Social Butterfly :woman_shrugging:t2:

I just like the idea of these badges but accept they’re tricky to put numbers on. Don’t think you need Silver and Gold. Save them for more important things but cute badges to collect (and maybe display?) for middling contributors.

4 Likes

I don’t mind at all. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’ve had a research and the ‘x posts in y category’ trigger style is definitely do-able. :+1: So it’s worth mocking them up/speccing them out and seeing where we land. :slightly_smiling_face: I can’t guarantee they’ll be made, but if we do a bit of legwork it might grease the wheels a bit?

I think these should be aimed at mid-level engagement (so a handful of people will get them instantly, but having it high enough for them would mean it would be unattainable for everyone else).

And you’ve not included Sex Toys or Lingerie? Is that deliberate?

3 Likes

Looking at those stats i don’t know wether to be proud or ashamed! :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve got a bit lost in the numbers, but one did stand out so far. @wildflower has nearly 2500 posts in #introduce-yourself. Even if that’s not one post per new person that’s still going to be a serious amount of people you’ve welcomed to these hallowed halls. :slightly_smiling_face::+1::1st_place_medal:

And @Onlyones has over 1000. :1st_place_medal:

3 Likes

Can we call the Intro one ‘All Aboard!’?

2 Likes

I did think they could maybe be included in the Sex Tips and Talk category with maybe an up of required numbers as they would probably be covered by the Guru/Font of Knowledge badge and too many badges might be overkill?

I agree aiming at mid level would be best and yes, you and a few others might already have them all but I don’t think that’s a problem.

Wow - didn’t anticipate that… how?! :joy: Serioudly impressed @wildflower - friendliest welcomer to new members! :clap:

This seems a lot of work but if you’re up for it, fabulous!!! :smiley:

Most definitely - that’s much better, I couldn’t think of a good name for that one but thought it a good friendly member thing to include.

1 Like

I’m sure I will get shot down for this but I really need to say it.

This is all getting a bit much. I’m not anti badges, but it is starting to feel like both being ranked as to how important you are to the community and some sort of data collection exercise.

Imagine some of the above are added, one person joins in with the game section and posts 1000 times but another replies to 5 advice request posts giving genuinely helpful advice. Who is the “better” member? In truth, neither is better, but one will have a badge and one will not.

“Post x replies in y category” type badges will also be very easy to achieve without actually contributing positively. It will simply result in quantity over quality in posts (eg “I can’t help but someone else will be able to” or “you’ve had great replies here”). This already happens with the “like stuff” badges. Also, it doesn’t take into account what is good advice. If someone wanted beginners anal advice, I could reply suggesting inserting a bullet vibrator. It’s horrifically bad advice, but would still count towards me earning a badge. (And if you are wondering why I chose that example, I’ve seen it recently in a review)

I fully appreciate no one is required to participate in getting badges and when the badges are things that are achievable by pretty much anyone however they want to use the forum, that’s fine. But when they become more and more targeted, it starts to get exclusionary (and a bit too “military” which is a little ironic).

There has been a lot less chat about sexual happiness lately (although it is starting to increase again) and it does seem like there have been a fair amount of people either contributing less or stopping altogether lately. I’m not saying this is anyone’s fault as there will always be these sorts of ebbs and flows, but maybe we could let some dust settle and let people get comfortable before adding more achievements and side quests.

Just how I feel.

5 Likes

Its all just a bit of fun, something for people to aim for or just a random little reward for taking part. Theres the levels which are more to promote being active and weed out a few miscreants who might abuse the forum but apart from that they dont really change anything

1 Like

Absolutely fair point, I wouldn’t want it just being used in a way that filled up advice topics with irrelevant comments.

Personally I tend to only post if I think my response is helpful to the advice being sought but I see your point that if just being used for badge seeking that wouldn’t be good.

Basically I just want some funnier badges that we can pop below profile pictures if so desired :woman_shrugging:t2:. I think it would work well for the games category as it might encourage new members to join in with some but can see it could be problamatic in advice threads.

1 Like

All views welcome. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

The Badges are meant as a bit of fun, so hopefully nobody would get all Johnny Big Balls about one. :slightly_smiling_face: But they could be made with really low thresholds so they’re super easy to get. They could be triggered automatically at the same time you get promoted to TL2 as a level perk. Then you get something like 5 extra Titles to use, as well as being able to upload photos.

That way you could get the extra Titles in, but without encouraging spam, or creating a ranking system.

And the Badge names/Titles could be made more general so they didn’t seem like brags.

Would that help?

1 Like

No!!! I need my level 3!!! Lol

Honestly, no. Why does triggering them at TL2 stop spam? If they automatically trigger (ie not having to complete some sort of requirement), then they are just titles and therefore should be a separate thing to the badges (which is fine) but if they have a requirement to achieve, then my point still stands.

The Titles are all Badge Names, so you can’t have one without the other. And they need to be triggered automatically by the system. They could be given straight away, but as the TL2 and TL3 levels are baked in TL2 seemed like a logical place to ‘unlock’ them (it only takes about 15 visits).

I meant spam as in filler posts added to boost for badges.

1 Like

Yes thank you, I understand how the system works. I also understood what you meant by spam. My point was that being TL2 doesn’t stop people posting filler posts. Being TL2 means you’ve joined in with the forum and therefore (hopefully) understand the rules but there isn’t a rule about filler posts (nor should there be).

My opinion is what it is. I’m sure Lovehoney will do what they feel is best for the forum.