Dic Rambone dildo ....chemical smell???

Hi all, I bought my wife a Dic Rambone by Doc Johnson products. Its quite a weapon and brings BIG pleasure to my wife. Unfortunately it has this perfume/chemical smell to it and taste that is offensive. We have washed it in the dishwasher (top shelf) at least 15 times and have washed it by hand with antibacterial soap but the smell still lingers.

Will it ever stop smelling? Is there a way to wash that will illiminate the smell/taste?

If this is the one you're talking about:

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=6372

then it's made of rubber, and rubber can sometimes seriously smell. I wrote about a similar problem in another review:

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=2889&reviewid=4983#customer_reviews

I think the only thing you can do is write a review clearly describing the offensive smell, and then bin the dildo. Unfortunate, I know, but those smells really do persist, as you have found.

Hold your nose - you wont smell it !! or catch a cold !! same difference!! (Just in case you can't bear to bin it !!)

TB

I tried a similar process on my rubber dildo using baking soda. All that happened was that the dildo got dusty and the baking soda got smelly. Also, prolonged exposure to any kind of heat at all, even a warm room, made my rubber dildo sort of melt and go tacky in a really vile way.

I tried airing it out too, for several weeks, next to an open window (in summer). This also made no significant difference, except to stink up the room around the window.

Seriously, I felt that this horrible rubber smell was impossible to get rid of. I tried for six months. Everything I tried just got more stuff smelly, and the dildo reeked just as strongly as ever afterwards. I got rid of it nearly 2 years ago, and some of my stuff still stinks of it.

I don't buy rubber or "jelly" dildos anymore for those reasons. I find that there are plenty of lovely silicone and vinyl ones which smell just fine and are less sensitive to their surrounding conditions. I don't know why anybody even makes them anymore. In my experience, that smell is impossible!

I agree it's horrid. Used to be even worse when dildos had phthalates in them. When did you buy your dildo lvo? It may not be phthalate free so the smell will be even worse. I have one with phthalates and it's truly horrid but still I good toy. I use it with condoms over it but have to live with a smelly bedside cabinet. Suggest locking it away somewhere when not in use or binning it. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Heheh Carly. :)

In my (uninformed, unscientific) opinion, I don't think it's possible to eradicate that smell. I believe that the process of making the rubber, in addition to the process of making toys out of the rubber, results in that smell because of the chemicals which must remain within the rubber after the toy is made. I think that if the chemicals causing the smell were to be removed, the rubber would in all likelihood be unsuitable material for toyhood.

Essentially what I think I'm saying is that I believe that the smells are an integral part of the material used to make those toys, and if they were gone, the toy would be too. I mean, think about it - if that smell were eradicable, why isn't it? If the smell had to be there in every toy material, why don't they all stink like that? And if the smell didn't have to be in the rubber, how come so very many rubber jelly toys have this problem?

I think this problem is specific to rubber, and cannot be rectified unless another, less smelly, and human safe process is found to make rubber into toys. Since they haven't, that's why I stick to vinyl and silicone (and glass, and plastic, and... and... and....). ;)

Hmmm interesting. I do have some soft toys jelly like ones which don't smell, but perhaps that's because it's a different type of chemicals used. It's certainly much better now LH have eradicated the phthalates.

The ones you have might not be rubber, Imelda.

I avoid jelly as well as rubber because sometimes jelly is used as a synonym for rubber, and sometimes it isn't. And sometimes it's gelatine, and sometimes it's jam. So I just don't trust descriptions which use the term "jelly", because there's no toy material I know of, in which "jelly" is a unique name describing a unique material.

Hmm, I hope that somewhere there are a bunch of people sat in a lab trying to create a product like febreeze, but safe for insideybits. That would be very, very cool. If extremely unlikely.

Well, woven fabrics are porous, and do not themselves have much of a smell. Rubber isn't all that porous, and the smell comes from inside where a surface treatment such as febreeze can't reach. So I'm not sure how a product like that could work.

And Carly, I am absolutely delighted to have given somebody a strong enough laugh to have them nearly spit water and imagine lunch made entirely from dildos. :p

Result!! :) :)

IVO, I know what you mean, Me & Mrs Duck got this great vibrator which really ticked every box & was the perfect size. It was perfect for DP & Mrs Duck used to nearly balck out with pleasure! The problem was the smell, It was fine when in use, we just covered it in flavoured lube. BUT... You could actually smell it down stairs from it's drawer it was that strong!!!!!!! It smelled like wacky backy!!! We even had comments from visitors. We tried everything to get rid of the smell but unfortunately Mrs Duck 'dispatched' it with her usual ruthless effieciency! Nothing has ever filled the gap (I don't mean Mrs Dusks Wahzoo!)!!!

Dildo condoms !!!!

Tallboy

Thansk for all the responses! It said it was made of Silagel on the packaging, description here...... http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=6372

It has been living in a well vetilated cupboard in the bathrom as I did not want it in the "tool box" with the other toys ;-). When I have ran it through the diswasher for a few cycles during the day it tends to smell a lot less for the next few days. In fact it smells way better now then when we first got it. I decided to experiment a little more and now its living in the deep freezer for a week or so to see if that has any effect!!!

Just though I would update you all on the SMELL of good old dickrambone..........he still reaks! No matter what we did he still smells foul. I have replced him with the largest Falcon super cock available...not quite as big but NO smell or taste! My wife is very happy now as she already had one Falcon supercock and now she has 2.

Glad to hear of a woman liking a falcon super cock. They are made for either gender, but they seem to be marketed to males by the look of the boxes.

This is a continuing problem with toy manufacturers. They keep saying that their toys are harmless and "non-toxic" but the same materials are banned from being used in children's toys. You can read my article on the Smelly Toys at http://theboxofshame.blogspot.com.

I wish I had noticed this post before I bought this product!

Dont get me wrong, its an amazing toy, but I can still smell it even though its been rapped in two polly bags, a bin bag, and stuck inside a gym bag!! The room absolutely reeks!

Woah I was going to suggest a thorough washing but if its that bad I recommend a bin for it. Not worth the smell. Contact LH see if they'll do anything about it.

Any recommendations as to which toy could replace this?

Similar length and girth preferred :D

JayDawg wrote:

Any recommendations as to which toy could replace this?

Similar length and girth preferred :D

they will take it back if you don't like it