Dress -Are guys getting too casual ?

Went to the restaraunt last night and quite frankly I looked over dressed .The women though the vast majority we smart and  many wore dresses but their partners appeared to be wearing their everyday scruffs .

I know I could have dressed down once I was there but didn't want to spoil it for the Mrs .

What do you guys think?

What are we talking here, jeans, shirt and shoes and you were in a suit? I wear smart casual and I think that's the way modern society is going. Suits and such for special occasions weddings, christening a etc. If we didn't move with the times we would all still be wearing flat caps all day long. Plus nothing is that exclusive anymore that you have to fit in to get in.

I was in smart casual .Most of the guys were wearing well faded jeans T shirts and trainers.Whilst their women folk were dressed smart.

Dressed like that some wouldn't have been allowed in some of the town centre pubs on a Friday/ Saturday night.

Maybe that is the new trend 

Yeah pubs and club dress codes went a long time ago. Only exclusive clubs really still have some form of dress code. I do however agree that smart casual on an evening out especially if your oh is looking so smart. Shame on those guys.

I think your absolutely right on the money with this.

It does appear to be a trend with guys to simply not make efforts with these things.

I've noticed for years how women make efforts and guts don't. Even to the point where exes of mine have told me I'm overdressed for wearing shoes and smart jeans.

I totally agree with you guys after all it doesn't take much effort to put on a pair of newish jeans , perhaps with a casual long sleeved shirt or polo shirt. I think it lowers the tone of the place as well .

I'm usually one of the underdressed women... Don't really own fancy clothes/jewellery/heels so in comparison to others I must look pretty casual when we go out, although I do try and make myself look smart somehow. It also depends where we're going, last time we went to a Chinese buffet all of the women were dressed up like they were hitting the clubs, tiny dresses and massive heels etc., and I was like hell no I'm wearing my buffet trousers! 😮

I'm not really bothered if my OH dresses up or not as I'd rather we were both comfortable than fashionable, and I know that he hates wearing smart clothes as he lives in shorts and a t shirt all year round. He does make an effort though if we're going somewhere nice, as do I :)

I think you dress how you wanna dress and they dress how they wanna dress and the restaurant polices those who are dressed inappropriately for their policy.
Whilst people watching is indeed great fun, am sure looking into the OHs eyes would have been time better spent.

Could be the gap between mens and womans fashion showing. Those couples where the male was under dressed and the female was over dressed, they could both simply be wearing the latest fashion. Take a walk through the fashion store DV8 and you'll see exactly this; the woman's section is full of dresses, blazers, belts to nip in the waist, smart shoes and handbags, shapely jeans and smart, glitzy tops...while the mens is faded jeans, faded t-shirts, band/logo tops, the occasional slouchy jumper, used look trainers etc. If you both bought your date outfits from that one store, hell yeah the woman is going to look over dressed compared to that, and yet both have made the same effort to keep up with the latest fashions. If that makes sense haha. It's not necessarily that the men didn't make an effort.

Dressing up to go to a restaurant isn't really a thing for the younger generations now either, even on an occasion like Valentines. It's prefereable to stick with something 'cool' and fashionable, which leads to the divide I mentioned above. Smart casual is good, which I'm sure many of them thought they were pulling off. A full suit is a jump too far from the everyday fashion, more akin to wedding or funeral attire than date night.

Plus with the trend of multipurpose dates, like cinema, mini golf, meal all in one day/evening, you don't want to be doing that in a full suit :p

I do think they under dress. I always wear something smart, but usually I go out in one of my pretty frocks, petticoat and full makeup. I don't do it to look good for my boyfriend, but for myself. I usually always get compliments from strangers too. My OH doesn't really dress up that much, but that's ok. He will always wear his suit though when we go out for nice meals or occasions.

I'm nearly always overdressed going out. Sometimes I'm overdressed staying in, too ;) I don't do it for anyone but me because it makes me feel nice. I'd love to be with a man who also enjoys looking smart, but it's not the most important thing. I think you're right that most men don't seem to be interested in doing so.

Whenever my boyfriend & I go out for a meal to a nice restaraunt, we always dress smart casual. We don't do it often, so it's nice to dress up once in a while - I think it would ruin the mood a little if we went in our everyday clothes. For me it's not about being fashionable, comfort is important. It's so easy to find clothes that are smart & comfy, so I don't really understand why people don't make the effort.

At the end of the day, does it really matter what other people are wearing as long as you're happy with your own outfit? We don't all have the same taste in clothes, so for some what might be considered smart for them might not fit your standard, but it doesn't mean they haven't made an effort.

My partner loves to dress up smart where possible, but one thing to consider is that I think there's quite a lot of pressure on young men to fit in and not stand out. If you wear a t-shirt and jeans, no one's going to have a go at you in public because you're just like everyone else. Wearing anything different makes you a target - with nice strangers maybe it's a conversation starter, but for pubs, clubs or out on the street at night, it's unpleasant.

My partner loves to wear really smart steampunk type clothes - like he has a full tailcoat waistcoat that's like his favourite item of clothing, or ruffled collar shirts that look great, but often when we're going to go out, he'll just say that it's not worth the hassle because he doesn't want to get yelled at by other men while we're out. I can see what he means. It's a shame that he can't wear what he'd like to, but at the same time it's nice cutting out any conflict or confrontation from an evening.

We both went out for Valentines dressed in full retro outfits, and got lots of positive attention because we went to places that we knew would be accepting of it, but for going to a random place, we'd definitely dress down.

When we go out its nice to be smart casual. I tend to wear a jacket, shirt and chinos. Mind you, some of the youngsters, although they appear to be dressed down, wear VERY expensive jeans, T shirts and trainers. Much more than the standard Markies trousers ets. So, whose right? So long as people are clean, polite and cause no problem I really don't have an issue with it.

I'm with you!

I am a pretty casual dresser. I don't really care about clothes and I keep simple. So usually it's jeans, band tshirt, hoody if it's cold.

But when I go to a restaurant or we're out on a date on a saturday night, I'll put a shirt on and make sure my jeans are smart etc.

Went out Friday night for an early valentine's, to a very nice restaurant in town, and there were people there (at 9pm ) with small kids and parents dressed in cheap tshirts, one guy in tracksuit bottoms.....the worst was one guy who looked like he was in his 'lounging around playing games' outfit (combats, old tshirt, old hoody, but generally extra scruffy, ill fitting, looked like he shouldn't leave the house) out with a girl in heels, little black dress, full makeup etc. I wondered how he could sit there and not feel terrible. Essentially valentines, nice restaurant....it's a thai place and all the staff are very dressed up in traditional dress and the decor is stunning.

I just felt like the atmosphere was ruined a bit. there's plenty of places and times you can wear whatever you want but post restaurants on a friday night at least make a bit of an effort to look like you've not just rolled out of bed!

I always make an effort if we're going out as does my oh. We like to look nice for each other but each to their own I suppose x

I'm old school always overdressed but I would prefer to stick out like a sore thumb for being too dressy than a scruff, my OH wont wear a suit unless its the obligatory wedding/funeral haha but wears smarts trousers/shirt if he takes me out, he knows I find really sexy. Its my pet hate that dress codes no longer exist, I think they should be brought back. I find it weird I go to Mexico on holiday and have to adhere to dress code but went to west end theatre sat night, front row, had my best gown on and family next to me turned up in jeans and rustled their shopping bags under the seats all night !!!! Rant over

Lou72 wrote:

I'm old school always overdressed but I would prefer to stick out like a sore thumb for being too dressy than a scruff, my OH wont wear a suit unless its the obligatory wedding/funeral haha but wears smarts trousers/shirt if he takes me out, he knows I find really sexy. Its my pet hate that dress codes no longer exist, I think they should be brought back. I find it weird I go to Mexico on holiday and have to adhere to dress code but went to west end theatre sat night, front row, had my best gown on and family next to me turned up in jeans and rustled their shopping bags under the seats all night !!!! Rant over

I'm kind of with you on this one. Theatre is my sacred place, and dress code should be mandatory in such places! :)

era wrote:

Lou72 wrote:

I'm kind of with you on this one. Theatre is my sacred place, and dress code should be mandatory in such places! :)

I am 100% with you on this too for the theatre!