Electrostim wrist cuffs? Safety issue!

Browsing the cuffs and restraints, I found this item:

As we all know (and as stated on the product page itself), electrical stimulation should only be applied below the waist; crucially, current should never be passed across the chest.

These are wrist cuffs, folks. OK, the description of “beginner-friendly zings” suggests that the current provided by the control unit will be at the low end of the scale, but nevertheless, there’s no way that a wrist-to-wrist connection can be anything but “across the chest”.

I can’t help but feel that there’s an inherent safety issue in this product - or, at the very least, a serious case of mixed messages being delivered.

@Lovehoney_Brenna - I would like to flag this up for the attention of LH management.

5 Likes

Completely agree, unless your wrists are restrained below your waist or they’re used as ankle cuffs, these could cause issues for those new to electric stim play who aren’t aware :scream: Even in the product warnings it says don’t use above the waist, yet they are marketed as handcuffs :thinking:

1 Like

Actually, even if the wrists are restrained below waist level, it makes no difference. Unless short-circuited by skin contact to other body parts, the principal current path will be up one arm, across the chest and down the other arm.

1 Like

Sounds like a definite safety issue then and these should probably be taken off the site, or marketed as solely ankle cuffs :sweat_smile:

1 Like

ADDED NOTE: The only way that e-stim wrist cuffs could be safe to use is if each cuff was run off a separate isolated channel, so that current could not pass between the cuffs. However, this piece of kit looks far to simple for that, and the product image shows a single mini-jack plug with only two terminals.

1 Like

I remember seeing another e-stim product (might not be on LH though) that showed a woman with pads on her nipples and genitalia. On closer examination, it looks like the connections go from nipple to genitals, but the novice player might decide to go nipple-nipple, with potentially fatal results. There definitely needs to be more regulation in regards to these types of toys as they become more popular with mainstream lovers.

1 Like

I agree, theres alot of potential for accidents with something like that. Theres even metal external elements too so im not even sure where the current is intended to run through

3 Likes

Also as a thought, would having an electro zap on the wrists possibly on or close to a pulse line be even more dangerous?

On the flip side, is it any different from them zapper games people play where you put your hand on a controller and get a shock?!

It depends on how things are wired. If the positive and negative terminals are both within the same handle, the current only has to travel a very short distance through/across your hand - the shock is entirely localized. If one handle is the positive and the other the negative and you have to grab both handles to get the shock, then - like these cuffs - in order to complete its circuit the current must pass across the chest, so would be just as unsafe.

1 Like

Yikes so in that case yes I too think this item isn’t such a good idea or it should come with full warnings as people with heart conditions would be most at risk to such a toy like this…

They’ve been ‘out of stocked’, and currently don’t show up in Search either, so they’re probably looking into it. :+1:

2 Likes

I think just renaming them as ankle cuffs with a strict warning, but you can’t always rely on people to read them :thinking:

3 Likes

Are they big enough for ancles?

2 Likes

They look broadly similar to my own faux leather cuffs, and I find those a bit on the big side for my wrists and quite big enough for my ankles. :slightly_smiling_face:

This is in the product spec:

The cuffs adjust between 1.95-3.10 inches in diameter

15.5 to 24.7cm circumference (6 to 9.7 inches)

1 Like