Films that make you go WHOA!

Maybe not your favourite film ever.

But a film that took you by surprise.

A film that you champion, because your friends have not seen it. Maybe not even heard of it.

A film that affects you so much you have to tell others about it.

Mine is THE WICKER MAN. ( the original)

Can remember watching it aged about 7 on my little b&w portable tv in my bedroom.

The atmosphere building, waiting for the cavalry to arrive. (They never do) The strange feeling of doom.

A brilliant film.

I watch it today and get different things from it.

Life on Summerisle seems quite attractive. The only price being the sacrifice of the odd policeman?!

The Chaser - korean film - I havent seen the wicker man though.

Oldboy is another.

Agreed on the original The Wicker Man, love it.

I'll admit I struggled with this question as I'm a huge film geek, so I thought about the films that I've loaned out through the years than any others.

In the 90's it was probably Glengarry Glenn Ross. It's based on a stage play so don't expect anything in the way of action. It is however like watching an acting masterclass. Pacino, Lemmon, Ed Harris, Alec Baldwin, Kevin Spacey, Alan Arkin, Jonathan Pryce. Every time I watch it I seem to enjoy a different performance most.

In recent years it must be "Let the Right One In" which is a beautiful Swedish horror film which is equal parts horror, coming of age drama and romance. The inevitable American remake "Let Me In' is also worth a punt if subtitles aren't your thing.

Edit - The Chaser and Oldboy are also damn fine picks.

Scotty_McP wrote:

Right One In" which is a beautiful Swedish horror film which is equal parts horror, coming of age drama and romance. The inevitable American remake "Let Me In' is also worth a punt if subtitles aren't your thing.

Love that film in swedish of course. Some people do have issues with subtitles, never bothered me. In fact I prefer them sometimes, I seem to take in more of the film. Perhaps that means im not the worlds greatest listener!!

Oldboy, yes..absolutely amazing film. The other Korean film where the guy keeps his dead wife in a bathtub in the hope of curing her..hmm

Dee_licious333 wrote:

Love that film in swedish of course. Some people do have issues with subtitles, never bothered me. In fact I prefer them sometimes, I seem to take in more of the film. Perhaps that means im not the worlds greatest listener!!

Lol. I wonder if there's ever been a study to find out who actually is the world's greatest listener...

I used to be quite snobbish about remakes but having had enough time around friends who either had dyslexia or simply didn't like subs, I happily watch anything now. There is something more immersive about subtitles though. Demanding more concentration perhaps.

Juno got me by surprise, definitely. It was smarter and more sensible than I had expected and I liked the humour.

Popular Music is a movie I saw in a tiny alternative cinema. I had some good laughs and left with some melacholy - maybe because a part of my family is from a place close to Pajala and I was just getting to know this side of me again.

The Notebook reminded me to believe in love.

Knockin' on Heaven's Door blew me away when I was in my teens.

Gambit (1966)

Michael Caine and Shirley MacLaine

Highly recommend everyone seeing this brilliant movie before it gets wrecked by the remake starring Colin Firth and Cameron Diaz

I really enjoyed Let the right one in.

The vampire girl is recruiting another "minder".

Got it here, must watch it again.

Is the USA remake any good?

Betty Blue is another absolutely fantastic film. Quite a few years old now but stunning!!

"Let Me In" is very good. I watched it too close to the original though so while I could see that it was very well made it was all to familiar to me. I'd probably only recommend it to people who haven't seen the original and also have no intention of watching it.

This is the Korean film I was talking about:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0324242/

Part 3, "Going Home" is great

Is Sucker Punch the one on the boat?

Syd wrote:

If you say sucker punch made you go woah then you have poor taste in films haha. Naa just personally I felt it was a very weak film

Syd wrote:

Are you thinking of 'Donkey Punch'?

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

Awww. I'm not a big film watcher, but I like manga and japanese films, so maybe that is part why I liked it.

Watch Naruto Shippuden the movie, totally fricken awesome. And the Hellsing series

sub-kitten wrote:

Syd wrote:

Are you thinking of 'Donkey Punch'?

I am. Thank you.

I was flicking through Sky's film channels a couple of nights ago and came across the tail end of a film that choked me.

From what I could gather, there had been a nuclear war and the last country to be affected was Australia. Unfortunately, radiation poisioning had reached their shores and the people featured in the film started to get sick.

A father was watching his wife and little girl suffering so he made the terrible decision to talk to his wife about ending their lives.

The government had issued the population with pills to give people the choice of a painful/painless death.

It was heartbreaking to watch as he walked around the house, switching off the electricity etc and at one point, he paused on the veranda and raised his face to the sun, closing his eyes.

His face was tear streaked as he walked back in to watch his wife holding their sick daughter.

They laid her between them on the bed and each took a pill. The wife was crying silent tears and the father stroked her hair and cuddled his family, waiting for the pills to take effect.

It wasn't particularly well acted or filmed, but it brought a tear to my eye. It was a sobering film and one I won't forget in a hurry. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the film, which is very odd considering the effect it had on me!

TTurtle wrote:

Syd wrote:

If you say sucker punch made you go woah then you have poor taste in films haha. Naa just personally I felt it was a very weak film

I loved Sucker Punch, I honestly wasn't expecting much from the trailer, I just thought it was gonna be something like Dead Or Alive, but I genuinely love that film. Must have watched it every night for a week when I first got it.

Back to the original post, films that made me feel that way include Sunshine, so visually stunning. Requiem For A Dream, I almost cired at the ending, I felt literally destroyed by the time it had finished. I think if i hadn't have seen it in the moring and it wasn't bright outside I would have had a breakdown

Another good one is Eternal Sunshine for the Spotless Mind