General Fears & Phobias

Mentioned in another thread so we needed an all new one! I did a search first so put away your paddles & spankers. Sorry!

What fears and phobias do you have? Not necessarily sex related.

Ok.. I have arachnophobia. Seriously. I really hate spiders, not just in the oh they're icky way, but in the jump out of my skin whilst yelling an ear splittingly shrill screech type way.

Think it comes from when a past girlfriend insisted on not killing the spider that was on the wall on MY side of the bed, called it Josephine, said it at all the other bugs (!) and I had to have the lights out whilst knowing this bloody spider was about a foot from my face as I went to sleep

*shudders*

My Mrs is scared of spiders too - they don't worry me, but that's probably because by and large spiders are harmless in the UK. If we were in Australia, for example, where they have such delights as the Black Widow, then I might be a little apprehensive.

As I said in the other thread, though, I have a fairly common phobia, and a fairly strange one. I am scared of heights, and I am scared of cows.

The heights thing is a weird one, because sometimes I can be fine. For example, recently I went up Blackpool tower and walked over the glass floor, without even breaking sweat. But, more recently, I climbed ladders to work on our gutters, and I was shaking like a leaf, less than 15ft off the ground. So it's not just heights that freak me out, there has to be other influences too, and I think it's mostly where I know I could potentially fall. I can confidently climb a ladder and onto the roof of a double decker bus, and walk back and forward along the roof without worry. But coming back onto the ladder, where a mis-placed foot could see me fall the fourteen or so feet back to the ground... that worries me.

And I really don't know why I'm scared of cows, I just am.

I wouldn't say it's a phobia but I'm very uncomfortable with spiders. It got worse when I woke up one night to find one crawling up my thigh - Hubby said he'd never seen me move so fast! Ugh!

I can't kill them in case I miss - can't stand the thought of them running over me.

Terrified of parrots - too noisy, too scary looking, too flappy & hate that white scabby looking bit round their eyes - all round nastiness I can't understand why people keep them as pets.

In fact any big bird is a bit freaky (a friend once sent me a picture of a shoebill - the stuff of nightmares) - the one off sesame street is ok though.

I only have a fear of dangerous things, I'm fine until it could potentially injure me, sounds similar to you CS.

I like to think of it as common sense!

Sorry to break it but black widows are not from Australia...

Its a redback in Oz, same genus/family I think though... Sorry I'm being pedantic!

I don't like spiders. I can't think of anything that I am desperately scared of. I have a habit of freaking myself out if I'm out in the dark on my lonesome. As a kid I was terrified of the wicked witch of the west x

I have a couple of phobias.

The first one is Dentophbia or Odontophobia as it is sometimes known. A fear of Dentists. Mine is quite severe, I have to be sedated to have work carried out. Even getting sedated has caused some trouble in the past. Once my pulse was so high that I blew 2 veins while the dentist tryed to get the needle in. Panic attacks are quite common while at the dentist. Even phoning for an appointment can set 1 off.

My other phobia is Ornithophobia, a fear of birds. I hate the things, the way the wings flap make me cringe and the beaks on them, not good. I have been known to be so scared that I have been sick.

One other little one but not sure what it is called. I am not really scared of hights but standing on the ground and looking up, at a high building ect, makes me feel dizzy and really queezy.

Oh, all your spider talk is giving me shivers, and not the good kind! But I don't have a phobia of them, they just hugely creep me out (it's the teeny little joints in their leg, argh, they make my legs quivery). I kind of really like them at the same time, just can't go near them, it's terribly confusing.

Until I was about 14, I had an awful phobia of skeletons (or super-decomposed corpses!) - that was a really embarrassing! Oddly though I tried the whole 'exposure' thing and, after a while, it's completely gone. The fridge probably is more frightening now.

Thankfully no phobias. I can get wimpishly scared of the dark when I'm on my own, and don't swim in water where I can't see the bottom (last time I had a panic attack :S) though.

Mistress Cara wrote:

Mentioned in another thread so we needed an all new one! I did a search first so put away your paddles & spankers. Sorry! External Media

Ok.. I have arachnophobia. Seriously. I really hate spiders, not just in the oh they're icky way, but in the jump out of my skin whilst yelling an ear splittingly shrill screech type way.

Think it comes from when a past girlfriend insisted on not killing the spider that was on the wall on MY side of the bed, called it Josephine, said it at all the other bugs (!) and I had to have the lights out whilst knowing this bloody spider was about a foot from my face as I went to sleep External Media

*shudders*

I never kill anything!!!! I might put it outside if it's a huge one, we get tree spiders that come in for a warm if it's a bit cold, my little girl freaks out if she sees them so i put them out.

Chris Stefani wrote:

My Mrs is scared of spiders too - they don't worry me, but that's probably because by and large spiders are harmless in the UK. If we were in Australia, for example, where they have such delights as the Black Widow, then I might be a little apprehensive.

As I said in the other thread, though, I have a fairly common phobia, and a fairly strange one. I am scared of heights, and I am scared of cows.

The heights thing is a weird one, because sometimes I can be fine. For example, recently I went up Blackpool tower and walked over the glass floor, without even breaking sweat. But, more recently, I climbed ladders to work on our gutters, and I was shaking like a leaf, less than 15ft off the ground. So it's not just heights that freak me out, there has to be other influences too, and I think it's mostly where I know I could potentially fall. I can confidently climb a ladder and onto the roof of a double decker bus, and walk back and forward along the roof without worry. But coming back onto the ladder, where a mis-placed foot could see me fall the fourteen or so feet back to the ground... that worries me.

I love cows, i have them all over the house! I'd have one in the garden if i could!!! And how could you walk over that glass, it made me feel sick!!!

Ok my fear, and it is a real fear is polystyrene, is that how you spell it? I hate it. the feel the sound what it looks like i'm getting freaked out just talking about it External Media

Mistress Cara wrote:

Mentioned in another thread so we needed an all new one! I did a search first so put away your paddles & spankers. Sorry! External Media

Think it comes from when a past girlfriend insisted on not killing the spider that was on the wall on MY side of the bed, called it Josephine, said it at all the other bugs (!) and I had to have the lights out whilst knowing this bloody spider was about a foot from my face as I went to sleep External Media

*shudders*

I never kill anything!!!! I might put it outside if it's a huge one, we get tree spiders that come in for a warm if it's a bit cold, my little girl freaks out if she sees them so i put them out.

Chris Stefani wrote:

I love cows, i have them all over the house! I'd have one in the garden if i could!!! And how could you walk over that glass, it made me feel sick!!!

Ok my fear, and it is a real fear is polystyrene, is that how you spell it? I hate it. the feel the sound what it looks like i'm getting freaked out just talking about it External Media

I share Jo Brand's fear of axe weilding psychopaths! Other things that terrify me include:

1) Spiders...they're clearly made out of evil!

2) Snakes...rolled up evil

3) Seeing children holding guns...makes me feel phsyically sick and shakey

4) My legs are scared of heights but I'm not at all, I love going to the edge of cliffs and walking across glass floors but my legs randomly go to jelly and I can't hold my own weight...it's very odd because I don't feel afraid!

xxKPxx

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

KittyPurry wrote:

I share Jo Brand's fear of axe weilding psychopaths! Other things that terrify me include:

1) Spiders...they're clearly made out of evil!

2) Snakes...rolled up evil

3) Seeing children holding guns...makes me feel phsyically sick and shakey

4) My legs are scared of heights but I'm not at all, I love going to the edge of cliffs and walking across glass floors but my legs randomly go to jelly and I can't hold my own weight...it's very odd because I don't feel afraid!

xxKPxx

That one scares the hell out of me! When I was living in a rough area with my gran when I was younger, kinds used to walk about carrying knives and guns all the time! Really scared me a lot! Our neighbours grandson used to visit on occasions and he was only 4. He went in to his grandads drawer of stuff, and stole a really dangerous knife! He was waving it around at me and tried to stab and slice me! 4 years old! Mind, his father was to blame. I tried to take it off him cuz I was worried he was going to hurt himself and he acted like a hooded gangster! aiming for my wrists and telling me he was going to 'make me dead'

*Shudders* I was only about 12 years old myself..

That sounds terrifying! My fear started from watching documentaries about the children's gangs in Africa...seeing a young child with an AK-47 is up there with the most horrific things I've ever seen.

Oxfam unwrapped do a charity-gift thing where the money goes towards getting guns off the street and away from kids. A thoughtful someone got me it for christmas and it's definately one of the best presents I've ever had: http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/oxfam-unwrapped-parents-and-carers/OU4065AD.

xxKPxx

I have a few...

Spiders, not very original but huge fear of mine!! I can cope with a money spider, anything bigger than that and I get quite hysterical.

Fear of murky water. I don't mind how deep it is as long as its crystal clear, but there can be a pond of murky water shallow enough to walk through and i'd panic - you just don't know whats in there!

Fear of wasps. I don't mind bees as much. I have this fear and yet ive never been stung by either!

Fear of daddy long legs and moths - its the horrible thick hairy bodies of the moths that freak me out!

Fear of gangs of teenagers on the street - hooded or otherwise. They may mean no harm, but my heart starts racing and I feel sick because of what they might be up to.

I've thought of a major phobia. Forgot until my oh reminded me oh not so kindly earlier. I have a major thing against anyone going anywhere near my arm on the inside of my elbow. Just the thought makes me have to fold my arms. It even really bothers me if anyone touches themselves there. I think it's from having blood taken from there as a kid x

Oh another one - I can't stand anyone walking behind me! It really freaks me out!

I don't know why but i don't think i have a phobia. I don't seem to shudder at anything. oh yes i do i shudder at marmite! if you open it i can't stand the smell. I have never tasted it though, but i know i won't like it. and i shudder at creepy old bagpuss, oh i can't stand the way he moves!

But i know i don't like clowns or daddy long legs, but i don't shudder at them.

I don't know why but i don't think i have a phobia. I don't seem to shudder at anything. oh yes i do i shudder at marmite! if you open it i can't stand the smell. I have never tasted it though, but i know i won't like it. and i shudder at creepy old bagpuss, oh i can't stand the way he moves!

Since a phobia is an irrational fear and I'm an engineer I don't really have any

I have a perfectly rational distrust of flying - anything with a million moving parts, all made by the lowest bidder, zooming through the air at hundreds of miles per hour and no parachutes, b*ll*cks to that!

Small spaces. Can't be doing with small spaces at all.

SS xx

For me its daddy long legs (craneflys) they just creep me out, they way they move just freaks me out a lot!

Also - driving up steep inclinations makes my heart rate and breathing increase, it really scares me. It started with a fear of cliff edges, but then driving up any steep hill will no creep me out in anticipation of cliff edges.

I'm scared of some birds when they are close by, particularly seagulls, geese and swans.

And take off and landing in planes worries me too - fine once I'm in the air though - I guess that isn't irrational though!

Ax