General Fears & Phobias

My step dad has a phobia of buttons but only flat in his palm...

I ask him what the difference between money and buttons is (apart form the obvious)... he can never answer but he just hates 'em!

I don't like most creepy crawlys in life. I din't mind seeing them as long as they stay well away from me!

Nit the one thing I realy can't stand is an animal that has died and dryed up in the hot summer leaving a bag of bones covered in it's dryed up skin!

The nerest thing to it was when I was woken up by a 2" spida walking across my cheep bed side cubord. It sownded like it was wereing hob nail boots!

NippleRings wrote:

I don't like most creepy crawlys in life. I din't mind seeing them as long as they stay well away from me!

Same here. I like spiders... they kill my sworn enemies, flies and wasps!

I don't like 'em on me either though.

I fear nothing! Except divorce lawyers :-s Really though. . . I have a slight worry of fire. I have great respect for it. It's like a living entity. Just my little fire thang I have going on. Other than that all good. SG

As with RubberJin, I don't really have any phobias. I do, however, dislike the idea of the world becoming totally religious. I'd just have to take up arms and rebel. I'd also hate it if the world was in perfect order, I'm just a creature of chaos and like it when things don't quite work as planned. Life would be boring otherwise.

this one is weird, but those tailors dummies they use in museums, you know the ones that they have acting out certain life and times ( like at yorvik for example) i dont know where it comes from at all but they scare the hell outta me

it dosent help that last year when in a museum with the dummies behind a case ( cloathing or something) my mate started knocking on the glass whenever my back was turned. he is very lucky to still have his testicles!

another one is needles, though thats more a learned response from having very deep veins as a child ( over 100 attempts to get a vein in one go) I'm getting over it a bit in a self styled CBT by donating blood, knowing that its for an amasing cause has helped me be less fearful.

Nexas wrote:

I have horrid coulrophobia...It's a phobia of clowns...

this reminds me. MR BLOBBY. i was ( and still terrified of him) growing up in the 90's there were people dressed as him everywhere! and i got cornered by one once, apparently my parents could hear me scream across the arcade we were in

In a similar mould I fear the lack of critical thinking that goes on in the world.

Kids drinking magic water to cure cancer, people making huge decisions based the position of planets, people being conned by psychics and ghost busters in to certain behaviours, people selling dowsing sticks to detect explosives, numerous people killed/injured by pseudo-scientific remedies, blind faith to books 1000s of years old, conspiracy theories, those that believe the world will end in 2012, climate change deniers, creationism/ID, 'plastic' doctors (nutritionists, chiropractors etc) and many many many others.

Ill informed decisions cost lives. That genuinely scares me.

AdnaW wrote:

Also - driving up steep inclinations makes my heart rate and breathing increase, it really scares me. It started with a fear of cliff edges, but then driving up any steep hill will no creep me out in anticipation of cliff edges.

In that case, never get in a car with my friend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOQDO2l2UNs

RubberJin wrote:

AdnaW wrote:

Also - driving up steep inclinations makes my heart rate and breathing increase, it really scares me. It started with a fear of cliff edges, but then driving up any steep hill will no creep me out in anticipation of cliff edges.

Wow - I will take that advice haha - that does not look like fun!

Ax

my main one is hydrophobia

RubberJin wrote:

AdnaW wrote:

Haha, how embarrassing for him/ her! There are just some friends who will never let you live that kind of thing down...

sweetlove - I remember that time when there were Mr. Blobbys galore too! You couldn't go to a primary school party without there being something Blobbified (cake, costume, balloons, you name it). My sister was like you, terrified of him, but I was a huge fan. He reminded me of a very large, smiley skittle. Good days!

I don't really have any phobias as such. I hate things that fly around me, but no real phobias to speak of.

I have agoraphobia, used to be alot worse, but these days its alot milder, and as a result i have panic attacks, and alot of anxiety.

OOoooh in light of having to do a presentation today...I will add to mine: public speaking! It makes me feel sick and sweaty and dizzy...a sexy combination, no?!

xxKPxx

I know a woman who saw a spider in her car and jumped out, before the car she was driving had stopped.

Artel wrote:

I know a woman who saw a spider in her car and jumped out, before the car she was driving had stopped.

Maybe it was like a spidery car jacking?

Her passengers were not happy.

I hate birds in an enclosed space.

When we lived in the countryside we used to gets birds (and bats occasionally) trapped in our house quite often. My wife had to deal with them - I couldn;t go into the room they were in. Other than that not any more.

I used to be afraid of heights so I abseiled down a 300ft cliff to get over it. Worked wonders!

Sam66 wrote:

I hate birds in an enclosed space.

When we lived in the countryside we used to gets birds (and bats occasionally) trapped in our house quite often. My wife had to deal with them - I couldn;t go into the room they were in. Other than that not any more.

I used to be afraid of heights so I abseiled down a 300ft cliff to get over it. Worked wonders!

Congrats on getting over the height one! Now you just need to lock yourself in a shed with a ostrich.