How does your garden grow

Another tip for you tree @Lovehoney_Brenna
Stakes are always a good job especially as we can never tell if we will get a strong wind while it’s growing, place the stake against the direction you will most likely get the wind, don’t point the stake the same way the wind will blow.
We mostly get winds from SW where I am. I know we often get a cold breeze from Finland way from time to time, so a 2 nd stake will help this and will also help if you cant tell which way the wind will come from.
If you have a very open garden, this is simple to work out by holding up an item of clothing when windy.
It can also come round gaps and side gates.
Any decent bit of timber will do or I have used old copper pipes on some smaller fruit plants.

I learnt this the hard way - by losing all my apple tree blossom.

I always wondered why my dad made a fuss about having 2 pear trees in the garden :blush:

3 Likes

@Melody1 a nice pear :pear:

2 Likes

Like everyone said a steak is a good call as it prevents the root ball from rocking in the wind and breaking any of the new tiny roots its trying to put out. Make sure to use padded ties when you attack the tree to it and check how tight you should tie it. You may need to loosen it periodically.

You’ll need to water it through any dry spells and probubly through its first summer if its a hot one.

Its a good idea to rake the leaves up from them in the winter as it helps prevent against them catching rust (which trees are rather prone to down here)

3 Likes

Leaves are good to mulch in a bin bag. Throw 'em in. Tie off, punch a couple of holes for air then leave out of the way for a couple of years. You should end up with some beautiful organic matter

1 Like

Yeah, leaf mulch is great stuff. Sadly we never manage to make any as its so windy here in the winter it blows all the leaves away

2 Likes

I have a rather large garden at my parents, and since moving back have speng most of the spring, summer & autumn reclaming it from the neglecte.

Now i have the grass at a manageable level its easier to cut, only takes sn hour or so instead of 3days or 3 hours.

My old man & i decided to cut away all the dead trees a couple years ago & we reclaiming the area where the old pine trees were cut & left by the power company, they were touching or close to touching the power lines.

Last year my old man planted about 15 fruit trees, various apple, plums & cherry ones to help with the flooding, which are mostly all lowering

I also started to grow my own oak & hazelbut trees from the acrons. im happy to announce my oak trees have began to sprout, so i repotted them into bigger pots but the hazelnuts didnt take. Im sure a bird or rodent got to them because i couldnt even find them in the old pots at all.

So over the next few years I’ll be keeping my eye on them before planting them between the garden & the field in hope that in many years time when im in my 70s my kid can tell a story to whoever about how his old man & papa planted all these trees in the garden

We are planning to out a 25m growing poly tunnel this year if we get sleepers to raise in incase of flooding

5 Likes

Can highly recommended the RHS online! Seriously good info for those who are um ‘unsure’ :rofl:

4 Likes

Second @BishBosh, rhs is also my go to.

Planted more corgettes as only one of the first lot came up.
Seed beds are all coming up with tomato seedlings so going to transplant them when they get bigger

4 Likes

The front lawn’s long and wild at the moment and there’s a pair of Great Tits that come out every day!

I guess No Mow May is keeping the buglife happy, and the bird life loves it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(But seriously. We have an actual pair of Great Tits that visit the garden every day. Is it just childish that this makes me smile/giggle every time?)

5 Likes

I planted out my cosmos in the front garden I have a few more to plant in the back with more asters lupines and cosmos all grown from seeds :bouquet:

1 Like

Been nurturing a load of fuschia’s and petunia’s that i got free cos they were half dead, coming along nicely now! As with people, they just need a bit of TLC to thrive.

3 Likes

My carrots failed (planted out too early I think).
More sown this morning. Broad beans ready for picking this evening.

4 Likes

Same as you @WillC
I got a load of dahlias that were end of shelf life.
All attention is moving to my tomato plants now.
Get them as tall as I can.

3 Likes

Love broad beans :yum:

1 Like

Me too. Smell reminds me of being a child. Helping my Mum sell the beans for Sunday dinner.

1 Like

I can not despite trying get any rudbeckias to seed have 2 goes already this year and chuff all :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Courgettes finally up. Looks like most pf them made it which means we are going to be swamped with corgettes before too long. Ah well, better to have a few extra incase the slugs munch off some

4 Likes

I have just gotten some herbs, and they’re going to go in either a tray or a bucket outside my door since I still won’t have a yard this summer :seedling: I’ll be trying my best not to let them die, and I’m excited to cook with them! :yum:

4 Likes

Mow the lawns today and repot the beans , mixed lettuce and see what else can be moved up or planted in my Gazanias look ready to go in :+1:

3 Likes