How does your garden grow

I love the idea of gardening and I adore looking at peoples gardens and beautiful flowers/ homegrown fruit & veg but I can’t stand it myself. I’m really squeamish around worms and bugs and I generally just find it really boring. I bought a pretty pink indoor potted plant and I killed that within a week!
So definitely no green fingers here but I applaud all those who have the patience and care to look after their gardens and plants because it really does take some dedication :potted_plant::cherry_blossom::hibiscus:

3 Likes

After I retired almost 6 years ago I re did our front yard , all new lawn and had it rather nice with flowers in a small rockery and window box . My wife had to have another dog about a year and a half ago . Needless to say it is no longer as nice .
In the back yard I have two raised beds with green onion , string beans , carrots , beets , radishes , lettuce and containers with cucumbers , potatoes and several volunteer tomatoes . I also have two beefsteak tomato plants and two cherry tomatoes . In the back yard we have multiple large ferns native to our area , several hydrangeas and a multi layer strawberry container .
I will point out I also planted several pine trees in 87’ when they were 2-3 feet tall , need to take down four of them before expanding my pond / They are now between 70 -85’ tall .

2 Likes

I inherited a few large trees which I am currently cutting back to fire my stove through the winter

Yes!! Bees are actually very friendly as won’t ever sting unless feel threatened as they can only sting once which sadly results in them dying afterwards, not sure if it’s different for honey bees… but yes all they’re interested in is collecting the flower pollens :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Wicked!! I may have to get some of them :smiley:

Salvia Amistad is a nice one .

2 Likes

We’re not gardeners so we grow mostly gravel interspersed with Bonsai trees.

4 Likes

I shall make a list of these bee plants to look up and find on my next garden expedition lol :smiley:

We started picking the figs today, sadly the birds beat us to it slightly and we had to shoo one out of the green house

2 Likes

I will have a quick look through our list of plants and see what bee friendly ones we have and then post them here.

1 Like

That’d be really kind thank you :smiley:

Sounds like my garden! I have a small border of flowers and at the moment I have a cherry tomato plant which have just started to ripen and an aubergine which I think is about to flower but not sure summer will be long enough for it to fruit

1 Like

My gardening skills are pretty dire but I’ve managed to grow a teeny, tiny, iddy biddy tomato! It’s still green at the minute though :smiley:

7 Likes

This thread is reminding me that I need to harvest the rhubarb. I just don’t fancy making/eating a crumble with custard in this weather.

4 Likes

I’m sure you already know but rhubarb freezes really well, think it still needs cooking first though so probably not much help. Love rhurbarb crumble but definitely not in this weather!

1 Like

I might be brave tomorrow and grab it before the sun gets going. Maybe i could make rhubarb ice cream instead… :thinking:

And then it could become a gin and rhubarb shake!

You’ve convinced me! :+1:

2 Likes

Rhubarb ice-cream sounds amazing, gin and rhubarb shake sounds even better!

1 Like

We have the following

Penstemon - Pristine Scarlet
Lavatera Barnsley
Geranium Rozanne
Salvia Amistad
Salvia Purprea
Lavender Angustifolia Beezee White
Scabiosa
Zinnia Orange King
Buddleja White Profusion
Ammi Majus

Some can be grown from seed and will attract a mixture of wildlife into your garden.
Hope it helps.

2 Likes

That’s a beautiful colour mix of plants! Thank you for putting that list together and lucky me is actually off to the garden centre today so I can find some of these beauties :smiley:

2 Likes

Picked the last of my cherries today.
Don’t forget to water your trees, especially the younger ones or even those out on your street :slight_smile:
:potable_water:

3 Likes