How does your garden grow

Anybody have and idea how to stop the slugs eating my slowly developing peppers and chillies.

Lucky duck. Seriously envious, always wanted cherry trees

1 Like

@Onlyones are they in the ground or pots?

They are all in pots ,last year they were in the ground and got destroyed this year is not fairing much better.

I had the same and found itā€™s not slugs, itā€™s some very strange fly on mine. Did the fairly liquid trick that works on greenfly and moved them and looks ok so far.

Freezing excess cherries and raspberries and using them as ice cubes!

2 Likes

I thought you had planted one .

Tragically no, not me. More fruit trees are on the books, but not for a while as everything is a bit complicated at the moment.

Maybe when things settle down then- I love the garden pics you posted earlier. I was picking peas too today and excited to see some french beans from plants that survived the frost (which killed most of this yearā€™s beans)

@Baby_Jane - great idea, I have plenty of lemons from a local food project so Iā€™ll slice and freeze those too

1 Like

I love doing this! Makes drinks special and saves on waste. I do the same with oranges and lemons too :smile:

4 Likes

Our veg patch was a bit patchy this year, everything was so dry and cold just when we needed rain its thrown alot of stuff off

2 Likes

Have you ever done it with edible flowers like elderflower? They look so pretty in icecubes

2 Likes

I havenā€™t, but it seems so obvious now youā€™ve said it :+1: Iā€™ll give it a go next time I want to impress :smile:

Sadly Iā€™m not much of a gardener, although Iā€™m familiar with the common bedding plants from the times I spend with my dad in his greenhouse and garden. He dug up half of our lawn to grow his extra veggies so I mostly tend to potter in amongst his efforts.

1 Like

I think mine are being attacked by slugs (or snails or both) as we have seen evidence of slime on them.I did move the plants now in pots to a different area of the garden but that did not seem to help.

@Onlyones
Two things I hav3 tried this year that work instead of slug pellets.
-Surround the pots with straw

• a strip of copper around the pot to stop them getting any higher up pot.
    -planting marigolds near any crops you want was a tip I was given and worked very well last year, but I had to move my pots this year.

Itā€™s like some of the toy advice on here - it worked for me but may not work for you :joy:

1 Like

Sometimes unpotting and giving them a check is a good idea as they tend to hide inside the bottom of the pots too

Gritting the pot. Putting crushed eggshells, bran or soot on the soil all works to varying degrees.
Beer traps are good, or picking them off in the evening and rehoming them (though they do have a homing instinct, so make sure to shift them a good distance)
Organic slub pellets or copper rings are the most successful for usā€¦that or getting some toads/hedghogs, also recommended :hedgehog:

1 Like

Agree about the beer pots. Very effective.

1 Like

I did look at the copper rings but apparently they need to be be fairly wide so that you can sink them a fair way down or the slugs burrow under them.

You can buy strips of copper on a roll. This way you can run it around the pot or can tack i5 to the rim of the pot.
Works great on wooden planters, as you can tack anywhere.

1 Like

With rain on the way after the long hot week Iā€™ve spent this evening moving wood from my outdoor store (under some trees) the the ā€˜coalā€™ shed to keep dry for my stove for the winter. Done a bit of sawing and chopping too.