How important is sex toy cleaner?

Sorry if this is an old question, but... I bought my first stroker about a month ago, and have used it 7 or 8 times, and have really been enjoying it. I've been washing it out with soap and water immediately after each time (it's reversible, so it's really easy to clean out thouroughly), and was wondering if this was enough? Is there something that the specific sex toy cleaner does (or doesn't) have which makes it better?

Using an antibacterial spray will help to prevent an infection. Renewer powder, applied once washed and dried, will help with keeping the quality of the material.

Very important. Toys are coming in contact with your private area, whether internally or externally which holds bacteria. Not using anti-bacterial you spray will cause any bacteria that is still lingering to cause infections. Remember to use cleaner that’s suitable for your toy depending on the material. I have glass toys and even though not porous, I still use toy cleaner regardless.

Personally I have never used sex toy cleaner. I wash all my toys with anti bacterial handwash or plain liquid soap and water. I've been using this method ever since I started using sex toys, which is a good number of years now and have never encountered any problems. My OH has a stroker too which is cleaned in the same manner ,again no problems .

1 Like

DanceswithPenguins wrote:

Using an antibacterial spray will help to prevent an infection. Renewer powder, applied once washed and dried, will help with keeping the quality of the material.

Renewer Powder is just cornflour. You can save yourself a few quid and buy a box from the supermarket. 👍

Thanks for all your input guys, I appreciate it!

wildflower wrote:

Personally I have never used sex toy cleaner. I wash all my toys with anti bacterial handwash or plain liquid soap and water. I've been using this method ever since I started using sex toys, which is a good number of years now and have never encountered any problems. My OH has a stroker too which is cleaned in the same manner ,again no problems .

Completely agree, have been washing them for almost 30 years and so far ...

Ian Chimp wrote:

DanceswithPenguins wrote:

Renewer Powder is just cornflour. You can save yourself a few quid and buy a box from the supermarket. 👍

And also only some strokers need the cornflower

1 Like

I use Lovehoney's cleaner most of the time but I've also used hand soap.

I've suffered bladder infections then the ineveitable post-antibiotics thrush since my early teens so I'm careful with my toys and have to take care pre/post sex. One of my greatest finds here (but currently out of stock) has been Pjur Med Cleansing spray. This stuff is fab and puts my mind at ease as it kills bacteria and fungi.

If you got this to use you'd still need to wash the toy out with whatever you like but a quick squirt after it's dried or even just before use is that extra peace of mind. Bladder infections are rare in men but quite nasty I've heard, and no one needs a fungal infection in their life.

VR wrote:

Bladder infections are rare in men but quite nasty I've heard

Urinary tract infections can be far worse for men if left untreated, in women they are far more common one reason being due to having a shorter Urethra than men.

As you said using a cleaner that kill Bacteria is a good way of preventing such conditions.

Good advice. On a related note I have some steel toys, urethral ones that I have noticed sort of rust type build up. How do people clean them?

Mac317 wrote:

Good advice. On a related note I have some steel toys, urethral ones that I have noticed sort of rust type build up. How do people clean them?

I have a number of these that I have used for years and just cleaned with soap and water.

Don't know where you bought them but if there is any 'build up' then there is an issue. Personally I would not be putting them anywhere except the bin.

Original question, not, just use any anti bacterial hand wash then dry and you're all good, people are wasting their money, just my thoughts.

I’ve mostly just used soap and water and that’s been fine. Have once or twice brought wipes from a well known high street store but they didn’t wipe away just smeared it round?

Hourglass95 wrote:

I’ve mostly just used soap and water and that’s been fine. Have once or twice brought wipes from a well known high street store but they didn’t wipe away just smeared it round?

Depends on the wipes and if the toy needs physical cleaning before using them. Some are impregnated with alcohol or anti-bac ingredients. How useful these ingredients are depends on how the wipes are used.

I used wipes in a hospital setting but we were taught that we had to follow the instructions to the letter. Some would state to leave wet for at least 5 minutes. High alcohol content wipes would dry off quickly so we'd have to use 2 wipes per item.

If your toys are gunky and waterproof good old soap and water will do. Anti-bac soap does not mean you can wash the item faster than using just soap and water. You often have to use the product for longer in order for the anti-bac ingredients to work.

As I said in my earlier post a good wash is better but wipes are great to use before use if you need reassurance the toy is clean out of storage and certainly better than nothing.

Some people can be a bit slap-dash with toy cleaning. Some can get away with it, some can't. Visits to our GUM clinic from people not sexually active but used toys were surprisingly common.

I've always used cleaner. They usually tend to smell nice as well as giving me reassurance that its clean , although I am a bit of a clean freak and then boil them after spraying 🤣

I usually use soap, hot water and let air dry. However I recently got a pack of cleaning wipes in a bundle from LH. I've used them once or twice and they do leave a nice smell but not sure I'd use regularly. People who use these, do you use these in addition to hand washing toys or instead of?

Forever his ♡ wrote:

I usually use soap, hot water and let air dry. However I recently got a pack of cleaning wipes in a bundle from LH. I've used them once or twice and they do leave a nice smell but not sure I'd use regularly. People who use these, do you use these in addition to hand washing toys or instead of?

In addition. Mainly as a super-quick clean up before putting them on the bedside table. Getting up to clean toys after sex is not gonna happen!

I've also used them pre-sex if they've not been used for a while and I'm too lazy to clean them before-hand.

Very important to keep your toys clean! Either use soap, sex toy cleaner, or boil (if your toy material can handle it).

Normally I just rely on soap and water, using wet wipes if necessary to deal with the initial mess. Then patting down with a towel and air drying. I've never had to buy cleaner and have never run into any issues.

Regardless of the method, just make sure you do something to keep your toys clean :)