How long do you use a new toy for before you review it?

We decided to review pretty much everything, but I love reviewing them :-)

Depends what it is really. With something like a cockring I know if I like it or don't from one use. A masturbator can take a little bit longer to get to know!

Interesting thread that I've never discovered!

With testers, I aim to review after 2 - 3 uses (to give it a fair go) and will try and review within 1 - 2 weeks.

With things I've bought - as and when I feel I have given it a fair chance and have fully made my mind up on it.

There are some things that really take a while to get a review up as I may only be in the mood to use it every few months but I always aim to write fair reviews so sometimes that means waiting a little longer.

Ax

Good questions, cheers for the bump AdnaW. With testers I aim to review ASAP as instructed in the emails. With regular buys I try to get a few sessions with the toy. The longest time is usually a week. I also make time for solo and joint sessions.

I've got a review pending for the Tracey G-Spot kit which has taken many weeks because it's taken me a while to decide the product is faulty and we're not a good match (otherwise, it's varry varrry good) . I love LH's refund policy, they're fab.

SecretlyNaughty wrote:

Do people here review EVERYTHING they get?

Absolutely! The more reviews the better. I wish there were more reviews for condoms, it's a great message to send out there that people are using them and having a kick ass time. Reviews can absolutely make or break a purchuse for me. If I've found users with similar likes and dislikes then they're invaluable.

They're also a great way to spot marmite toys. The We Vibe II is the best example! No middling reviews there it seems.

SecretlyNaughty wrote:

Do people here review EVERYTHING they get?

Yes, but sometimes it takes us a while to get round to it - like to use things several times rather than making a snap decision.

On the subject of much-reviewed items; I'd always prefer to know that 50 people have reviewed it and on average they think it's great than 5 people - the more the merrier!

Tigerlilies wrote:

Absolutely! The more reviews the better. I wish there were more reviews for condoms, it's a great message to send out there that people are using them and having a kick ass time. Reviews can absolutely make or break a purchuse for me. If I've found users with similar likes and dislikes then they're invaluable.

They're also a great way to spot marmite toys. The We Vibe II is the best example! No middling reviews there it seems.

This is exactly why I love writing reviews! I really appreciate a good review and I'd like to think I consider the relevant details in most of my reviews hopefully making them useful in decision making for others, which is what I use reviews for - on another note I quite like Diamonds' reviews as she tends to consider things I find really useful :D I also like KP's as she is petite like myself, and MC's images are always useful as she has a similar body shape to myself which is useful when buying clothes!

Ax

Tigerlilies wrote:

I wish there were more reviews for condoms, it's a great message to send out there that people are using them and having a kick ass time. Reviews can absolutely make or break a purchuse for me. If I've found users with similar likes and dislikes then they're invaluable.

Try the Durex Love! Great they be! (I even emailed SSL to see if they would be stocked properly in the UK, alas no...) Also currently available in the 99p shop!External Media

Our fave condoms.

WandA wrote:

Tigerlilies wrote:

I wish there were more reviews for condoms, it's a great message to send out there that people are using them and having a kick ass time. Reviews can absolutely make or break a purchuse for me. If I've found users with similar likes and dislikes then they're invaluable.

Try the Durex Love! Great they be! (I even emailed SSL to see if they would be stocked properly in the UK, alas no...) Also currently available in the 99p shop!External Media

Our fave condoms.

They are amazing! They sell them on LH and they are absolutely amazing - oh and they had them in Pounland (a box of 4) a few weeks ago....I recommend them to absolutely everyone and anyone!

Ax

They sell condoms at Pound shops?

Why was I not informed???

That's my shopping trip for tomorrow sorted.

Tigerlilies wrote:

They had Durex Melts at some point too - and the foamy massage gel :)

Ax

Tigerlilies wrote:

You have been now, shheeessshhh, give us some time to!External Media

Usually its three a box, these have more... try Home Bargains, they do 'em cheap too!

Nice, for a minute I worried the bargain would only be for one lonely condom.

LoveHoney should definitely give the pound stretcher deal a go. No? Oh well.

Did you see the news story about a campaign to bring female condoms into vogue?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=125020158

It's all about how women shouldn't be scared to use them. Um, we're not scared, we just don't like our lovemaking to sound like someone shagging a bloody carrier bag thank-you-very-much.

The last thing I bought in a pound shop was Nivea skin cream in the tin (the plastic tub is different, importantly so because Marilyn used the tin ) Can't praise it enough. No expensive skin creams for me.

Oh and the article neglects the facts that femidoms are made of polyurethane, which is more likely to break than latex; that it's more expensive and the rate of failing to protect someone is higher. Sounds like a crap alternative to condoms to me.

Tigerlilies wrote:

Oh and the article neglects the facts that femidoms are made of polyurethane, which is more likely to break than latex; that it's more expensive and the rate of failing to protect someone is higher. Sounds like a crap alternative to condoms to me.

So what actual benefits do they have?

Ax

I recently got a sample condom, Skyn.

It was rather crap... Pound Shops are amazing though!

AdnaW wrote:

Tigerlilies wrote:

So what actual benefits do they have?

Ax

Femidom pros off the internet:

• Women can use female condoms their partner refuses to or rather women share the responsibilities to protect themselves and their partner from STDs. It will also safeguard them from pregnancy.

Although if I encountered someone who refused I'll be showing them the door, not the femidom.

• They are small easy to carry and disposable

Like condoms.

• The material used to make female condoms is less likely to cause any allergic reactions.

Like non-latex condoms

• Female condoms can be inserted 8 hours before sexplay begins.

Fair play, good pros. I'll wear one to the shops.

• Sensation is preserved as the polyurethane is thin and conducts heat well.

See non-latex condoms.

• It can be used with oil based lubricants

Ditto.

Female condoms do not need specific storage as polyurethane is not affected by changes in temeperature and dampness.

Again, non latex condoms have the same property.

• You need not worry about the expiry date as it dates from 5 years of manufacture.

Not sure if I'm being dim, or that's not written very well but, say what?

Not bashing femidoms, contraception is fabulous but trying to make them fashionable when they're infinitely more of a faff than condoms seems a bit odd.

Also, sites advertise them as a way for women to take the initiative.

*Ahem,* excuse me, when I'm expertly applying a condom with my mouth straight after squeezing a small amount of lube into it then it is moi who is taking the initiative. Plus: breaking news, women select, buy, suggest and take out condoms.

Contraception takes two to tango.

Tigerlilies wrote:

Femidom pros off the internet:

• Women can use female condoms their partner refuses to or rather women share the responsibilities to protect themselves and their partner from STDs. It will also safeguard them from pregnancy.

Although if I encountered someone who refused I'll be showing them the door, not the femidom.

• They are small easy to carry and disposable

Like condoms.

• The material used to make female condoms is less likely to cause any allergic reactions.

Like non-latex condoms

• Female condoms can be inserted 8 hours before sexplay begins.

Fair play, good pros. I'll wear one to the shops.

• Sensation is preserved as the polyurethane is thin and conducts heat well.

See non-latex condoms.

• It can be used with oil based lubricants

Ditto.

Female condoms do not need specific storage as polyurethane is not affected by changes in temeperature and dampness.

Again, non latex condoms have the same property.

• You need not worry about the expiry date as it dates from 5 years of manufacture.

Not sure if I'm being dim, or that's not written very well but, say what?

Not bashing femidoms, contraception is fabulous but trying to make them fashionable when they're infinitely more of a faff than condoms seems a bit odd.

Haha! I envy your eloquence and humour!

That last one is very odd - 'cause 5 years is the same as "not worrying about expiry" - worrying that they suggest that! Of course people buy these things the minute they are spat out of the factory so it will ALWAYS be 5 years!

Sounds like no real pros (apart from the whole offering someone variation - which is a good thing).

Ax

I will stop thread jacking now but it would be great to read a review for the only femidom on Lovehoney (as far as I can tell from searching)

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=10929

Probably needs an image overhaul before it can compete with condoms. Maybe it's just me but I think condoms are cute. Especially when they're packaged as Hello Kitty lollipops.

http://www.kittyhell.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/hello-kitty-condoms.jpg