How long do you use a new toy for before you review it?

Tigerlilies wrote:

Also, sites advertise them as a way for women to take the initiative.

*Ahem,* excuse me, when I'm expertly applying a condom with my mouth straight after squeezing a small amount of lube into it then it is moi who is taking the initiative. Plus: breaking news, women select, buy, suggest and take out condoms.

Contraception takes two to tango.

Well I wouldn't even consider "women taking the initiative" as a benefit of "female only" contraception - since when does "male only" contraception belong solely at the "initiative" of the male? I think all contraception should be relabelled "couples" (be it of the traditional - male and female in a committed relationship, or the one night stand "couple" or the "couple" who also belong to other "couples" or the "couple" who are actually a "triple" etc.) contraception and anyone can take the "initiative" as long as it's taken!

Ax

AdnaW wrote:

Well I wouldn't even consider "women taking the initiative" as a benefit of "female only" contraception - since when does "male only" contraception belong solely at the "initiative" of the male? I think all contraception should be relabelled "couples" (be it of the traditional - male and female in a committed relationship, or the one night stand "couple" or the "couple" who also belong to other "couples" or the "couple" who are actually a "triple" etc.) contraception and anyone can take the "initiative" as long as it's taken!

Ax

Bravo! I was kind of shocked when a gentleman asked me if I was on the pill to determine if we needed condoms. I had to hold his face, look deep in his eyes and say: Darling, if you don't know my last name then how do you expect to know if I have chlamydia?

He went very red and admitted it was a good point. The amount of men and women out there willing to risk willy rot for a game of STI roulette is quite alarming.

I will definitely be giving the Love condoms a go, the reviews sound great. Thanks for writing one, AdnaW.

Tigerlilies wrote:

AdnaW wrote:

Ax

Bravo! I was kind of shocked when a gentleman asked me if I was on the pill to determine if we needed condoms. I had to hold his face, look deep in his eyes and say: Darling, if you don't know my last name then how do you expect to know if I have chlamydia?

He went very red and admitted it was a good point. The amount of men and women out there willing to risk willy rot for a game of STI roulette is quite alarming.

I will definitely be giving the Love condoms a go, the reviews sound great. Thanks for writing one, AdnaW.

Shocking isn't it!

To keep it on topic - it took me ages to write that review because I just didn't think....condoms seem such a basic part of sex it seemed odd writing a review...then I remembered how wonderful they were (and how many different types we had tried before discovering them completely accidentally) and I thought - I'd better write that review! I'm still shocked that they don't sell them in the UK!

Ax

mine i try to the same night i have got them but if im working a night shift or kids wont settle then it takes some time, toys ive got for my wife well lets say we have a back log of toys still to even try let alone review lol

Interestingly - has anyone found that reviews written without enough testing can be problematic? I don't mind same day reviews - as long as they are thoroughly tested but when you can tell a reviewer is overly excited by the newness of a toy rather than its quality, it tends to put me off trusting the review for decision making.

Ax

Just a side note but we didn't really rate the Love condoms, you can't beat the Elite...

AdnaW wrote:

Interestingly - has anyone found that reviews written without enough testing can be problematic? I don't mind same day reviews - as long as they are thoroughly tested but when you can tell a reviewer is overly excited by the newness of a toy rather than its quality, it tends to put me off trusting the review for decision making.

Ax

Only come across these occasionally. To be honest the reviews I have problems with fall into these catergories:

• Not informative (but too much information) eg: 'Yo, I stuck this in her **** and she came and came...' Um. Thank you.
  • Giving a low rating without detail or suggesting who it could work for eg: 'Yo, I stuck this in her **** and she just blinked at me. 1 star!'
  • Saying they threw it away instead of getting refunds or using the amnesty eg: Yo, I stuck this in the trash.'

Low or high ratings without explanation bug me!

Also not taking into account that others are different is annoying- for example if I find a toy is too big I will add the disclaimer that I am "petite". Or simply say it is too big "for me" but when I read reviews saying "OMG this dildo was huge and unuseable don't buy it - 1 star" makes me think the reviewer hasn't thought about making their review relevant to all readers and not just people like themselves - which is fine, but for that to work, they need to explain what kind of person they are so that only those similar people can pay attention to that review.

Scrap what I've just written - that's your 2nd bullet point just in a more long winded way isn't it haha!

I guess I'm saying I agree

Ax

AdnaW wrote:

Low or high ratings without explanation bug me!

Also not taking into account that others are different is annoying- for example if I find a toy is too big I will add the disclaimer that I am "petite". Or simply say it is too big "for me" but when I read reviews saying "OMG this dildo was huge and unuseable don't buy it - 1 star" makes me think the reviewer hasn't thought about making their review relevant to all readers and not just people like themselves - which is fine, but for that to work, they need to explain what kind of person they are so that only those similar people can pay attention to that review.

Scrap what I've just written - that's your 2nd bullet point just in a more long winded way isn't it haha!

I guess I'm saying I agree External Media

Ax

I wanted to say I wish more buyers who hadn't read the girth and length measurements wouldn't review a product by saying it was bigger or small than it looked! Not useful at all, Einsteins!

Always found your reviews to be of great use, AdnaW. When you get a handle on people with similar specs it really helps with choosing something.

Thanks TL - I'm really glad you do! I have found I pay attention to reviewers who have similar preferences/body shapes/etc. to myself because they are often useful.

I do put quite a lot of effort into covering all the relevant info in my reviews - even though my writing style isn't the most exciting or beautiful, I'd like to think I do get the relevant info in and I am reasonably clear. I think a lot of the reviewers on LH - particularly OA members - put a lot of effort into covering all bases in their reviews.

I think part of the beauty of the forums is that you can relate to people you speak to, making their reviews even more useful!

Ax

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

Phew! Its tough being a sex toy tester! lol!

I don't know about that but it does leave you hot and sweaty...

The only real plus I can see in that list is the insertion prior to the act thing... I know some people think condoms disrupt the flow of sex (I'd argue they're just not trying to make condoms *part* of the experience enough) so that could be preferential... But I'd also think that getting down to it and your partner noticing you kind of... rustle... might be offputting too?

I'm sure I read somewhere that they have a higher fail rate than male condoms too? And they're more expensive! I really have never seen the point!

I normaly use things a few times over a week or two before I review, it depends what it is really :)

With testers I've been sent, it's usually two weeks maximum. I try to get a few goes out of it, including at least one session on my own and one with the OH so I can be fair. On things I've bought myself, I generally review them when I get around to it or when I'm bored :P

I use anything I'm reviewing in different situations and will always give something another try when I have a bad experience. The Sqweel is a great example for me - I couldn't get along with it at first at all no matter how hard I tried, but on my next attempt I had my first experience of squirting without penetration.

One liner reviews tend to annoy me, or those dismissing the item without explaining why it didn't work for them. I think mainly because they can't help me make a judgement on the product.

x

Yeah, as for other reviews annoying me... Much like everyone else, it's the "OMG this didnt do it 4 me so it's sh*t" type rubbish... Yeah, if something is a bit too big for me, fair play, but a size queen would love it likely... Likewise if I find a buttplug a little dull, a beginner might find it just the ticket to avoid intimidation...

One of the things I remember seeing in a LH thing about how to write a good review was suggesting you put yourself in other peoples' shoes - which I think is a very good point!

It depends on the toy, how many reviews I need to do and how much time I have to do it in. I have some toys that are around a month or so old and I havent reviewed yet. I try and put a lot of detail and thought into my reviews and so they take a couple of hours each.

I like to mix it up, know that my opiniion isn't rushed. Living overseas, I collect my purchases from my rellies on home flights (the tension is palpable as I cannot wait to try, which is frustrating when not having my own place). Also if it's a big toy, it's going to take time to get to know or come to terms with, and or may simply be something for a special occasion. So I'd leave it until I've used it a handful of times, it might be a while, hence only a couple of reviews up to now.

LH sent me a tester and it arrived almost immediately after I'd flown back to Germany, so the review had to wait a few weeks. () Actual time from opening to review was however only a couple of days after giving myself a good seeing-to..

There's a nice fun backlog in my toy-box and those winter evenings alone are giving me an excuse to test and no excuse not to comment, so I'll be catching up a bit on my backlog over the next few weeks.

depends on the experience, I try and give something a good few hard tests if I like it, however my most recent purchase had a damning review issued after 10minutes of 'play' at which point it was cleaned put in its box and took a trip down to the post office!

For me, it depends how good the first experiece of using it was. If it was amazing then I review it asap, if it's not so good or I'm unsure, I'll try it again a couple of times to get then full feel of it before it write a review. I like to be honest in my reviews and feel that some people only write good reviews for the sake of it and to impress LH.

rb

x x