Implant Changing

Hellooo ^_^

I was wondering if any of the girls out there have had their implant hanged and what it's like? I'm not due to have mine changed until next year but mine has moved and I think has caught a nerve as my arm is beyond uncomfortable and tingles 24/7 plus I'll be busy with moving and university in March and the only time i could get it changed is this summer. Will the nurse be willing to change it early because it's bothering me and have a new one fitted in my other arm and is it sore getting it changed? I'm a little nervous haha xx

Mine got all imbedded too. It took a hell of a lot of digging to get it out. I had left it in for 4 years though. I took my second one out after a year and it was nowhere near as bad.

If I was you I'd ring up the clinic and have a chat. You'll probably need to ring and book an appointment anyway (the clinics I went to didn't do walk in implants unless a person who did them just happened to be available). They can definitely take it out early if it is causing you problems but I'm not sure whether they will put a new one in your dominant arm since that goes against the manufacturer's guidelines. The question I'd be asking is whether a second implant wouldn't cause tingling too. It might be worth considering another method in case they don't recommend another implant.

I've had one removed and swapped for a new one in a sitting. I found the whole experience really straightforward and easy. 

You can have your implant removed whenever you want - so early is definitely not a problem. 

You could have the new implant put in the other arm if you wanted, but they prefer to place it in your non-dominant arm. Plus they would rather you didn't have two bruised arms, but I'm sure if you asked they would do it. I asked this myself because I want to get both arms completely tattooed, and you mustn't tattoo over an impant. They said it would be fine for me to swap arms in the future, should I choose. 

You might want to discuss the things that you don't like about the one you have though, as the new one will likely cause you the same problems (unless it's a placement issue, rather than an incompatibility with the hormones or implant itself).

Removal and replacement is a super-easy procedure. They numb your arm with a local anaesthetic so you don't feel anything. Just a small incision next to your existing impant is all it takes, and they remove the implant and patch you up. I had a couple of steristrips (so no real stitches) and a bandage. It bruises, but no more than having the implant inserted in the first place. And that's about it! 

The only thing I felt was the new implant going in, but I think that was more due to the fact I had a trainee doing the proceedure, and even then it wasn't painful. More like a little scratch that was over in a second. 

Hi, I'm on my 4th implant! Yes the nurse will change it early if you are having difficulties, but I would ask them to look at it sooner rather than later, as if it's bothering a nerve it might need doing now.

Im overweight and have had mine changed early due to getting hot flushes. It's an easy process but you will need to book in to have it done at your GUM clinic or contraceptive clinic, whichever does it in your area. Dr's don't do it anymore.

A little spot of local anaesthetic via injection, a tiny cut with a scalpel like blade, then the end grabbed with medical tweezers and slid out from under the skin. I had a stereo strip on the exit for a day or two.

I would expect to have yours sited in a different place, maybe the other arm.

Any other questions just ask

Thaks everyone! I just needed my mind settled a little, I have an appointment witht the nurse next week, I have it in my non-dominant arm (left) but if they can remove it and put a new one in the same arm then that's not so bad, all that I'm worried about is whether if I get it in the same arm will it move and cause the same feeling again. I've only been having this tingling a few weeks but it's been getting stronger in feeling and I can't feel it anymore so that's why I was thinking of getting it switched over. As for side affects, I go between having no perioids for months to a few months bleeding everyday but it doesn't bother me much, apart from that everything is hunky dory!

I looked at dfferent contraception options, I went on the imlant as I reacted badly to the pill and mini-pill so I can't take that. I thought about the coil but feel I'm too young for that and the implant is ideal as i;m a scatter brain so having it in and not worrying about pill times is a godsend.

Thanks again for everyone's words of wisdom, silly me being a worry wort as usual ^_^ xx

I still have a really big scar from having mine removed, like a cm round circle that is really obvious :( I changed for the vaginal ring which is pretty much the same as the implant but in a ring that you put in for three weeks and take out for one to have your period, I was a nutter on the implant and I like having periods tbh
Definitely tell them about the tingling as if it has caught a nerve or something and they try and cut it out it could cause some lasting damage, they may need someone more skilled if it's in a tricky position

Possibly stupid male question but why has it got to be your arm rather than else where?

Quiet ones are worse! wrote:

Possibly stupid male question but why has it got to be your arm rather than else where?

Hmmmmm I've never actually thought of that. Pretty good question! ^_^

MissNoir wrote:

Quiet ones are worse! wrote:

Hmmmmm I've never actually thought of that. Pretty good question! ^_^

Very goodquestion, I googled it and couldnt find the answer either, Any doctors on the forum lol :)

Im curious now as well ![](upload://ez5kOkpKXRZOxjavAURYmQxVTau.gif)

Is it not just for convenience?

VioletWolf wrote:

Is it not just for convenience?

Yes I guess, just thought it would be nearer stomach for some reason.

Is Implants fairly new?

I dont know much about it to be honest and my previous partner had coil fitted.

So its always good to find out about new options and benifits of them :)

The skin in your arm is thin and the upper part doesn't move much and if it did break it can't do much. In your stomach you bend a lot and it's near vitals and the skin is pretty thick.

I had the mirena coil for contraception and let me tell you it is the best thing! Changed my life! I tell everyone I know to go for it my mom told me about it and honestly I was really scared to do it but my god I'll never go back! No problems with it whatsoever and having no periods at all is heaven on earth aha I've had it 2 years now and never had any issues with it although I am beginning to miss having periods believe it or not lol arm implants have the worst rating , the mirena coil is honestly the best option , I had no choice for mine as I had serious menstruation problems nothing helped it only made it worse until I got the mirena coil it's heaven after you get past the first two weeks , I'd really consider it MissNoir if the implants giving you grief xx

Boox wrote:

I had the mirena coil for contraception and let me tell you it is the best thing! Changed my life! I tell everyone I know to go for it my mom told me about it and honestly I was really scared to do it but my god I'll never go back! No problems with it whatsoever and having no periods at all is heaven on earth aha I've had it 2 years now and never had any issues with it although I am beginning to miss having periods believe it or not lol arm implants have the worst rating , the mirena coil is honestly the best option , I had no choice for mine as I had serious menstruation problems nothing helped it only made it worse until I got the mirena coil it's heaven after you get past the first two weeks , I'd really consider it MissNoir if the implants giving you grief xx

Thanks Boox, I was thinking about the Mirena Coil but I feel I'm too young for it but it is an option I'd consider, I'm going to see what the nurse says this week before deciding whether to get a new implant or go for another option of contraception ^_^ xx

There are many options these days, wish there was more options for men lol ![](upload://h7LJ67OOrR57VDYrj5ZEwwHAfLG.gif) Condoms or snip , Im not a fan of either lol

Throbinhood wrote:

There are many options these days, wish there was more options for men lol ![](upload://h7LJ67OOrR57VDYrj5ZEwwHAfLG.gif) Condoms or snip , Im not a fan of either lol

They are (as far as I'm aware) currently doing tests on a male contraceptive pill to see if it's any good. I heard it on the news some time ago. :P Should really look it up to get a bit more information though as I haven't heard anything else recently.

KittenFeatures wrote:

Throbinhood wrote:

They are (as far as I'm aware) currently doing tests on a male contraceptive pill to see if it's any good. I heard it on the news some time ago. :P Should really look it up to get a bit more information though as I haven't heard anything else recently.

Yes they have been on about that for years, not sure if or when its available though ![](upload://ez5kOkpKXRZOxjavAURYmQxVTau.gif)

I would highly recommend the Mirena Coil too. I am twenty three and had mine in a few weeks ago, had an hour of spotting after it was inserted and then nothing since - not even any cramping!

Its an absolute godsend, no hassle or bother, lasts five years and no periods <3 Cannot recommend it enough. Ive also lost weight on it, 7lbs so far :D

Ugh I had the Mirena for 8 months and absolutely hated it. Had so much problems with it I finally had to give up and take it out :(

Sxleksaker wrote:

Ugh I had the Mirena for 8 months and absolutely hated it. Had so much problems with it I finally had to give up and take it out :(

Me too. First one agony during fitting and several hours after. After that no real issues.

Second one, not only was the fitting absolute agony (and to be honest I handle pain pretty well), but I had to have the 'strings' trimmed a couple of times and then still had issues during sex.

Had it removed and changed to implant. Just about to have third one fitted and can't see any issues likely. Simple procedure, small cut, whip it out, new one in, job done, good to go!!! Not even a stitch, just a couple of steri-strips.

I have been told I have a small cervix, don't know how much difference that makes with the coil.

We are all very different and just have to find what is best for us.