Implant removal and sex drive

Can anyone offer any feedback on how their sex drive was affected after contraceptive implant removal, positive or negative? This is her third in a row and fairly adamant that she’s not having another so other methods of contraception will be required. We are both done on kids so a vasectomy is an option but as I have discussed previously, I’m not convinced on how into me she is sexually anymore. Stuff happens but suffice to say I’m on rations rather than dining out regularly. I’m not so keen to go through a procedure which can have side effects if I’m still going to be surviving on scraps thrown from the table. Is there a possibility that implant removal could improve her sex drive?

Obviously everyone is different and the implant effects people in different ways but I didn’t get on with it. Not sure if effected my sex drive however it did make me more moody ect and I had it taken out not too long after it was put in. As for the Vasectomy, my husband had it done a few years ago. We both decided we were done having children (we’ve got 2) so I went and got sterilised and he got the snip (you can never be too safe LOL!!!) he was in some discomfort and pain for a month or so but was fine after that- same for me. We both get the odd niggles but I guess that’s expected after invasive procedures. Have you ever had an honest conversation about how she feels towards you sexually? There’s been times I’ve had absolutely no sexual interest in my husband. It’s not because I haven’t loved him or desired him- it’s been more about how I’ve felt about my self or just being absolutely exhausted from life in general. Maybe it would be good to talk about how you feel with her? Hopefully you might spark something as she might not even realise how this has effected you. Good luck nibblenob. Hopefully I’ve helped a little x

Never had one myself, but I know a couple of people who had their sex drives surpressed by an implant, and therefore it recovered when the implant was removed. I have a Mirena coil now, and if anything, my sex drive has been higher since I had that, so perhaps that is an option.

I had the implant just after my 3rd child and affected my moods quite bad and also the way I felt about myself and my partner. I've tried a few different options after and the one I've heard best things about is a mirena coil if body can tolerate but personally for me caused me more issues. The hormones are released over a longer period and the mirena coil stays in body for 5years so a long term option. My husband was refused a vasectomy due to age but due to complications for myself 4 months ago I had to have a subtotal hysterectomy and my sex drive has dramatically improved (we been together 12 years)

I found that most contraception including the pill, implant and IUD, depleted my sex drive totally and made me incredibly moody generally, and quite a horrible cow quite frankly!

I have recently been diagnosed with 'emotional instability' (a nicer way of putting Borderline Personality Disorder), so I struggle with my moods anyway and have done for so many years due to trauma.

I decided that I couldn't take how different contraceptives were making me feel emotionally, including being so tired and drained. A lot of options made my monthly's irregular anyway and much more severe tummy cramps and bleeding, which makes you feel stressed and like crap anyway!

I can only suggest that check your missus has tried every option available, do the research into ones she hasn't tried and she will be able to weigh up the best option for her. Talk to her about it and ask if her lack of sex drive bothers her, maybe it's just something she's got used to? Communication is important, especially how you feel as well (being put on rations).

I totally understand why you yourself are worried about taking the risk of sterilisation and that you need that guarantee that your missus is going to be more sexually active towards you. I understand that you don't want to make such a sacrifice in return for no improvement in the relationship as it is at the moment.

I really can't stress enough, that you have to bite the bullet and put your insecurities to her (especially as you're thinking she's not that into you anymore). I think this should be addressed and discussed first before any further or drastic decisions are made.

You shouldn't be forced into having a vasectomy either if you are not sure, like you say It's not worth the pain and side effects if you have any doubts whatsoever.

Implant removal, in my case, improved my sex drive a great deal, but everyone is different I'm afraid. Can you remember what she was like sexually and generally before going on (or when she wasn't on) any contraception at all?

I have read you have kids together, so any problems in the relationship need to dealt with so you are both happy as parents and the kids are too. They can pick up on things so easily if there's tension in the atmosphere between you both.

In the end, I decided to get sterilised, I'd properly known since I was 17 that I never wanted children. I knew I wouldn't be able to look after them properly with my mental issues and didn't think it would be fair for a child to have to deal with that. Extremely unfortunate I know, but I'm proud of my decision and know I've done the best thing.

I don't have to worry about the nasty side effects of contraceptives now and I didn't want my hubby to go under the knife, so I did. x

I wish you the best of luck and really feel for others that struggle with finding the right contraception.

Hope this has helped. ☺

Thanks for comments everyone, some good advice. Two sides to it really.

As far as contraception goes she has had three implants and generally been pretty positive experience. I remember at the time she had the first one thinking there was perhaps an increase in bad moods but that settled down and could just have been a hard time with then young kids. She doesn’t want another implant as she feels she needs a break from this method or perhaps some medical reason why doctors wouldn’t do a fourth one.

She has previously suggested the snip is the best option and I’ve looked into the possibile side effects which she has been rather blasé about. She is open to sterilisation herself but this seems to be a bigger operation with more chance of complications, I’d feel a bit of a wuss for not doing my bit and stepping up to the challenge of a smaller routine op.

As for the relationship side of things I have discussed that on here before and we have had some discussions ourselves. It’s not that we have no sex, it’s more that the sex kitten I used to know is somewhat suppressed. Kids, work, life, etc are a big part of this I know and that’s the reason given back to me when we have talked. But I also know if I’m away then the toy box is opened much more frequently than when I’m about. I’d say she’s a bit bored of the same cock, routine positions etc. That’s all a bigger conversation, was more trying to understand the impact of contraception on sex drive.

Sorry, I am going to repeat myself here from another post I wrote on too.

Vasectomy (and hysterectomy) needs to be viewed as a permanent operation and not a quick fix to an immediate problem.

Be 100% certain that nothing will change in the future about wanting children for you both before going down this path.

Could you look into an IUD, something that won't impact on hormones?

Messing with hormones can have such an impact on anyone's state of mind and even sex drive but perhaps have a good chat about her sexual interests is needed too... Perhaps a trial of the IUD to see if it the hormones? Or maybe tracking cycles and condom use to have the break, just to help determine if it may be the implant before making life-changing choices.

As Leanne said I feel any type of permanent soloution needs a lot of thought and even with your mindset now something could change in future. I know when my partner removed her implant her drive literally disappeared, she had no real motivation for sex or affection, the same as when she’s been on the contraceptive pill. But she took a 6 month break from everything and we used condoms (which I’m more than happy to use) and she was like a rabbit and couldn’t get enough sex. Anything you put in your body to change your hormones is going to have an affect on you, whether it’s physical or mentally, it just affects everyone differently. From what I can get from your post though it seems your more concerned with how much sex your getting and this is common in relationships, two people may be perfect in every aspect but the bedroom department where they clash. I’d suggest talking to your partner and see what she likes, see if she’s bored of a sexual routine or wants to introduce role play/bondage/toys etc. Talk to her and just see how she feels about your sex life, just know taking the implant out won’t turn her into a sex doll which you can hop on anytime. Her drive has probably been changed due to the hormones but it will change again when she’s off, and that’s not going to do anything if she’s not a really affectionate or sexual person.

I’m increasingly concerned about the link between hormonal contraceptives and depression.....not conclusive yet, but still something I’m curious about, so I’m changing to the copper IUD tomorrow. My only concern about coming off the pill is if it kills my sex drive, but I want to feel what it is like to be free of additional hormones influencing my emotions. Not a magic bullet, I’m sure, but worth a shot.

I agree with Leanne, although nothing worked for me personally, do look into the IUD.

The 'Depo-Provera' injection (for the woman) into the buttocks every three months is another option for contraception, but you do need to have a preliminary talk with your GP about this and then the nurse does it for you. Again it's different for everyone, I had heavy bleeding and low sex drive with it.

It's about finding what's best for your missus and you, a lot of experimenting I'm afraid. These types of contraceptives should all be explored before any drastic decision is made. As Leanne says, it's so important to be 100% sure before sterilisation for either of you.

Also, your GP is always there to help. You or your missus can discuss the supressed sex drive issue and this will be treated in confidence and you will be given tips and advice on how to deal with this phase you're both going through.

If you just ask, you will be given professional, helpful advice on how to choose the best contraceptive for you both. Don't be shy about discussing this with your doctor, it's important.

Sorry if I went too much off on a tangent rather than focusing just on the contraceptives and sex drive side of things. 😶

The depo is good but has a link with weight gain in woman - I personally gained a lot of weight.

Lots of good comments thanks. I’ve only got my phone at the moment, outside of the U.K. and getting some weird responses when I post so writing long replies is a bit frustrating if they got lost when I hit the post button. To do justice to the responses it’s probably best if I wait until I can reply properly on PC - lots of travelling coming up, I’ll come back later.

Ah yes sorry Nibblenob the forum seems to kick back on long replies or posts - even for me.

I find that splitting them into 2 or 3 posts work usually.

Hope that helps and safe journey!

Here's a thread I started last year about this which you may find helpful:

https://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/off-topic/1509666-implant-removal-feeling-happier/

My first implant was amaaazinnnggg, but my second was horrible. I felt awful, was moody and had periods that lasted 3-4 weeks at a time. NIGHTMARE.

I have an IUD now, and I love it.

Really helpful link thanks Jess. Now for that plane...

Having tried the implant, injections and mini pill - I have found all progesterone only contraception crushes my sex drive. You don’t realise until after you stop for a while. We moved to tracking cycles and using condoms and my sex drive has increased dramatically - I am talking from once a week or every two weeks, right up to once or twice a day. If you try something like that and seems to help and you’ve thought long and hard about getting the snip - you’ll then know if it’s going to help in the long term.

It's hard to say for me. I've been on the implant for over 10 years and have never had a break in between replacements. My boyfriend says my sex drive was higher when we were first together and we were just using condoms and after the implant came along it went very low.

I'd like to see what my sex drive and mood would be like if I got it removed properly. I actually want my tubes tied but I'm still "too young" apparently to make that decision for myself even though I'm nearly 30. Sad.

![](upload://f8zGclFeQx35HwZLqJ7J1rFzQ0n.gif)

I'm another who's found a direct link between hormones and depression/anxiety and sex drive.

My natural hormones caused my problems as a teen. I was horribly moody and absolutely sex-crazed!

The Pill killed my sex drive dead but didn't help my monthly miseries until I got so stressed at one point in my life I couldn't even cope with the thought of a period, I started taking my Pills back to back with no bleed break. Miraculously, no more moods or PMS bitchiness!

I know there's a Pill out now that only has a break every three months. I wonder if it helps with PMS?

Now, I'm on HRT patches. My monthly bitch is back with a bang, but I do have the added bonus of 10 days of fierce horniness. I initially took the HRT tablets and have never felt so ill with anxiety in my life. I was referred to a psychiatrist with an interest in women's' hormones and he suggested a change to the patch. Anxiety disappeared almost overnight.

I tried Mirena and was a total bitch! Plus I bled constantly and a dead sex drive. Definitely not for me. I believe the implant is a similar hormone.

Could you try condoms for a few months until her cycle settles? If you've hated normal ones, try the non-latex. I use them for allergy reasons, but OH says they're much better than standard types. Or ask about the contraceptive patch? Definitely keep a mood diary, though.

There are quite a few options out there, though I'd tend to go to a family planning clinic than a GP as they have more time to discuss difficulties.

Good luck.

I have the Mirena coil, it is the business. Never had an issue with it. As for implant removal, I didn't notice a difference in my sex drive but I was pregnant 😱

RosyCheek wrote:

I have the Mirena coil, it is the business. Never had an issue with it. As for implant removal, I didn't notice a difference in my sex drive but I was pregnant 😱

I would kill to have been able to get on with Mirena. I have to use combined patches because I still have a womb and can't cope with Mirena, and the second set of patches are a PITA.

If I could use the Mirena I'd be able to have the gel and be able to sort my dosage better.

I hope my earlier post about Mirena didn't put anyone off as most people I know, like you, RosyCheek, love theirs.