Liquid Silk on Fleshlight

Hello you wonderful people, I have a problem.

I bought a big bottle of Liquid Silk to be used with my Fleshlight (that I got in the same box with it), but, as I found out completely by accident (looking up reviews and guides on how to close that darn pump top), it's not fully water based, as it contains 2% silicone.
Now, I only would've known this if I read the ingredient list, but as the description under that list called the lube water based and safe for sex toys, I thought I knew everything I needed to know. The fact that it contains silicone isn't mentioned anywhere else.
As we all probably know, silicone lubes aren't good for sex toys that also contain silicone, and it's by sheer luck that I couldn't be bothered unlocking the pump bottle and used one of my older lubes to try out the Fleshlight.

The lady I contacted here said that it should be safe "as long as I clean and dry thoroughly" but with a toy like a Fleshlight that has an inside that you can't reach and lots of nooks and crannies, perfect cleaning seems out of reach, and if the lube hurts the material, it still does it while it's on.
And I read forum posts elsewhere that claim it to be incompatible because it does damage to it over time and that other "trademarked materials" like Superskin and Real Skin are not recommended with this lube either.

Sending the lube back isn't really an option (I live outside the UK, it'd cost more money than it's worth) and I can't really find a use for it elsewhere (I have anal lube for my personal use and I'm not in a relationship for vaginal use) so I really have to know, from someone with experience or really sure knowledge about this; is it safe to use Liquid Silk with a Fleshlight? Will it damage the toy in the long run and shorten its lifespan?

Liquid Silk really is lovely and long-lasting, but as a hybrid lube I'd only suggest using it for sex and with non-silicone and non-realistic feel toys. As you say, a lot of the realistic-feel materials are proprietary formulations that will use a proportion of silicone in them.

I wouldn't risk it. I mean, it might be OK but not worth damaging your £££ Fleshlight. It could end up very sticky and degraded.

Go water-based, and keep topping your Fleshlight up with cornflour/renewal powder after you've washed and dried it to keep it in tip-top, silky smooth condition.

I've used liquid silk on realistic sleeves and dildos UR3, vixskin and cyberskin and haven't seen any kind of damage or degrading but I do look after them wash them before and straight after use, I never knew liquid silk had silicone in either,maybe this is why it's such a good lube.i think it would only do damage if left on without cleaning, at 2% I think I would chance it.

All right, thanks for the info, it's good to know for sure.
But as I said, I thought I went water based, because the product's page claims it IS water based. It also says that it's sex toy safe, which is also untrue and misleading, and it should be fixed ASAP.

Being mislead and not being able to use or return something I bought specifically for that purpose is just one thing I'm angry about though; as I said, it's only by luck that I didn't pour my new Fleshlight full of it and damaging it, thinking it was water based and sex toy safe like the product's page says.

By the way, this is not the first time I complained about or suggested improvements about the lack of information about the materials of the products. Listing things as just "Rubber" isn't enough information as there are different kinds of rubbers, dildos rarely have information about their softness, silicone products don't have it listed if they are not 100% silicone (and what they are mixed with when they aren't) and gel toys (that I wish Lovehoney should've stopped selling long ago) don't come with a warning that this kind of material leaks chemicals via off-gassing and they aren't safe for internal use, especially anal use.

Lovehoney is a quality company, so I'd expect more transparency from them in such issues.

I've been using Liquid Silk with my 'realistic vagina' toy and haven't noticed any issues although I always clean it after every use. I didn't know it contained silicone as well - so I guess Liquid Silk is out if condoms need to be involved which they do right now?

By the way OP, and without meaning to hijack the thread, did you get any tips on how to close the pump without wasting a load of lube? I'm thinking about getting some sort of little tub and decanting it into that so none gets wasted at all. Also, I think it should be safe to leave the pump open at home as it doesn't seem to leak.

Incidentally, if it was going to mess up the toy would it have done so by now, or can it happen at any time? So far the only difference I've noticed is the pink colouring on the lips has gone, but then again that went first time I used it which was with KY Jelly.

Is Liquid Silk safe to use with a Jessica Rabbit slimline?

Not really. I unscrewed the whole spout-pipe thing, pulled it out, pumped it back into the bottle until there was no more, pushed the spout in, put it back on the bottle then tried my best to screw it on holding the rest of the spout-pipe thing. It's still way messier than it needs to be, but it's a pretty good method.

The reason why I screwed it back in is because I probably won't use it for a while, and since I keep it in a drawer, I don't want the spout to turn sideways and potentially leak.

I had a similar gripe with Liquid Silk: I wanted to use it with my Fun Factory anal beads (medical-grade silicone) and asked the live chat whether it'd be safe or not. They said it'd be fine because it's such a small amount, and I haven't had any problems so far. Your apprehension is understandable, so opting for a purely water-based lubricant might be your best option. I've had to adopt your technique of locking the pump, as well, which I did include in my review. Sorry you didn't find it!

Regarding your gripe about composition materials ... I agree. I did a fair bit of research on sex toys and what to avoid when buying due to the harsh chemicals present in a disturbingly large amount of toys. From what I've read, the brands to go for are ones such as Tantus and Fun Factory—the price does indeed reflect the quality. I'd avoid SIl-A-Gel toys such as Doc Johnson. Buyers should be made aware of the potential harmfulness of some toys, and I'd like to direct readers to this very handy link which helped me make very informed buying decisions: http://dangerouslilly.com/2010/10/yes-jelly-sex-toys-can-be-dangerous/

(I'm not quite sure if linking that website breaks the advertisement rules ... if it does, mods, please take it down and accept my apologies in advance.)

Not really. I unscrewed the whole spout-pipe thing, pulled it out, pumped it back into the bottle until there was no more, pushed the spout in, put it back on the bottle then tried my best to screw it on holding the rest of the spout-pipe thing. It's still way messier than it needs to be, but it's a pretty good method.

The reason why I screwed it back in is because I probably won't use it for a while, and since I keep it in a drawer, I don't want the spout to turn sideways and potentially leak.

Ah... that sounds like a great method and similar to what I've been trying although my method still involves wasting what's in the pump. Once the whole pump assembly is out of the bottle, I find it easy to close the pump and then simply screw it back on. It might be a bit of a faff, but it's better than wasting loads each time. Thanks, Goblin!

Regarding your gripe about composition materials ... I agree. I did a fair bit of research on sex toys and what to avoid when buying due to the harsh chemicals present in a disturbingly large amount of toys. From what I've read, the brands to go for are ones such as Tantus and Fun Factory—the price does indeed reflect the quality. I'd avoid SIl-A-Gel toys such as Doc Johnson. Buyers should be made aware of the potential harmfulness of some toys, and I'd like to direct readers to this very handy link which helped me make very informed buying decisions: http://dangerouslilly.com/2010/10/yes-jelly-sex-toys-can-be-dangerous/

Oh... wow after reading that, I'm a bit wary about using them at all now - I have a Doc Johnson UR3 Realistic Vagina and have just gone halves on a Jessica Rabbit Slimline with my girlfriend - would either of those have any health issues using Liquid Silk (either to ourselves or our toys) and how does Liquid Silk sit with condoms?

Damn. After being so disappointed with KY Jelly, I thought my experimentation with lube had come to an end with Liquid Silk but if it isn't safe for realistic toys that might not be the case...

S&A-Forever! wrote:

Oh... wow after reading that, I'm a bit wary about using them at all now - I have a Doc Johnson UR3 Realistic Vagina and have just gone halves on a Jessica Rabbit Slimline with my girlfriend - would either of those have any health issues using Liquid Silk (either to ourselves or our toys) and how does Liquid Silk sit with condoms?

I haven't had any problems with condom use, and honestly, I think the silicone content is negligible, so I wouldn't worry too much about using it with various toys. Keep in mind that my Liquid Silk use only goes as far as using it with a Fun Factory toy, Durex Thin Feel condoms, a Tracey Cox masturbation sleeve, and two Lovehoney own-brand silicone toys.

I feel like quite a party pooper by providing a link to that article, but it's the sad truth about the sex toy industry. I certanly don't want to discourage people from buying what they like the look of (I love this company too much to scaremonger and drive away potential loyal customers) but I do think that people should be making informed buying decisions. If you're going to buy brands such as Doc Johnson, just clean them thoroughly and keep in mind that they won't have a lifepsan as long as more expensive brands.

ExciterMode wrote:

S&A-Forever! wrote:

I haven't had any problems with condom use, and honestly, I think the silicone content is negligible, so I wouldn't worry too much about using it with various toys.

I feel like quite a party pooper by providing a link to that article, but it's the sad truth about the sex toy industry. I certanly don't want to discourage people from buying what they like the look of (I love this company too much to scaremonger and drive away potential loyal customers) but I do think that people should be making informed buying decisions. If you're going to buy brands such as Doc Johnson, just clean them thoroughly and keep in mind that they won't have a lifepsan as long as more expensive brands.

Thanks - I think I might save up for a Fleshlight (I guess they provide far better sensations as well?) How about the Jessica Rabbit Slimline - is that OK to use? Last thing I want to do is buy a toy for my girlfriend that could be harmful. It has already arrived and we're planning to use it when we meet on Sunday.

S&A-Forever! wrote:

Thanks - I think I might save up for a Fleshlight (I guess they provide far better sensations as well?) How about the Jessica Rabbit Slimline - is that OK to use? Last thing I want to do is buy a toy for my girlfriend that could be harmful.

Don't take my word as gospel—my sex toy collection is quite small, and I've only been using them for a few months—but I think that vibrator will be fine. I worry about these things because I mainly use anal toys, which raise more concerns about bacteria than a toy for vaginal use would. Go for it! :)

Don't worry about the Doc Johnson vagina, though. It's toys you put inside yourself that you might want to mull over.

KinkyGoblin,you should contact customer care,they might be able to help you with a refund and help you pick a different 100% water-based lube.

ExciterMode wrote:

S&A-Forever! wrote:

Thanks - I think I might save up for a Fleshlight (I guess they provide far better sensations as well?) How about the Jessica Rabbit Slimline - is that OK to use? Last thing I want to do is buy a toy for my girlfriend that could be harmful.

Don't take my word as gospel—my sex toy collection is quite small, and I've only been using them for a few months—but I think that vibrator will be fine. I worry about these things because I mainly use anal toys, which raise more concerns about bacteria than a toy for vaginal use would. Go for it! :)

Don't worry about the Doc Johnson vagina, though. It's toys you put inside yourself that you might want to mull over.

Thanks for that - I'll stick with what I have and if it rips or something, then I'll invest in a Fleshlight, knowing that it'll be here lightning quick thanks to LoveHoney's awesome service. :) My girlfriend has no interest in anal or anal toys, and neither do I so I guess we should be OK. :)

S&A-Forever! wrote:

Thanks for that - I'll stick with what I have and if it rips or something, then I'll invest in a Fleshlight, knowing that it'll be here lightning quick thanks to LoveHoney's awesome service. :) My girlfriend has no interest in anal or anal toys, and neither do I so I guess we should be OK. :)

Don't mention it. I hope she likes it! She's lucky to have someone that cares so much.

Kittyondrugz, the customer service girl I talked with didn't mention anything of the sort, just that I could return it, although it probably won't be worth it for me due to the postage, as I live outside the UK. I might try again.

S&A-Forever!, although I only had an LH stroker (which was way too small, sloppily made, tiring to use, and broke itself while drying) and I only had one run with my new Fleshlight (Misty Stone's Vagina, Lotus insert) I can easily say that the Fleshlight will be worth it. I see it even now that it will take some time getting used to, as using my hand so often gave me the "Death Grip" (interesting stuff: http://curedeathgrip.com) it feels just wonderful already and gave me an orgasm like I never had. Soft, not too intense insides, silky material, and a handle so you couldn't grip yourself too hard even if you tried.

I'll write a review after I had a few more dates with her. :)

ExciterMode wrote:

S&A-Forever! wrote:

Don't mention it. I hope she likes it! She's lucky to have someone that cares so much.

Thank you and I'm equally lucky to have her - she's one in a million. :)

Thanks to Goblin as well - sounds great!

KinkyGoblin wrote:

Hello you wonderful people, I have a problem.

I bought a big bottle of Liquid Silk to be used with my Fleshlight (that I got in the same box with it), but, as I found out completely by accident (looking up reviews and guides on how to close that darn pump top), it's not fully water based, as it contains 2% silicone.
Now, I only would've known this if I read the ingredient list, but as the description under that list called the lube water based and safe for sex toys, I thought I knew everything I needed to know. The fact that it contains silicone isn't mentioned anywhere else.
As we all probably know, silicone lubes aren't good for sex toys that also contain silicone, and it's by sheer luck that I couldn't be bothered unlocking the pump bottle and used one of my older lubes to try out the Fleshlight.

The lady I contacted here said that it should be safe "as long as I clean and dry thoroughly" but with a toy like a Fleshlight that has an inside that you can't reach and lots of nooks and crannies, perfect cleaning seems out of reach, and if the lube hurts the material, it still does it while it's on.
And I read forum posts elsewhere that claim it to be incompatible because it does damage to it over time and that other "trademarked materials" like Superskin and Real Skin are not recommended with this lube either.

Sending the lube back isn't really an option (I live outside the UK, it'd cost more money than it's worth) and I can't really find a use for it elsewhere (I have anal lube for my personal use and I'm not in a relationship for vaginal use) so I really have to know, from someone with experience or really sure knowledge about this; is it safe to use Liquid Silk with a Fleshlight? Will it damage the toy in the long run and shorten its lifespan?

Don't worry, I use Sliquid Silk all the time with my Jimmyjanes, Jopen and VixSkin toys and they are all totally fine with it, even though the Sliquid Silk has 12% silicone. And I am not the only one, there is folks all over the world who do so. Sales people and manufacturers have to make sure they can't be held liable thus they go the safe route and discourage you from using it with silicone toys, but as long as your toy is made of high grade/premium silicone it should be fine, only cheaper silicone can't tolerate the hybrid lubes.

As for the listing under water-based lubes, it clearly is listed there because its main ingredient is water, its a common way to list and not at all deceiving or wrong.

Next time just order some Sliquid Sassy or Maximus Anal for toy use. It is thicker than normal water-based lube and stays longer on the spot without running or drying too fast.

As I said, the material is Realistic Feel, which is a blend. The quality of my toys shouldn't matter anyway (not like I knew what the quality of my silicone toys is like, since they don't tell me).

The problem is that they should not call it water-based and sex toy safe on the product's page to make me buy it and then back off and play it safe by calling it hybrid and discouraging me from using it on my toys after I bought it and complained. This is dishonest business policy.