Lovehoney Silicone Lube

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=31587

So I just bought a few of these in the sale. If silicone lube is as good as everyone says I'll end up making Sliquid Silver my new regular, but this seemed a budget way to try before you buy.

But having received, the bottle says 'for external use only'. I don't get it, how can a sexual lubricant that is condom-safe not be safe for internal use? Or is this one of those silly legal disclaimers such as 'sold as a novelty only'?

This is a very good question, so posting a response to remind me to look at the answers here.

Personally, I always go water based, and you can see my review of Maximum lube here: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=13085&reviewid=175529#customer_reviews

I would go to this lube for anything now - not just anal. Well worth a try.

I think it says that on all of the own-brand lubes, at last it does on the ones that I have, including the water-based ones. I'm assuming it's just a disclaimer :)

Sex Squid , I've got the same lube and have used it with suitable sex toys and for vaginal and anal sex without any probs.
As you say maybe it's one of those disclaimers . Have noticed that on the product information page for this item it says it's uses are for sex and sex toys so I'm assuming that by sex they mean penetration ....it's bit late for me to worry about that now as I've used it countless times !

That's good to know guys, thank you :)

I've never understood novelty disclaimers on sex toys. This is just guesswork, and I have neither legal knowledge, nor know of a specific case to base this on... but you have to wonder whether such a 'novelty' disclaimer would actually stand up in court? After all, it's a sex toy, sold by a sex retailer, and every other aspect of packaging suggests sexual use. Would be interesting to see if retailers would be able to use the defense 'you're meant to display it on the mantlepiece, not insert it' 😂

@matnem, yep Maximus is a good lube, must've been through half a dozen of the 250ml bottles (and have also reviewed), but it's tested on animals, and I only buy vegan lubes these days. 🐙

I suppose its like on a pack of peanuts they say "may contain nuts". Need to cover your back these days.

Why most people so tentative about silicone based lube?
I just bought my first bottle
My understanding is don't use with toys but condoms are fine

Dr Gray wrote:

Why most people so tentative about silicone based lube?
I just bought my first bottle
My understanding is don't use with toys but condoms are fine

Well yeah that's my understanding too, can't use with with silicone toys, but fine for everything else. Hence why I'm wondering why LH would add a disclaimer basically saying you shouldn't use it for sex.. I'll put it to livechat and see what they say :)

Hi Sex Squid, we queried this a while ago on a different lube, basically it's a way of ensuring a clear passage through customs checks as it may be classed as a medicine or medical product if I remember correctly, I'm sure a live chatter'll be able to confirm this.

And the thing about silicone lube and silicone toys is vastly over-blown too.

We use Pjur 'Original' and Pjur 'Woman' silicone lubes with all our toys (and they are all silicone) and they are just fine. The toys are from 'good' makes like Tantus and Fun Factory which are platinum cure silicone so my belief is that good silicone toys are just fine with good silicone lubes.

Ah cool, thanks Katy, just seen your email too :)

@Gyrator53, I plan to do a patch test on either my Godemiche or LH lifelike silicone toy soon and see how that goes. I daren't risk damaging any of my Vixen dildos!

Sex Squid wrote:

@Gyrator53, I plan to do a patch test on either my Godemiche or LH lifelike silicone toy soon and see how that goes. I daren't risk damaging any of my Vixen dildos!

The only Vixen toy we have is a Nexus that has not been out of the box in a while (maybe 10 years !) so can't swear that it's been used with the Pjur lubes but since Vixen go in for some decidedly interesting materials I'm sure a patch test is the thing to do.

We have a Tantus Cush o2 that we were very careful about as it has a very soft outer layer but, like the others, it has been fine.

Why don't you ask on the live chat and see what LH say? I'd be intersted in knowing if you get an answer.

bunual wrote:

Why don't you ask on the live chat and see what LH say? I'd be intersted in knowing if you get an answer.

The answer is above from Katy ^^^^

NatandTom

wrote:

Another member asked this about Lovehoney's silicone lubricant recently. It basically is just a disclaimer for customs. It's perfectly safe to use internally.

Here's the other thread: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/sex-toys/1551466-lovehoney-silicone-lube/ :)

Thanks NatandTom, I was just curious as I have myself used it both ways with no adverse reactions but though better check it to be on safe side. I do have an organic lubricant which says on it safe to use internally so that's why I was slightly puzzled by the contradictions of the information on the bottle and the reviews.
Thanks NatandTom.

You're welcome, hope that has reassured you!

Thought that I woul resurrect an old thread as I have some questions that I haven’t found an answer to in relation to silicone lube.

Is it safe for consumption? Of course I don’t mean eating it for the sake of it but if you use it during sex or foreplay, is it safe to give / receive oral?

I know that it is basically water proof and would require some scrubbing to get off, so how do you clean it from your anus?

These probably seem like daft questions to most but they are genuine, I have lovehoney’s own and the sliquid hybrid but I am unsure about using them before I had the answers. Thanks all for reading.

KinkyMinxMoo wrote:

Thought that I woul resurrect an old thread as I have some questions that I haven’t found an answer to in relation to silicone lube.

Is it safe for consumption? Of course I don’t mean eating it for the sake of it but if you use it during sex or foreplay, is it safe to give / receive oral?

I know that it is basically water proof and would require some scrubbing to get off, so how do you clean it from your anus?

These probably seem like daft questions to most but they are genuine, I have lovehoney’s own and the sliquid hybrid but I am unsure about using them before I had the answers. Thanks all for reading.

Safe for consumption? I dont know definitively but Im still alive and have given her oral when well lubed up. It doesnt taste bad, I wouldnt drink it but pretty sure it wont hurt you, the primary ingredient of a good quality silicone lube is technically listed as "nontoxic" according to health and safety charts.

It is mostly waterproof, that is to say that a very thin layer will remain under even flowing water, however its effectiveness as a lubrication is reduced some under water though it is still the best option I have found. Cleaning off your body isnt that difficult, just use a good soap, but also be aware that soap does not lather very well when in contact with silicone lube. I use a sponge and shower gel to clean up, although the sponge isnt really necessary. I also use this for toys, just have to use lots of soap. Getting it off everything else is another matter. Be careful if you use this in the bath or shower, it makes surfaces very slippery and could be easy to slip and fall.

I have used most of the silicone lubes sold here and the best hands down is Pjur. I do also like hybrids, lubido is very good too. I often use Pjur and mix it with LH waterbased to make my own hybrid and while it separates over time, a quick shake and its back to being hybrid again lol.

Regarding other comments above about toys. It is perfectly safe to use Silicone Lube with most toys, just have to be careful with Silicone toys.

Two things happen in my experience. One is the lube doesnt work great for somethings when silicone toys are involved. For example, if you use it with a silicone butt plug and leave the plug in for a little while, it will be difficult to remove the plug because it will basically feel like all the lube has dried up. I don't really know if the lube bonds with the surface of the toy causeing it to effectively dry out or what but its not great.

The second thing is the toy can be damaged by the lube. I have seen some toys develop surface deformations, dips and ripples etc . . I have also seen layers of a toy seemingly peel off leaving tiny balls or bits of the toy on your hand if you rub hard. You can tell if the lube is reacting to the toy usually because it will be extremely difficult to impossible to fully clean the silcone lube off the toy and it will remain kind of tacky.

However, most silicone toys I have played with have been fine. Look for "platinum cured" which is a process that results in a more stable silicone that is generally safe with the lube. If you do use a toy that reacts with the lube, dont worry, you wont ruin in one session, it would take many sessions to damage the toy usually. I have used the Lovehoney Lifelike Lover dildoes with Silicone lube for example and no problems.

Thank you for your response KingGirth but how would you clean it from inside your anus or vagina, for example? If you can’t scrub in there, how do you get clean?

Also, good idea on the hybrid; I like the idea of the hybrid but never thought about making one with my lovehoney’s own brand. Might have to try as to be honest, I am not too keen on the sliquid hybrid so far. Are lubricants safe to mix?