Nail polish - chit chat

The green is gorgeous!

1 Like

@Ian_Chimp - Oh I think the red would look fabulous on your hands too - a real statement. I just like the grey cos it’s 'phisticated, na’at mean?

@Lovehoney_Brenna - WOOOOOOOOOW!!! …and are we still talking natural nails here? - cos that’s one hell of a shaping job. :astonished:

1 Like

Yeah, although I am going to be cutting them soon. @SexInTheCity has inspired me to try coffin nails for the first time!

2 Likes

@Labyrinth - Those look incredible!!! I’m gonna need to think what my Halloween nails will be…

@Ian_Chimp - I’m loving the mixture! I think the peppermint green is my fave :heart_eyes: and kudos to you… They’re very neat, I’m questioning whether this really is the first time you’ve painted nails!

@Lovehoney_Brenna - That mirror finish is INSANE! Does it stay like that?! Sometimes I find they dull after a day or so but that looks incredible!

3 Likes

I’ve just realised the top coat I’m using is meant to be for gel nails :joy: explains why it’s holding

1 Like

The peppermint is getting a lot of love. :slightly_smiling_face: I even lent it to Mrs Chimp last night too as she rather fancied it. Crazily she did both hands the same colour? Nutjob.

2 Likes

Goodness me! She’ll start matching her toes to her hands soon… :exploding_head:

1 Like

I daren’t keep it on longer than for a photograph, the quality is suspect to say the least :joy:

1 Like

I checked the ingredients of my Mirror base + top coat compared to the Poundland one, and they’re actually completely different:

Chemicals

Mirror ‘Base + Top Coat’:

Water/Aqua, Polyurethane-1, Acrylates Copolymer, Stearalkonium, Hectorite, Silica, Phenoxyethanol

Poundland ‘Top & Base Coat’:

Ethyl Acetate, Butyl Acetate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Cellulose Acetate, Butyrate, Sucrose Benzoate, Phthalic Anhydride/Trimellitic Anhydride/Glycois Copolymer, Camphor, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Aqua, Butylene Glycol

Does anyone have any ingredients they avoid? And how about acetone or non-acetone remover?

It seems odd to me that there are so few ingredients in the mirror polish :confused:

I don’t know about avoiding chemicals but the usual rule with removers is avoid acetone unless you have to i think. Acetone is really strong so is most likely to damage your nails but it’s also one of the only things that’ll actually remove strong nail stuff like gels. For normal nail polish you can get away with weaker stuff, whether a different solvent or more dilute Acetone

2 Likes

Also hold the nail varnish remover soaked pad on the nail for 30ish second before swiping off the polish, it will come away easier as the remover has had a chance to soak deeper into the layers of polish :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Regarding Acetone… I’m a member of a reddit group for guys who wear nail polish. One of the members works as a welder. Before the metal is welded, it has to be de-greased with neat acetone - which is a bit of a problem if you’ve got painted nails. :grin: His post is quite fun to look at. Check out the 2nd picture:

https://www.reddit.com/r/malepolish/comments/j645wc/who_doesnt_like_a_bit_of_workshop_action_expect/

3 Likes

That’s just the base coat, not the mirror bottle. :slightly_smiling_face:

Here's the Mirror Polish

Butyl Acetate, Ethyl Acetate, Nitrocellulose, Acrylates Copolymer, Adipic Acid/Neopentyl Glycol/Trimelltic Anhydride Copolymer, Alcohol, Acetyl Tributyl Citrate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Stearalkonium Hectorite, Silica, CI 77000 (Aluminium Powder)

…and would sir like an olive in that?

2 Likes

That makes a lot more sense! It was just the base and top coat that made your nails feel funny, wasn’t it?

I thought so, but I tried it again yesterday
just on my thumb nail and it didn’t sting at all. Maybe I was neater this time and didn’t smear it all over my skin. :slightly_smiling_face:

I made a mess of the mirror polish though, so I didn’t take a photo. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

That’s good, definitely keep an eye on it though. Polish shouldn’t hurt when you apply it :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, it shouldn’t. I wouldn’t worry about a slight feeling of tightness, though - that’s par for the course, varies from one product to another, and it passes off. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This topic is a bad influence, 5 more polishes have arrived :see_no_evil:

3 Likes