Nail polish - chit chat

Yeah I’m getting better with not layering it too thick though do still mess up a bit occasionally (i had the polish on both index fingers peel clean off today after i showered so obviously did those too thick. Hopefully I’ve done the redo a bit better).

I struggle with waiting while they dry too, the amount of times I’ve been too hasty and ended up having to do some nails again because I’ve caught it on something :joy: Do not assume it’s completely set just because it feels dry, give it a bit longer otherwise i can guarantee you’ll catch it on something and the wet underneath will cause a weird lumpy smear

2 Likes

Some nail polishes can stain your nails - not the colour of the polish but often a slight yellow / generally dingy colour. The base coat stops this from happening. Having said that I almost never bother with it!

All base coats are universal (correct me if I’m wrong!) though I’m not sure about top coats for gels Vs non-gels.

I only use non-gel varnish and I use the same top coat for everything except matt (if I can be bothered at all). The exception is if you are using a matt varnish you’ll want a matt topcoat.

You can also get some that double as a base and a top coat so you can use it for both.

I also find soaking in water works too - when I try to remove splotches from my skin with polish remover I always end up also removing it from my nails :woman_facepalming:t3:but I’ve found if I sit in a bath and soak them then any spills will peels of my fingers or toes with a little gentle scrubbing

2 Likes

This is great, thank you. :slightly_smiling_face:

I tried the mirror one last night as curiosity got the better of me :slightly_smiling_face: (the light was terrible though, so I definitely think painting nails is a daylight job). It is really shiny, like proper mirror shiny. :slightly_smiling_face: I could’ve done a much better job of coverage (mix it better, do it when you can see what you’re doing, etc), but it only took one base coat, one mirror coat, and one top coat. :+1:

The base and top coat did make my fingers tingle for awhile, which was of some concern. :slightly_smiling_face: And, once done, they felt really tight like they’d shrunk. It was an unusual feeling. I may google the ingredients.

I’ve been using @MsSubExperimenter tip of cotton buds soaked in nail polish remover. I shape the tip a bit too to get a nice edge on it. :+1:

Just in case it wasn’t obvious, I am new to painted nails. :slightly_smiling_face: The pink was my first and the golden toes was my second. I’ve now had a sneaky third go with the mirror one, but no pictures (I thought I’d practice, and pop a picture up Monday when Brenna is back in :+1:).

Hopefully me stumbling through it from a completely cold start may prove useful for others reading along who may want to join in. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

5 Likes

I have not contributed thus far as my nails are in no state to show off. I used to wear polish all the time as a teenager and had pretty decent talons but work these days means they get barely any care at all, are never painted, rather short and are usually pretty grubby and I feel very sorry for them.

Week off work soon though and this thread is inspiring me to give them a little TLC and a spruce up! Never used gels as they weren’t really a thing when my nails were painted regularly. Loving the sound of the Magic Mirror polish though and looking forward to the pictures on Monday as I think it sounds great and I might have to invest in some! :laughing:

4 Likes

I don’t think finger nails would last me with all the housework, but I liked my pretty feet. I kept forgetting I’d done it, and then surprising myself whenever I took my socks off. :slightly_smiling_face: They lasted about 2/3 days before getting a little ragged at the tips, but I hadn’t used a base coat or top coat, so that might give them a boost? I’m also shoeless for most of the day, so I don’t know if that affects anything?

The magic mirror set was £3 in TK Maxx :+1:

4 Likes

I have been out foraging again. :slightly_smiling_face: I took the knowledge you all kindly donated and had a browse of some shops. I obviously don’t want to spend a million pounds, so I’m being a tad frugal, but I did find some treasure in Poundland:

And I got some Essie gel-setter 3D pop tints from TK Maxx. (I am still confused by this)

I feel a bit more set up now. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Flamin’ eck, Ian - when you do a thing, you really go for it, dontcha! I started out with two bottles of anonymous tat from a market stall! :rofl:

1 Like

Mine was all donated basically from my mum and older sister, with the occasional ones bought for stuff like Christmas stockings.

Also i was just looking online to try and see how much some base coat would cost, is it just me or is it hard now to buy non gel nail polish?

You seem surprised. :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: Aaah, the links don’t pop a picture in like the others. I’ll embed them in the list above. :+1:

And Glamour magazine said this about the Poundland Nail Varnish:

The nail polish

These polishes are banging. They dry down completely in four minutes flat, come in a wide range of shades including a few glittery finishes, and provide a rich colour that only requires one coat.

Plus, it doesn’t contain Dibutyl Phthalate, toluene, formaldehyde, formaldehyde resin or camphor - five toxic chemicals that can be found in nail polish. Winning.

2 Likes

@Ace12345 - I wouldn’t say it’s hard to buy non-gel nail polish - not in the high street stores, anyway - but the NP world has kinda gone a bit gel-mad.

1 Like

Good point it’s probably still ok in actual shops, though now is not exactly a good time to go out and buy stuff a lot. But yeah like you said gel nails seem to be the big thing

@Ace12345 I’ve used Rainbow Connection (https://rainbow-connection.co.uk/)in the past (the only place I could get F.U.N in the UK) and they’re pretty good for non-gel polishes online. I still go there to drool over the polishes!

2 Likes

I really liked the mirror set (even though I did them poorly :slightly_smiling_face:), but the base/top coat was a bit stingy and the polish seems to have dyed my fingers a little. This has made me somewhat reluctant to have another go quite yet. :slightly_smiling_face:

Instead I used the ridge filler base last night, and that didn’t sting at all, so I’m going to compare the chemicals in them. I may need more practice with that too though, as I’m sure it made my nails more textured, not less. :slightly_smiling_face:

The Poundland Pillar Box Red was great. One coat and done :+1: (well, not including top and base). I also used the Ciate Peppermint, which is a great colour, but that needed 3 coats. Turns out I really like having two different pretty feet. :slightly_smiling_face:

And I used the Essie Reign Check on my finger nails. That was interesting. As I was applying it some of the nails went a bit gloopy, but it made them look like I’d covered them in beaten metal (which was pretty cool), but this morning they’ve smoothed out loads.

I wore it on the school run. I don’t think anyone even noticed. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Maybe do a patch test with them, the crease of the arm is usually a good spot as it is fairly sensitive. You might be allergic to one of the ingredients in it?

1 Like

@Ian_Chimp my battle with Mirror polishes goes back years, I finally found the perfect one but I have my doubts it’s safe to use :joy:

This one’s packaging screams, ‘This Will Dissolve Your Hands’. :slightly_smiling_face: It was really shiny though. I did it in the evening with my phone torch as extra light, but it just bounced that light right back into my face. :slightly_smiling_face: And the top coat made it feel like my nails had shrunk. But it was so incredibly shiny… :slightly_smiling_face:

(just in case anyone had got muddled, the one in photo isn’t the mirror one, it’s the Essie Reign Check)

That was my undoing, I got obsessed with having them completely mirrored. I’ll see if I can find the danger polish, it will probably be okay over the top of the gels for 30 seconds. It dries in like 10 seconds and smells like paint thinner :face_vomiting: Buy your polishes from reputable companies gang haha!

4 Likes

It is staggering what toxic substances are allowed to be in nail products. Hasn’t stopped me wanting to try that Instant Mirror stuff though - sounds amazing! :sunglasses:

@Ian_Chimp - re. your most recent experiments

That is one in-yer-face shade of red, innit! I’m really liking the graphite grey the most, though. Very cool. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@Labyrinth - I love your pumpkin season nails. Actually, they make me think of traditional Japanese prints. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

You reckon? I’m leaning heavily towards the red. :slightly_smiling_face: I really liked the pink from before though too, and the green is nice as an ‘odd sock’.